Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Comments

I was using the Greens as an example really, but yes it all basically comes down to tactical voting whether you get one vote, or a transferable vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

One English Political Party we need here urgently is the Monster Raving Lunatic Party. At the last election I did not want to vote for any of the parties so I ended up giving my No 1 to what I considered was the worst Independent on the Ballot after that my order of preferance was next worst Independent followed by least worst party (hard to differenciate between them). It would have been nice to have MRLP so that we could all focus our protest votes there.

Our current party choice is

FF\FG Incompetent \ Safe

SF Competent \ Dangerous

Greens Incompetent \ Dangerous

The Rest God Help us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I always wondered how the total lunatic independents (like the infamous "Jobs not Condoms" guy from the 90s) got any votes at all, but now I know! 😂

What reason would you have to say SF are competent? Their record up north is far from stellar.

Scrap the cap!

It's how democracy works in most places which are not the UK or US - which are barely deserving of the label "democratic" these days given the massive influence of big business and tax-exempt billionaires.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I agree they are untested in the south but I wouldn't compare the power sharing and being beholden to Westminister as a guage.

What reasons would anyone have to say FF/FG are safe or competent with their records? I think the idea that 'at least FF/FG won't be running around in balaclavas robbing banks' is wearing off 😎

The Protestants up north were quite right to be fearful of catholic Ireland IMO. I think any xenophobia today is toward the British state and institutions. We are far too media savvy to be so small minded. I think any who feel like that now are either half wits or using the hate for their own agenda. We've generations who worked in the U.K. or have relatives living in the U.K..

• Advertisement

Single Transferable Vote?

Only Ireland and Malta use it I believe.

Proportional representation. The exact system used to achieve that is more or less irrelevant. But - kudos on the sidetrack.

Scrap the cap!

We are probably drifting off topic but to answer your question. SF are the best organised, best funded, most disciplined and best staffed political party in the country and probably NI. I do not agree with their policies and would not vote for them but I have to give credit where credit is due.

They do not have the gombeen politicians that FF and FG have. Watch their media performances, very professional very competent they rarely say anything stupid.

If FF or FG were as competent as SF is as an organisation they would walk next general election.

Watch out at next election they will again increase their number of seats and will be harder to keep out of Gov although I expect we will continue to have an FF\FG\Others Coalition plus at next NI election they will prob have 1st Minister Role.

They have some crazy policies and there is the continuing suspicion that there are secret hands on the steering wheel but they are not an incompetent organisation far from it.

It isn’t a side track. Proportional representation can mean many things. STV is only one type of PR.

There is a long tradition of anti-Irish sectarianism in England. So it's only natural those at the other end would grow resentful. The Irish were portrayed as violent and ape-like in appearance in the English media until recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,194 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, it's not really realised that Ireland was regarded as troublesome second class colony in the 19th century and a long way from being an equal of England. They were very much in the colonial mindset and the 'united kingdom' was united only in the sense that everyone accepted that England was top dog.

Anti-Irish racism and depicting Irish people as ape-like was the absolute norm.

Until recent times?

I know there are plenty on here who like to live in the past, but I’d hardly call the 19th century “recent”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CaitCat

I remember seeing an episode of Newsnight filmed in Blaenau Gwent where people said their biggest reason for voting for Brexit was immigration.

Blaenau Gwent is a county that's as white as a loaf of batch bread. Statistics show the population is declining annually so there is only an ageing population and nobody to look after them. They NEED immigrants. 🤦🏻‍♀️

really? The entire staff of the Irish independent. The “John Hume has blood on his hands”. RDS and Eilis O’Hanlons. Eoghan Harris.

British folk should learn how democracy works across the world. Try and read what is going on in Germany right now.

Prior to the famine the Irish population was closer than that to the English population. When the history of the 800 years is taught the divisions within Ireland are taught. However empires rule by divide and conquer, and some divisions were imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

There's a lot of people in the London Overspill who are typical working/underclass Tories and rabidly monarchist, savagely thick, not the best examples of English people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The ENTIRE staff of the Irish Independent.... ROFL!

Then you mention 3 people. Eoghan Harris was a member of Sinn Fein and then the Workers Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I doubt Blaenau Gwent popped up in that last 20 years. Mental that it would have lasted so long not needing immigrants, bu now suddenly it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Pre-famine, Ireland’s population was about half that of England. Now Englands population is 15x that of Ireland.

Irelands Population was 8-8.5 million GB was around 17 million. Around 1/3 of the British Army was Irish at this time as well which would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Brexit really stoked up anti English sentiment and to an extent legitimised it, because immigration was the biggest factor.

In the UK they had an actual debate about immigration policy, which included discussion about the impact on housing and public services. It was genuinely fascinating at times, and the BBC for example handled it extremely well. In this case the British were way ahead of Ireland, where immigration never even gets a mention in the many discussions on the housing crisis. In Britain they were mature enough to talk about policy, but still in Ireland people who know almost nothing about the level of debate there accuse the British of being racist knuckle draggers.

The Irish sense of superiority is built on very weak foundations. The British are more open to questioning assumptions, many things in Ireland are rarely questioned and that does have consequences. For instance low tax for foreign companies has been defended and defended over the last 11 years, but it was obvious that there was going to be a point where it'd have to change and our policy evolve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

But what about this bit... "some divisions were imported."

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pricker

Celtic in its time represented a downtrodden and oppressed Catholic minority in a British controlled Glasgow .... hence the anti British sentiment.

Re. the EU. We joined by choice and have been treated as an equal ..... very different to the UK treatment of Ireland. About 90% support to remain in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It has been thought by some that overpopulation was one of the reasons why the potato blight / famine was so devastating in Ireland.

Even today a Ireland's population (6.7M) is circa 80% of what it was then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

That old ape cartoon that was posted, really reminds me what a bunch of brutish savages our forebears were <shudder>.

Thanks heavens we have had the British as neighbours to civilise us, set our feet on the long path to progress.

We're damn lucky they didn't just eradicate us - in fairness they had hope in their hearts we could do better with some positive instruction and guidance.

And look at the country now! The voting system may be confusing and inefficient, not be First Past the Post as God ordains, but maybe that can be fixed with a referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Johnson saying of Varadkar, 'Why can't he be called murphy like the rest of them'?

I grew up with stupid Paddy jokes on British television and Irish portrayed as the fools in films and the like.

There was plenty of food in the country (and plenty more exported) problem was that most people couldn't afford it and the government didn't want to know.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I thought this was a joke. That's basically English Exceptionalism in a nutshell.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

As you say there was plenty of food in he country but people could not afford it. The reason is poverty which was bad in Ireland pre-famine. The reason, too many people chasing too few jobs in an agrarian economy.

I do not condone the elite's actions but -

Potato blight happened in many places in Western Europe, only in Ireland was it devastating.

Scotland in many ways similar to Ireland (also had a potato blight) had a population of 2.8M at the time - one third the population of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Shoog

You are missing many of the demographic process which led to a country becoming dependent on a single crop (just about all caused by the British Landlords) that its scary and hard to begin to explain why you statement is so uttery off the mark. The potato famine was the cummulation of 600 years of racists colonialism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

You have to remember the poverty of the Irish Catholic population was a deliberate policy aim of the UK government, as expressed in the penal laws. The aim was to reduce the majority of the Irish population into a desperately poor, subsistence existence and the penal laws were very successful at achieving that result. In such circumstances, an event like the famine was merely a matter of time.

As you say, potato blights and crop failures were common. They had occurred in Ireland before. In such times, to prevent unrest, the Irish parliament had closed ports to prevent the export of food forcing its sale in Ireland to mitigate the worst effects of the potato crop failure. After the act of union in 1800, the legislative power moved to London where politicians were ideologically convinced of the purity of free markets and free trade. So when the crops failed in the 1840s a) The majority of MPs couldn't care less. Ireland was a foreign country in their minds. Some UK civil servants, like Trevelyan, considered the famine to be a good thing. b) To the extent they did consider the problem, preventing exports from Ireland was ideologically impossible for them.

However, the malicious indifference of the UK political aristocracy of the 19th century isn't a good reason to harbour grudges against the British generally or the English specifically in the 21st century. The same UK political aristocracy unleashed a heavy cavalry charge against 60,000 English people protesting for parliamentary reforms in 1819, killing 18 unarmed people in the "Battle of Peterloo". We were all victims of the same regime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭green daries

In one of those great English slang words bellend

Ok I am prepared for scary and hard - explain to me why my statement is so utterly off the mark.

Sand already did. However on top of what he said the British landlords displaced most of the native Irish to the poor land on the west of Ireland so they could use the good eastern land for more profitable farming. This meant that many Irish families were living on less than 1 acre of land to meet all their needs, the miracle potato just about allowed this but it was a ticking time bomb which exploded with the blight. The British did very little to intervene due to their racism and ideological objection to interfering in markets so millions died and left the country. As pointed out this didn't happen previously under a devolved parliament so there was literally nothing the Irish population could do to respond.

Its difficult to convey just how offensive it is to even suggest that it was somehow the Irish's own fault.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭20silkcut

That’s pretty meaningless considering the vast majority of that 8 million people were living in extreme poverty on half acre plots of land.

Population size is misleading. We were no where near militarily putting it up to the Brits in the 19th century .

The huge population of the 19th century did make a huge impact and enhance massively the US diaspora. Which is crucial to our soft power. Something that dumbfounds the Brits to this today.

Never borrow money from someone who will bring it up again and again and again forever and somehow never remember it was bailed out by IMF in the 1970s itself, in fact being the first developed country ever to have been down that path.

• Advertisement

It wasn’t. There is a belief in iteland that all Irish Catholics were living in mud huts eating nothing but potatoes and Protestants (who be default aren’t really Irish) were all living in palaces eating steak and sipping champagne.

landlords typically lived in the big house and gardens, but rented the rest of their land out to an estate manager or middleman. They farmed some of the land themselves and rented the rest out to other, smaller tenant farmers who in turn rented parts out to cottiers, who paid their rent in Labour and worked on the farmers land

It was the cottiers, who were the poorest of the poor, that were dependent on the potato. These were subsistence farmers who lived on a small plot of land and had a staple diet of potatoes and milk, which for the day was a pretty healthy diet. Having a healthy diet meant lower mortality rates and a rise in population.

This was also also the subset of the population who were more or less wiped out by the famine. Money did not exist at this end of the population, as they didn’t earn at and if they needed something, they bartered for it, so when their main food source was wiped out, they had no way of feeding themselves.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

But I think the main take home message should be that the British could have intervened to prevent most of the deaths - but they chose not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I wonder about the British education system. A large number of their society seen to be knuckle daggers.

They did intervene. They set up work programmes and soup kitchens.

what they should have done, is to stop people exporting food out of Ireland rather than sell it to the work houses. Work houses saw a massive increase in the cost of food as people started horsing and effectively price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

Draggers.

It does make me wonder.

It's probably because of your intellectual superiority and innate modesty.

And the ability to avoid careless generalisations.

You obviously don't know the background to all this. But this isn't simply Irish history. It's British history that's been swept under the carpet. Britain has white washed it's own history.

But it explains why people in the UK are often very confused why not everyone else sees them as the good guys in history. You can't learn from the past if you ignore it.

"...If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.."

This happened all over the world. Indigenous people pushed off their own land. Was culturally acceptable at that time. What's surprising that it went on for so long and still reverberates in NI. Yet there's almost no awareness of this British history in Britain.

Did you actually read what I said.

• I do not condone the elite's actions
    • overpopulation was one of the reasons why the potato blight / famine was so devastating in Ireland.

I am more than happy to discuss this if you are up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

I'll wager you know all the background to this.

I've read some of this history.

It was in a book.

Bought it in England.

Covered in whitewash it was.

Why then did the blight not effect the English population (similar size at the time) equally as badly - your blocking the context from your analysis. Ireland could have fed everyone in the country if that had been the wish. An active choice was made to let them starve. I bet the framing is Westminster was "a natural solution to the Irish problem". This was the golden age of eugenics thinking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement