Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

Gloves. It's how I believe the blood mark was on the back door when the handle was tried. The killer wouldn't have thought of it until it was too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

You`re right. I forgot about the Sophie wanting the see any reports of Alfie being done for drugs. The other thing about the Bathing Bandit is that surely Alfie had his own bath. Why would he bother? In 1993, the year of the bath incident, Bailey wrote in his diary that he had hit Jules on a number of occasions. I wonder did she throw him out back then. He was definitely out for at least three weeks after the `96 assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

It isn't far off a mansion in that part of the world. The lady that had it as a holiday home, who frequented a society that most people couldn't begin to describe, just

Have you even seen the photographs of the inside of that house? It was grim by any standards. This house was very far from luxury accommodation.

It's not a different take its a fuller picture. Most of the statements available for us to see are heavily edited, one way or another.

So I'm told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Interesting comment of yours, I must admit. I don't seem to have your humor.

The thing is, that "finding things strange" doesn't mean or prove anything at all. It's just based on the information I have, I find something strange, out of place, etc... That doesn't mean, that I have all the information about this case at all or even less implying that I am right and you are wrong.

I recall stating that we all know far too little what was going on that night, we don't even have any evidence at all to point at any suspect. All we can go on, is try to establish, what could be in our opinion have been more likely than something else that night.

Yes we all know that the local police was very incompetent to the point of corrupt in this case but forensics or somebody higher up in the police force can't be a complete fool. They probably knew what was going on, like if somebody was having a "little sideline" with drug trafficking, but couldn't prove a thing. Maybe there was really no DNA evidence, and no fingerprints at all, maybe forensics was really very thorough, maybe the killer was really professional, - we simply don't know.

To me the discussion should at this point be about motive and I believe I have written about motive more than enough, way more than Alfie and Shirley.

I don't think I wrote anything about a competition for best cottage in the world, but I recall we have had a discussion why Sophie would have chosen this cottage, and I recall stating that I would never have bought a property in this area, not back then, not today. I also recall stating that these properties tend to be way too overpriced for what they are, and too isolated, one gets better value for money in certain places, certain villages, with better access to Cork and better infrastructure, if one loves the South West of Ireland. ( and not needing a car to do basic shopping, or going to the pub and maybe access to a beach )

Incidentally, I once owned a property in an isolated part of the world. It wasn't on a peninsula, it wasn't in Ireland even, but it was similar in a sense that there was only one way in and one way out surrounded by mountains and very few neighbours some of them closer, some of them more distant. The issues were the unpredictability of utilities, sometimes the electricity would cut out, sometimes the water pressure was not very good, sometimes the phone connections didn't work as they should have, etc.. It's not that there were real arguments with neighbours, just different ways and means of wanting to deal with these challenges and this naturally lead to certain frictions. Incidentally also the characters were similar, artists, people who were trying to get away from something, somewhere or even someone, ex soldiers even with honorable discharges but didn't fit into civilian life anymore, and a couple of locals who have been there for seemingly forever.

Suppose Alfie and Shirley had the occasional issues with water pressure, their house being higher up than Sophie's, suppose they had the key to the house, kept it from the previous owners, then it'll be very tempting for them to sneak into Sophie's to take a bath, when they can't in their own house? It's not beyond imagination, and they will certainly never admit to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"Suppose Alfie and Shirley had the occasional issues with water pressure, their house being higher up than Sophie's, "

I know you've mentioned water pressure before, but it looks like Sophie had her own bored well and pump on her property.

It's safe to assume each of the other two houses had their own well.

It's unlikely any one well would affect the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

However, and there is no reason anyone bar those who would know knowing this, my ex in laws, ex father in law in particular, were very close friends of Alfie and had a house about half an hour drive away. I have mentioned that before.

A largish house with it's own well, generator, two ensuite bedrooms so 2 electric showers, and a full size bathroom.

It was empty most of the time. Alfie would pop in to check everything was OK. He, and Shirley, could have used the house anytime they needed .

I don't know if they did or didn't. But I am certain no one would have batted an eyelid if they had.

As with Bannasidhe, you'll address everything and anything but Alfie's willingness to lie when it suited him. And this is a very insidious lie. It has been used time and again to justify this persecution of Ian Bailey because he had something going on in secret with Sophie. So there's a niggling doubt. Alfie must have a reason to do something that serious.

While you might have your own thoughts on why some things are overpriced, when it comes to a lot of west Cork I think the expression if you have to ask the price you can't afford it applies

• Advertisement

It's not about the price one can afford, it's more what you get for it. Deciding where to buy are very personal choices. Out there you're often paying Mercedes-Benz prices for a Fiat, and the only value would be that one "loves" the Fiat more than the Mercedes Benz.

I do understand why one would like the South West of Ireland as the countryside is very beautiful, but if it was my choice, a place like Bantry, Skibereen, Clonaklty or Kinsale would have been the choice. These things are often a question of practicality. A supermarket, a bank, a pharmacy, a post office, a pub within walking distance would be my requirement to put a value to the price paid for a property. That's what I meant by that statement.

Out there where Sophie bought one is only paying to be on that peninsula and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

I've noticed several comments by a poster who vigorously espouses common sense but then goes on to assume the murder was premeditated.

Obviously the murder may or may not have been premeditated (I'm leaning against)

Obviously the perpetrator may have walked or driven

No skin cells on a rough block? fair enough but what about glove fibres??

The use of a concrete block may indicate, not a strong person, but a person who required such an object to ensure death? (why assume it was held high, it could have been dropped from waist height)

I'm interested in the "young buck" theory put forward earlier - a very dangerous individual but with no history yet.

Na just stating facts. To which you haven't got a better response 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

I know that I as a 'young buck' certainly would have noticed sophie...

being Young, impressionable, imaginative, hormones overflowing, strong, impulsive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

any photos i seen of her i never thought she was overly attractive. then again as they say its in the eye of the beholder...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What of glove fibers? Surely some would have been left. Come to think of it most Irishmen don't/didn't normally use gloves then even in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

With the many different angles of this murder, and the many potential suspects, and the many bizarre characters around the locality...

How on earth was Bailey elevated to prime suspect??

Seriously like....

Dr Gatherias, who works for the French judicial police, said Sophie was the victim of “a repressed, destructive sexual rage”.  

I know this photo has been seen a thousand times .... but it tells us a bit..

If you zoom in the pump house looks very close to the murder scene...

Possibly Alphies car (if thats it) is left outside and not let back in....is that him?

The shed originally belonged to sophie's property as the door faces her house...

Fences appear to be everywhere for what was portrayed to be to be a mixed combination of owned lands... looks like a new green wire roll beside the car...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

A rage focused specifically towards Sophie? Or aren't they often the hallmarks of a serial assailant?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Just noticed same picture but spot the differences...

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I'd say the good Dr Gatherias is a victim of repressed bullshittery.....

Isn't it fair to say the I.B's Attacks on his partner were not repressed sexual aggression? ....... any psychologists in the house ?

I am inclined to think that if the murder was really not premeditated, then the motive would most likely have been something sexual in nature and to a high degree have involved someone who lived somewhat locally on that peninsula, somebody whom she may have met before, somebody whom she may have either slept with once, or given "some ideas" of something in the future.... The murderer either hiked or drove to Sophie's house with a hard on, knocked at her door, they exchanged a few nice-to-see-you-how-have-you-beens, as he made advances she rejected him and he killed her by accident in an argument as things had gotten out of hand. The men in question would have been, as far as I have understood:

• The Guard from Bantry
    • The Musician from Germany
    • The often mentioned Frenchman living in the area, possibly from Marseille ?
    • Bailey?
    • hormones overflowing would exclude Alfie, but who knows.......

The only difficulty finding answers to is how did any of these guys know that she was staying at her house at that time of the year? How did the killer know that she was alone that night, or travelling alone? If this was all the case, then there must have been some form of contact phone call / e-mail with one of these men before the trip? Or she met somebody she knew while travelling from Cork airport to her house, who came to visit her during that fateful night.

Also, is it confirmed that Sophie was really in the early stages of pregnancy? I'd say anybody who would have had an intention to sleep with her that night, would have accepted the rejection by Sophie if she said she was pregnant.

One more thing ... (just to keep ye all going for another week..."he,he,he")

I don't see any large clumps of briars in Sophies front garden that she (or anyone else) would have had to run thru?

Correct me if I'm wrong..

You seem unsure yourself of your understanding of the concepts involved... so seems a bit premature to say that.

Bailey seems the opposite of repressed to me. But maybe I don't understand it either.

For that kind of angle, I'd have expected not someone in a relationship, not someone with lots of previous flames and previous rejections like Bailey, but someone who would obsess over the victim and build them up into projecting some sort of ideal life together.

It would have been more helpful if Dr Gatherias had provided a profile of a suspect.

Interesting points.

But why would a jack-the-lad who tries it on with lots of women react so badly to this rejection?

As alluded to in my other post, I think there needs to be more to it. Either the perp was obsessed with Sophie OR if involvement with Sophie came to light they would have more at stake (marriage-home-kids-job).

The person could have known she was there if they lived in the immediate locality also.

Hasn't been confirmed about pregnancy afaik.

If he was a jack the lad he wouldn,t be repressed IMO...

• Advertisement

The sexual motive "obsession" would fall into the idea, "if I can't have her, nobody can". This kind of motive comes up often in killings with a certain passion behind it. That would or may also imply a certain likelihood that both Sophie and the killer were acquainted, or may have had a sexual relationship before, how short it may have been. Bruno in France would fall into this category also his alibi isn't that credible in my mind, but that relationship ended quite a while before the murder.

The known facts are way to loose. Of course one can say, Sophie met Alfie, they discussed about the boundary of their property and whether the gate should be open or closed. They had a comfortable walk from her house to the gate, the conversation turned into an argument and Alfie took the next best rock which happens to be a block sitting on the roof of that pump house and based Sophie's head in. Alfie then went back to Sophie's touched the door with his bloody hand, and washed himself up, or possibly took one last bath in Sophie's bathtub and then went home to Shirley as if nothing happened...... They had whiskey, smoked a bit of cannabis and then went to bed, and had a deep sleep, thus they didn't hear anything that night. This scenario is more like a joke, than a realistic speculation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement