Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

We havent invested. We have millions of houses with s**t insulation and a poor heating system, no solar panels or any electric generations. We have sheds full of cattle and no use of methane from these sheds or again using roof space for solar panels.

The diesel discussion was done an dusted, the car companies lied and the information available(13 years ago now) was the best at the time. Even recently VW got caught again with software to trick the tests. One of the most popular cars, Ford Mondeo 1.6, was totally pulled from Ireland because it was so dirty. Can't blame the greens for that.

Also the amount of car bought because someone wanted cheap tax was never the point of the change. People getting rid of perfect 2007 cars to swap to a 2008 at the cost of thousands to save 200 euro on tax. Crazy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭Shoog

Ireland is playing catch up on a problem it tried to ignore for 20 years (in a cute whore kind of a way), its created its crisis by trying to ignore the crisis of climate change. The chickens have come home to roost. The power stations it is closing are because they are at end of life and a decision was made not to replace them with more fossil fuel plants. A reliance on one alternative always was going to be risky, but in the context of a High Voltage Direct Current network which is pan European its a strategic long term choice which will eventually pay dividends. As for Nuclear we get the benefits of French Nuclear through those HVDC lines without running the inescapable risks of having our own Nuclear power plants. There is also the not inconsiderable fact that if we decided to go nuclear not a drop of power would be on the grid until about 2040, in the mean time for the same money we could have massively more capacity of Solar and Wind which would come on tap incrementally. Despite what people may say - solar is viable and cost effective in Ireland even with our cloudy conditions. There is also the often ignored fact that if we were to go Nuclear it would require building multiple Nuclear power plants in parallel (each at massive costs) and dependence on one massive nuclear plant is totally unsustainable as they have downtimes running into multiple months on a regular basis. Nuclear is no panacea to an energy crisis and a more diverse grid is infinitely more dependable. The idea of a nuclear baseload makes no sense in a country the size of Ireland.

Unfortunately we decided to commit to the future far to late and now we are paying the price of putting off the hard decisions we should have made twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,064 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There was no need to take advise from car makers. Had they placed a 5 year old at the rear of a diesel car and a petrol one the child would have wet itself laughing being told that diesel was the cleaner fuel.

When it comes to investing we have put all the money on wind energy with no plan B and the turkeys are now coming home to roost with carbon tax bills in their beaks and talk of outages this Winter.

Not only have we invested in wind turbines, as another poster pointed out, they are not exactly sustainable. A lifespan of 20 years before becoming obsolete where not just the complete unit has to be torn down and replaced but even the concrete base will have to be torn up as it is not fit to support the newer models. That is not investment, it`s throwing good money after bad.

Good luck with capturing enough methane in an open cattle shed that will power more than a 40 watt bulb, and as I have already said, we are living in the northern hemisphere. If we covered the island with solar panels, even if it was there when needed, it would cover the shortfall when the turbines stop turning.

Lots of rhetoric there, no supportable facts. Every single house in Ireland could be self sufficient in Electricity for 70% of the time if there was just an up front investment in solar of €10K per household. That would go a long way to solving all Irelands issues. When you consider that the average houseprice is €300K thats just 3% of the overall price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The climate has been changing on earth for billions of years.

I firmly believe in Climate change.

I don't believe humans can ever stop it.

• Advertisement

So your a human climate change denier, not a point in talking to you old man.

With that attitude your not looking for solutions and will automatically dismiss any that are proposed. Firmly on the problem side of the equation.

Oh so you just dismiss my point of view because you think your beliefs are right and that's it??

Exactly what the green party articulate and will pay for at the next general election.

I am stating an evidence based fact, you have a point of view. Spot the difference there.

Are you denying evidence of climate change happening long before we were here?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

You have some neck on you because someone doesn't agree with your views, with '' human climate change denier'' and ''old man''

You are definitely in the Greta club coming out with that sort of s*it.

• Advertisement

No, but that really is just a denier talking point. The climate change we are experiencing now is man made - end of story. Really this is a debate I had with deniers 10 years ago - its so utterly tedious to see that the same arguments are been rolled out now. Not going to entertain it.

Your just illustrating why you are not remotely interested in discussing the merits of current climate change actions, your just interested in denying man made climate change. Thats not a debate thats worth having.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm 41 myself, so I guess I'm the same demographic, but boards is just a bunch of old curmudgeonly men who don't believe in climate change and think the whole green think is woke nonsense. Boards posters are up there with thejournal.ie commenters. Hopefully younger generations know that we're living in a completely unsustainable way and big changes will be made, they will have to be made anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

For the last year and half we have had scientists coming out with batshit crazy predictions about how many of us are going to die etc. We naturally copped onto it that they were using extreme predictions to get themselves and their organisations air time and media exposure.

For climate change we have been hearing predictions that have continuously flopped. According to Al Gore's predictions, we should be dead by now. Every year we are hearing that we only have 2-3 years to turn things around, or it will be irretrievable.

It has to be recognised that when science organisations are releasing reports and studies, they are not giving the actual the prediction, they are giving the absolute most extreme example. Why? Because saying the world will heat by 0.01 degrees over the next 20 years doesn't get head lines. Saying the world will heat up 2-3 degrees in 20 years, that will get you and your organisation some profile, some headlines, maybe even some funding....

I'm not denying that change is occurring (ridiculous that we need to put that disclaimer in) but you have to look at the agendas of these people. They want funding, they want profile and they will come out with the most extreme predictions to get that

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

So you won't discuss it on a discussion forum?

Thats not what this thread is about now is it, its about whether climate change actions are sustainable in Ireland. You have to accept that climate change is real to take part in that discussion otherwise your just howling at the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What's the betting you are a woman who lives in a city with public transport outside the door and doesn't pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

The green thing here in Ireland is a load of nonsense. Some people have been brainwashed beyond belief about Irelands role in climate change. What happens in Ireland is miniscule in the overall global problem. Allowing the Greens implement ridiculous policies without alternatives in place is nuts. They have choirboys on social media but these are not representative of ordinary Irish people.

All these green policies should have impact assessments done on their effects on Rural Ireland. If left go unchecked these idiots will have wolves roaming rather than people in the countryside and car sharing in villages.

It's always someone else's problem to solve, but what happens when everyone has that attitude ?

Not much to support your own claims.

A few for you. The average Irish household uses 4,200 Kw. of electricity annually. According to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland 1sq m of solar panel will produce 150 W of power. on a sunny day. Now unless my maths is shot to hell the daily average energy consumption would require 77.7 sq m of solar panels.

But that is just the daily average based on a sunny Summer day. Winter consumption is 55% compared to Summers 45% so the area required in Winter would be more. Roughly 93 sq m. but you are not finished there. Being generous to the average Irish Winter`s day sunshine is 40% compared a sunny Summer`s day, 60% so you are now up to 128 sq m of solar panels. 70% of that area is 90 sq m.

For just the average house that is a lot of solar panelling to clamp on one side of the roof. Would the 10K you mentioned even come close to paying for that area plus fixtures and fittings?

Alternatively you could howl at all the major polluters that do not only not give a toss, but are getting an economic advantage over those that do by not giving a toss. It would have the same effect and they are closer. Even if you would be wasting your time, breath and vocal chords on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,563 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Draconian green measures won't go down well when they are forced upon the Irish people for a decade or two, and we still find the temperature rising due to the fact that China, Russia, the US, India, Brazil and Pakistan don't give two hoots.

Maybe, if all countries came together to discuss measures that each of them would promise to adhere to and they'd sign an agreement to that effect, it might demonstrate a willingness to try to make improvements so that everyone was doing their bit.

Do you think something like that would work?

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thing's that also don't help are preening celebrity's and media companies getting involved. We've had multip cases of famous people flying around the world on private jets to attend climate change conferences and meetings, to tell us small folk that we need to do more.

Last week on Sky Sports they had a "Carbon Neutral" Premier League game. They had the flood lights on at 10am, even though it was bright. They had Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Micah Richards, who all live in the north to travel down to the ground in London, when they had plenty of pundits that live in the south to do the game. They special jackets, umbrellas and Microphone heads with "Game Zero" printed on them, which would have been used once then thrown out after the match.

It's all big business doing fake PR to make themselves look good and they think we're so stupid that we don't notice it

No offence, but if someone can't grasp the concept of creating a talking point of what can be done as opposed to literally only things which are categorically, necessary to the broadcast, then stupid might be an appropriate determination with respect to their critical thinking facilities.

But, I don't actually think many people are that stupid, I think they use this argument to negate the idea of even having a conversation about changing how things are done. People did the same with Greta, tried to discount her argument of limiting unnecessary travel where possible by saying she actually didn't have to travel to the US to speak at the UN, even though she did so by boat and so no one should listen to her.

With respect to your efforts above to undermine the game zero initiative, how about if they had used Frank Lampard as a pundit, and he got a taxi from his home in London to the ground, would you complain that he should have walked? Or how about if they gave him a cup of coffee, would you complain that it should have been water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I randomly selected a house in Athlone, 16 ashdale with an East West alignment. Pvgis is an EU tool for solar performance. A 4.2kw system on that house will produce approx 2996kw which isn't a massive amount away from 70% of the yearly annual usage. That is 12 panels at 350w. Most semi detached houses could get this on their roof especially if they use both sides.

Ten grand would be very doable probably even get a battery in there too.

Will all the energy be generated at the time needed, no, but most of the summer usage would be covered.

House location

Location [Lat/Lon]:53.433, -7.943

Tool

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

The average installed pv system is 4kw with a similar sized battery. Having seen such a system in operation I can tell you that it performs as I described and costs about 10k to install. That system also exports power to the grid for most of the summer.

I pay particular attention to this system since its a test case for solar PV in one of the cloudiest parts of Ireland and will inform my eventual decision as to whether to install the same. With my current bills topping €1.5K per year and the introduction of buy in tariffs such a system in a marginal location will pay for itself in about 5years - probably the best cash investment possible in current market conditions.

If you were prepared to modify your behaviour a bit I daresay such a system could provide nearly 100% of your electricity.

Post edited by Shoog on

Again your per Capita rate of emissions far outstrip the per Capita emissions of a Chinese person. So you want an already low polluting Chinese person to cut his emissions so that you can do **** all. Grow up and take responsibility for your own ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

These people thrive and pounce on any weather disaster as it makes their life worth while. They literally couldn't contain their excitement at a few wildfires this summer for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Advertisement