Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Banna Thai in Ballincollig closed in 2015

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057439294/banna-thai-closed/p1

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kerry_man15

Wasn't Alfie arrested years later for growing drugs or was that just Leo?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I don't know anything about this Leo.

I lost touch with Alfie and Shirley around 2001. If Alfie was arrested between 1996 and 2001 no one told me. I have no idea what happened after that.

I can categorically state there were no cannabis plants there in Aug 1996, and that at the time Alfie did not partake even if they were still there.

There was much laughter about the goats having ate them before Alfie got around to destroying them.

Perhaps those who claim he was arrested might provide some proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kerry_man15

Do foxes normally cry out at this time of year or is it just a mating thing at a certain time of year? I'd imagine anyone hearing a noise like that in the remote countryside would automatically think fox rather than 'woman screaming in fear of her life'. Is it possible someone Sophie screaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No not all year... December is when fox mating season begins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Thank you for the insight that you bring to this thread.

At the end of the day it’s local knowledge that will point us in the right direction, which is why it’s troubling when it gets dismissed elsewhere in the thread.

For me many questions still remain about many of the people who were adjacent to this crime, including Alfie and Shirley, but that’s mostly due to the lack of information that characterises most aspects of this case.

Bailey seems to have gone fairly quiet on Twitter lately. Some of the people still replying obsessively to his old tweets seem genuinely mentally unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

I know it's said that Alfie was too frail at the time of the murder to kneed dough let alone lift a block so would I be right in saying Shirley was the one who lifted the block when either of them needed to keep the gate open?

It was possible to move the block far enough with your foot to hold the gate open. No need to lift it. In fact trying was a guaranteed way to risk hurting your back. Why bend down to lift something heavy when you could shove it over with your foot? Didn't need to move it far.

BTW, Shirley only moved in full time that July. She was a teacher in London and that was her full-time residence prior to retirement, so 'who moved the block if Alfie couldn't lift it, Shirley must have lifted it' isn't really a gotcha thought because Shirley wasn't even there most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I suppose they'd only have to open it when Sophie was around, as she was the only one who closed it, it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Massive Berevement

Thanks for the info Bannasidhe. I'd imagine it would be a lot easier to lift a block like that than move it with your foot but that could be just me. Perhaps the heavy block im thinking of that killed Sophie was not the same type of block that was used to keep the gate open. Did you ever have to open the gate and put the block in place on visits there yourself?

I don't know what block was used to kill Sophie, the block I shoved over to hold that gate open was about 3/4 of a single concrete block, if you know what I mean. Just shoved it along, and shoved it back.

Actually, day of Shirley's party the gate was closed and Sophie wasn't there.

I think it was a case of Alfie couldn't be bothered closing the gate when he was going out so left it open. Depending on the weather when he got home he might or might not close the gate. Remember Alfie was in and out everyday and not feeling physically great. Sophie was there occasionally.

I admit I would have done the same as Alfie. If it was raining and I was popping to Scull I'd say f the gate.

3/4 of a single concrete block, i

Perhaps it was this one

Bannasidhe's notes are from months after and at post 6962 she says re IB If I ever knew his name I had forgotten it   

Make notes of something that happened in June

If you are going to case doubt please at least get your facts right.

The party was the very end of August - I did say Shirley was a teacher in the UK, their summer holidays don't start until July. I made my notes in Jan. 5 months. BTW, there were other people involved in that conversation about Sophie's house. Not one remembers IB acknowledging he knew or or being particularly interested in talking about her.

But sure I can't be believed yet we can have pages and pages of discussion on 'someone read that someone remembered this and told someone else 20 years later' and 'I read somewhere that I'm not going to mention that this person said this thing and this other person got arrested for jam smuggling'. Not to mention the 'my auntie lives in the next townland and although she was never at either Alfie's or Sophie's says it's not that hard to find. Especially after details of how to get there have been discussed for decades.'

No idea. It was a block I pushed with my foot to stop the gate swinging. I could have leant by the gate but the space was tight due to overgrowth. Nettles.

That may well have been that block that held the gate open at the time Bannasidhe was there.

But the block used in the attack was a full sized 17 ins block;

Which, by the way had no mortar attached.

This is the pump house that the block supposedly came from;

The block taken from this corner took the mortar with it ,

notice the clean face of the blocks underneath .

If the block that was used in the attack came from the pumphouse at that time it meant the attacker walked back up to the pumphouse

lifted the felt roof and timber frame from the walls, removed the block which was cemented into the wall and returned to continue the assault.

Why do that with all the loose blocks and rocks around?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I'd say the block had a size that even a man couldn't have hit somebody effectively by only using one hand. I'd suggest the killer must have used both hands to hold the block and use it "effectively". By that time Sophie must have either been unconscious or somebody else was holding her down?

Is it known if the block is from that site? Are there similar blocks in the area? If no, than it's possible the killer brought the block along with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Which, by the way had no mortar attached.

Well that's the kibosh on the paramilitary hitman theory....

If something significant happened now and it related to something seemingly insignificant at the time, that happened 3 months ago, that I might be asked to recall, a little time spent thinking back and making notes would help.

Like I said, if a few more potential witnesses did the same, maybe we would not be here now.

Post edited by chooseusername on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What were the weather conditions on the night of the 23rd? Wet and windy or cold and frosty? As regards hearing no screams, well, perhaps she just did not scream or even call for help. That would be credible if she were running for her life and concentrating on escaping or if she felt that Foster and Lyons would not hear her in any event or if she was struck and stunned into submission. The next nearest dwelling was half a mile down the road. This would lend credence to the theory that she left the house and walked down the drive toward the gate where her killer was waiting. He did not first call to the door although he may gone up to the house after killing her. She must have known this particular individual at least fairly well and sensed no particular threat or danger in interacting with him late at night, in extreme isolation and wearing only nightclothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Eh, just to clarify, you're the one that started quoting my posts, I didnt "tag" you as you like to put it, unless you think the mere mention of Alfie's or shirleys name means someone is tagging you now. Have no interest in engaging with you. And for one talking about abuse & snarky comments, you're well able to dish it out yourself so maybe take a look in the mirror.

I don't say you can't be believed but your notes are no more use than people here "saying someone read someone remembered" etc. you seem to think you are in some way superior to others here. 4.5 months unless very end of jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I think it's preposterous to think the killer brought the block with them. Why would they? It can't be used as the primary weapon, too big and cumbersome. So they would have to have planned to subdue/knock out/kill the person with another weapon and then have planned to use the block to deal the final blow. That just doesn't make any sense at all.

There were lots of blocks and bits of blocks in the immediate vicinity of the murder, the block came from there somewhere. I suspect that it may have even been on top of the felt/timber roof of the pump house, being used as a weight to keep it in place. Hence why it had no mortar on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Makes sense. The thought I've had is that the block as a murder weapon doesn't appear to be a cavity block? ( It's hard to see in the picture ) The blocks at the pump house seem to be cavity blocks, hence my speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Someone posted a couple a pages back... seemed to be moderate wind, dry, not frosty. Neither one thing nor the other.

"For the record the weather for Cork that night was temp 3-4C, wind speed 20 to 25 mph and from the East/N East not a gale."

tagged: weather_duplantier

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

You appear to have complete faith in Alfie and Shirley as reliable witnesses but how do you square that with contradictory statements from Ian Bailey where he would have had no benefit from saying what he did in early questioning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes, the block that was used in the murder was a solid block, whereas the blocks used in the construction of the pumphouse were cavity blocks. But you can see bits of solid blocks behind the gate in the crime scene photo a few posts back. So there were some solid blocks around.

Like I said, I suspect the "weapon" block may have been sitting on top of the pump house. It appears to have had no mortar or moss on it so it wasn't lying in a ditch. It's hard to say where exactly it came from with so few pictures of the scene at the time available. But I'd be certain the block wasn't brought to the scene from elsewhere, I just can't think of any reason why someone would choose to bring a block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement