Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Ah here. This is a non story.

They obviously just did a mass mail to all HGV licence holders which ambulance and fire service staff hold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I know what the problem with FPTP is. The point is that there really isn't the political will to change it as the Lib Dems found out to their cost.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Not sure that makes it any less inappropriate. They wrote to existing ambulance crew and firefighters (i.e. frontline emergency workers) asking them to become HGV drivers....perhaps that mass mailing should not have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I see people on here saying that there will be no excuses when more problems kick in and that the Conservatives have given up pretending there are any Brexit benefits. Kwasi Kwarteng gave an interview yesterday where he spelled out the governments new line for any disruption -

From conservativehome (I can't post links)

Interviewer: “Brexit was a vote for many things. It was in part a vote for lower migration of a sort, higher wages, a different economic model.

“Isn’t what’s going on with this difficulty with the petrol fundamentally about the sort of economy we want. The road haulage people, like some of the fruit pickers, like some meat processors, basically want to go back to the old ways.

“They want Government to issue hundreds of thousands of visas, and they’re trying to use public pressure to get you to change course.”

Kwarteng: “That’s absolutely right, and I’ve said this a number of times, certainly privately. The reason why constituencies like mine [Spelthorne] voted decisively for Brexit, 60 per cent to 40 per cent, was precisely this issue.

“I remember three weeks before the referendum in 2016, I came out of Staines station and someone came up to me and said ‘I’m voting for Brexit.’

“And I said, ‘Oh, why are you doing that?’

“And he said, ‘Well I haven’t had a wage increase in 15 years,’ and he was someone who worked in the building trade, lots of people do work, certainly in my constituency, in that kind of self-employed, small business, logistics, construction world.

“And that was in his mind what this was all about. And so, having rejected the low-wage, high-immigration model, we were always going to try to transition to something else.

“What we’re seeing now is part of that transition. You’re quite right to say people are resisting that, particularly employers that were benefiting from an influx of labour that could keep wages low.”

Interviewer: “Aren’t you therefore in a very difficult political position, because they have a kind of weapon, which is the queue, the shortage.

“All you can do, other than take various emergency measures, is tough it out.”

Kwarteng: “I think this is a transition period. As economists would describe, between Equilibrium A and Equilibrium B there’s always going to be a transition period.

So they're going to sell the rotten fruit, no petrol and chickens instead of turkeys for Christmas, as a transition from a low skilled immigration based economy to a high wage high tech economy. Johnson will start talking about growing pains and stiff upper lips soon enough, you can count on it.

The UK government totally had the power to abolish low wages for the low paid whilst still in the EU (substantially raise the minimum wage, reduce or even abolish taxation for them etc) so goodness knows what Kwarteng is on about.

Why didn't they move to their bold and revolutionary new economic model ("high wage, high skills" or whatever) whilst still in the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because 'high skill high wage' is a fatuous political slogan that ignores reality? Kind of like 'get brexit done' and 'brexit means brexit?' And, neither party if in Government has a clue as to how to transition their economy - seems like the Tory's think the first round is 'drive everyone out of a job.'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Exactly. The minimum wage could have just been set very high if the aim was to force employers to pay more. Are people so thick in the UK that they will believe this guff?

They could also have shut down third country migration at the stroke of a pen.

They never did any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul comes to mind

They couldn't access what jobs people had because of privacy laws. It's a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Its a story because it shows the desperation and complete lack of any plan.

The UK government have been reduced to a mailshot company, sending out junk mail in the hope that a few of them might turn up something.

Embarrassing is not adequate to sum it up. This, let's remember, is 5 years since the vote. This is after they refused a transition as it would not help confidence. And this after they were repeatedly warned of these type of issues.

And yet we are supposed to believe that they know the consequences of triggering Art 16?

• Advertisement

Is this the first step in reversing Brexit? I don't know enough about this to understand the significance or otherwise of this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Apparently they have also written to Germans having gotten their driver's license in Germany before 1999 as that entitles them to drive smaller lorries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Only a reminder for those who's forgotten; the interconnect on electricity is intentionally tied with the fishing agreement by EU. Hence the closer UK ties itself to EU electrical market it decreases any possibilities on improving fishing qoutas etc. accordingly as well which will cause quite an uproar come 2024/25 (depending on when the negotiations start). Only question is if Tories are stupid enough to forget (ignore/think EU will not deal with both issues tied) about it and not sort out an election before the issue blows up or not.

You know this, I know this. But Boris Johnson is literally the guy that propagated the idea the EU wanted to ban bendy bananas.

They've looked at the probable outcomes and think they can get away with telling people that their wages rising by 5% is great news, even though cost of living goes up by 10%.

That would be my guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The referendum about the 'alternative vote' was set up to deliberately guarantee a NO vote by asking a stupid question. No one had any idea about voting systems because it was not in the current thinking, and in particular the concept of 'alternative vote' was difficult to explain in a three word slogan that could be painted on the side of a red bus.

If there was a referendum on the reform of the electoral system to make it more democratic, it might have succeeded. However, neither Labour nor the Tories want the current system changed because they both see it as the only certain road to power, and any change as a certain road to a break up of the parties into smaller factions and inevitable coalitions.

A more profitable approach (if the intention was honourable) would have been to set up a Royal Commission, or a Citizen's Assembly to propose a solution or set of proposals that would subsequently be put to a referendum or a vote in the HoC.

The LibDems were shafted by Tory duplicity yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Brexit is an ideololgy and those who fell for it refuse to look at it objectively. The problem now is that the UK is actually out of the EU and will need to sort itself out on its own (as it wanted) or to seek proper accommodation with the EU to nullify some of the impacts. The evidence is that the Tories will not seek any accommodation with the EU

Kwarteng is claiming that the British government 'received an instruction' (or something) from the public to end the 'low wage, high immigration' model.

But that is absolutely not how any government goes about framing economic policy. Long term economic planning is made by the government, in conjunction with top civil servants from the finance ministry and input from other economists. Witness how Lemass and TK Whitaker reshaped the Irish economy from 1959 onwards. The very last people you would consult on long term strategic economic policy would be the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What the Tories are now doing is trying to spin Brexit as some sort of altruistic crusade to stop the race to the bottom and that by voting for Brexit the people were not voting to get rid of Johnny foreigner, but rather doing Johnny foreigner a favour by preventing him being taken advantage of in the UK.

Such bollix.

Yup. As if the Tories ever cared about any workers working for peanuts, foreign or otherwise (the workers, not the peanuts).

You could add the same about Leave / Tory voters. The idea that they are concerned about low paid British workers or the rights of EU citizens is quite laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Jean-Luc Picard

You are forgetting the law of supply and demand. Restricting immigration forces the market to offer higher pay. Loosening immigration allows the market to offer lower pay.

Legislation for a higher minimum wage on its own would have just led to a black market in cheap labour and would not have impacted pay above the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jean-Luc Picard

All markets have regulations on the shape and size of foodstuffs.

My real point is that Johnson, the Tories and their voters couldn't give a flying fig about the low paid or the poor. The whole thing is a charade : pretending to care about the low paid in order to justify their godawful Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But companies also operate supply and demand, in that they can relocate if the supply of labour isn't available.

Many companies are not going to simply wait around while wages go up while labour supply reduces due to lack of training.

Take the example of turkeys now coming from Poland rather than the UK. No increase in wages, people will actually lose jobs.

For it to work the country needs to be prepared to operate some form of protectionism, to control imports based on standards to enable the newly increaded costs of domestic production to compete with imports. But currently the UK have little to no controls, and we in fact are looking to be Global Britain and so will be looking to trade directly with less regulated economies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,732 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Any evidence? I'm aware of studies showing a limited impact in the magnitude of about 5% for specific sectors such as care.

Let's face it, this is complete twaddle:

Natural shortages might increase wages but this is a completely arbitrary shortage imposed on the United Kingdom by a nationalist government which knew about problems in the sector and then decided to exacerbate them. It's real leopards eating people's faces stuff.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Again, I do not disagree. But there is not going to be a positive end to Brexit in the short or midterm (or probably long term either). So what can be spun from reality is important for the two battles Boris Johnson has:

1. The election. Come the turn of the year there will be be two and a half years left until the next election. They already have an advantage in the media's presentation of Sir Keir, which will negatively ramp up as the election draws closer. The fact that Sir Keir isn't likeable, is alienating various sections of the remaining support, isn't helping him either. They are constantly trying to gerrymander, whether boundaries, the judiciary or electoral oversight. This taking place in a system which is already FPTP. So the chances are the Tories will win the next election. The biggest threat is that Brexit starts to look like a disaster. However, there is a ready made tried and tested solution to that problem, which is Boris Johnson's bigger, more pressing, problem number 2.
    2. The conservative party. As Brexit goes tits up, the conservatives, ruthless as they are, stick a knife deep into the back of the leader and jettison him into outer space to show the electorate that they've dealt with the problem. The billionaire-heiress-husband (dishy Rishi), if they went with him for e.g., cannot be presented as a man of the people but he can be the more usual tory incarnation of a steady hand on the tiller.

So we, Strazdas, do not disagree on what is the reality of brexit. We do not disagree on how much the government cares about low paid workers (lol). Maybe we disagree on just how big an excrement Johnson is prepared to roll in glitter and present to the British people as a toy?

If even Marr and the BBC are now turning on the Tories (see their Tory donor piece) then the tide might finally be turning. A proper sh1t Christmas might be enough to bring the government down and start the process of reversing Brexit, one piece at a time. It'll be called something else of course, to spare the proud UK's blushes, but it will be a reversal of this folly. There is no way to sustain it without the public feeling it in their living standards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a non sequitur and a bit of a "water is wet" statement, but my frustration never tires of a politicians insistence on sticking to a line, even in the face of a demonstrable contradiction - as is this instance where inflation clearly blows Johnson's boast out of the water. Just ignore the point, repeat the trained line as if anyone with half a brain would do the same. If nothing else it shows a lack of creative thinking.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

The Tories consider the BBC as ‘pinkish’ in terms of political leaning. Marr is married to the daughter of a Labour grandee … however I think he is by and large impartial. His forensic interviewing sets him apart from most.

Johnson was brutal grasping for bluster and rhetoric… however mostly nerds watch this show, but Brexit will be a slow puncture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is an intentional plan. If you think about insisting you cathedrals or insisting you didn't insult the Netherlands while being shown a tape of you insulting the Netherlands (US ambassador to Netherlands for that one).

Advertisement