Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric, Hydrogen & Hybrid Electric Buses in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Those new Enviro200EV's look great and the new livery suits them.

I'm glad that they went with this new design for the 200EV, that attempts to hide the batteries on the roof and makes it look sleeker. The older 200EV look had the batteries exposed on the roof and didn't look great:

Actually this is the third design, the first two above was the first gen design, the one directly above was an improved design, the NTA spec looks to be the latest design that is like the above one but has an extra lip to hid the battery bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PAD85

Agree with you, the NTA should have not chose the old design at all. That being said, these Enviro200EVs, along with the PA and PADs basically means that what I call "The Dennis Takeover" has officially begun. Apart from that, I look forward to seeing these new EVs in service next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There appears to be some PA's moving into Summerhill Garage in Dublin very soon. Some of the AX's in that depot have been withdrawn recently by having their DB logos removed from them. I'll take it that the 122/123 routes will be getting the PA's soon after the driver testing will be completed in Summerhill.

Also; RTÉ's Liveline had a call-in feature talking about the new NTA hybrid livery a few days ago. Joe Duffy and the caller's were saying that the new livery was 'hideous'. I read an article about it in Dublin Live a little while back. The caller's didn't like how the new livery did not keep up with the tradition of the operators liveries of Bus Eireann & Dublin Bus. I have not listened to the whole piece about it. Did any of you guys have a listen to that piece on Liveline or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭john boye

I'd sooner eat my own hand than listen to Liveline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

is there any confirmation as to where the Hydrogen is going to be produced ? Someone mentioned to me that BOC are trucking the Hydrogen in from Germany ?

Surely we can produce our own green hydrogen in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

There are some people who consider the importance of Dublin Bus as a company and their brand as being more important than the public transport system as a whole, so I am not surprised that there are some people who would call a phone-in about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,936 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Err... I'm not sure how anyone with a knowledge of DB's history and liveries could claim that they have a "tradition of the operators liveries" when not even counting the likes of city swift and city imp, DB have had three radically different liveries over the space of 30 years, each which carried over nothing from the previous one. All Green under CIE, then mostly cream and some blue or grey, followed by the yellow and blue one the last 15 years or so!

We aren't exactly talking about the tradition of London Bus red here! 🙄

I know many of us had grown and gotten use to the DB yellow and blue livery, but when you step back, it as actually quiet ugly IMO. Kind of a sickly yellow, not very attractive and quiet dated by now. I think the new livery looks much nicer, modern and fresh and even harks back to the old CIE green livery.

In fairness I would say that there is more of an argument when it relates to BE, who in fairness to them always used some variant on red and white as far as I know.

Overall I think the new livery has largely been a success and most people seem to like it. It manages to evoke both Ireland and the environment, without being too twee about it.

PAD85, totally get what you are saying about Dennis, but unfortunately we have very few options in this market and it isn't like Wrights didn't have major issues. Hopefully the new Wrights prove to be better and we get a bit of competition back in the market here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

That's false. It's produced at the BOC electrolyser in Bluebell.

Harris won this tender with the Higer Steed. Same as the electric buses they supplied to NPWS last year and the electric bus currently operating for TFI Local Link Laois Offaly.

The NTA is also directly leasing two electric buses for use on TFI Local Link Kerry. It's going to be a Yutong who was, I believe, the largest electric bus manufacturer until BYD took that title recently. Similar to the Harris and Higer set up, a company called Pelican imports and sells Yutong buses in the UK and Ireland.

Post edited by Peregrine on

• Advertisement

Would the new Enviro 200EVs still be running alongside the Flagline bus route in Athlone?

One of the Dublin Bus streetlites, WS2, is getting prepped for the new NTA livery.

The route between Golden Island and the N6? What bus do they use these days?

Only the town bus service operated by Bus Éireann would get the Enviro200EVs.

PA67 has arrived in Summerhill

PAs are now in service on the 123 from today

I've seen the PAs on the 4 in Blackrock today. They look extremely well. They really are a huge upgrade over the SGs.

PADs 104 to 107 are in Galway, according to the transport forum on Tapatalk

Buses Magazine has an ADL 400ER for Metrobus Liverpool on the front cover. The only difference is this bus is that it's fitted with a 2nd generation Hydrogen fuel cell engine rather than being a self charging hybrid. There are 20 buses on order for this company in the UK with delivery of them due in 2022. The 300 mile range on them is very impressive.

Would the NTA here go for something similar with ordering Hydrogen fuel cell buses once the hydrogen bus trial with Bus Éireann is a success?

"Would the NTA here go for something similar with ordering Hydrogen fuel cell buses once the hydrogen bus trial with Bus Éireann is a success?"

If the trial is successful and they decided to get more, I'd be shocked if ADL didn't offer it for any competition and would likely be a strong front runner.

Though I don't think they would be a replacement for the ER's, that would be the 400EV battery bus, more suited to city type services. This 400FCEV would be more suited to the BE type long distance commuter services.

• Advertisement

According to the passenger fourm on Tapatalk, the NTA is looking at Optare electric double deck buses

With fewer than 150 buses built, it would be the largest order for the Metrodecker EV by far. Does Optare have any presence or history in Ireland?

Do they even have the capacity to deliver an initial order of 120 buses in 18 months or so? Let alone the full 800.

It's quite a risk for the NTA.

Possibly not, that's what I think. The build quality of the Optares are also said to be quite poor. The NTA is better off getting Enviro400EVs rather than the Metrodecker EVs.

And also to point out, just because the NTA is looking at Metrodeckers does not mean they will want to get them, as they may end up getting those E400EVs (I hope)

I don't think Optare is good idea for a new order of Electric buses coming in for the NTA. They are currently the least popular double deckers in the UK market at the moment. The build quality on their double deckers are said to be very poor. I think Optare are not reliable in meeting their delivery targets either to operators who have ordered new buses from them who are based across the UK. Optare were not really running to full capacity either because of Covid.

If I had a choice of buying an electric bus for the NTA while pulling themselves away from ADL's double deckers; they could go for something that is tried & tested already like the MCV EvoSeti if it's available.

Or maybe something like the new Beulas Jewel E EV double decker from Spain which has a range of 250 miles. This is a brand new bus that just launched for the right hand drive markets. This short 2 & half minute video shows where the batteries are stored in it's concept double decker. It does not show the inside of the bus in the video. It's just the outside only. But from a aesthetics pov; I think it is a nice looking bus to drive. I don't think the ADL have that range of mileage in their buses except in the ER's which can allow themselves to have expandable batteries when run on smaller battery packs.

Would you think the NTA would consider leasing these new buses for the Irish market to run a trial on them or would that be too much of a risk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apologies for being a little too lazy to read the whole thread but someone who is well up on these things might be able to indicate where we are at present. Apart from the three very expensive buses being trialled, are there any other plans being developed to move towards emission free public transport? And do these plans have a time scale?

In 2021, the NTA will have signed agreements to purchase up to 1000 fully electric buses (800 double decks and 200 single decks) with around 165 initial orders. 45 single decks will start delivery in early 2022 with double decks starting delivery towards the end of 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So a slow start to it! One would assume they will be deployed in various public fleets. Is there anything happening on the private side, especially with respect to regulations on emissions and their need to switch?

Sorry, that should have said 165 buses ordered by the end of this year. 120 double deck and at least 45 single decks.

Athlone town buses will be converted to all electric single deck next year with orbital routes in Dublin also getting them next year. Galway is being converted to all plug-in hybrid (with battery only in a geofenced 4km section in the city centre) right now.

No, nothing on commercial services or on public coach services. The current policy focuses almost exclusively on the urban public bus fleet. A LocalLink contractor in Laois/Offaly does operate a fully electric bus. I raised it with the guys in DoT in charge of sustainable mobility policy even as a long-term policy and they weren't too keen. They're more keen on setting short term achievable goals for now. Most private operators are commuter and intercity bus operators which are much more difficult to decarbonise right now (hence the investment into researching hydrogen fuel cell vehicles as a potential pathway).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Whatever manufacturer and model of vehicle will end up on our streets, it will be decided by whoever wins the relevant tender at the end of the day though. That is how public procurement works, not simply placing an order with a manufacturer of choice.

• Advertisement

They probably got tenders from ADL, Optare and Wrightbus.

It's getting quite close to order time though. In early July, Anne Graham said the order would be placed "in a month or so" which was a little surprising but, on the same week, I was told it would take two months and that a winner hadn't been chosen at that time. I haven't been paying attention since so I don't know but two months has already passed so either the agreement has been signed or it will be very soon. If people are hearing talk about Optare now, it's a little worrying but not necessarily definitive.

I'd say that's an even higher risk. I don't think they're interested in trialling any more electric buses TBH. They already decided to not go ahead with the full 600 hybrid double decks a year ago and move onto full electrics so it's been almost a year since an order for double deck urban buses was placed. They should be looking for someone to supply them with a large number of full electric double decks as soon as possible to avoid having to keep older buses on and to ramp up vehicle numbers for BusConnects.

Advertisement