Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Shoog

No, but that really is just a denier talking point. The climate change we are experiencing now is man made - end of story. Really this is a debate I had with deniers 10 years ago - its so utterly tedious to see that the same arguments are been rolled out now. Not going to entertain it.

Your just illustrating why you are not remotely interested in discussing the merits of current climate change actions, your just interested in denying man made climate change. Thats not a debate thats worth having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,486 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm 41 myself, so I guess I'm the same demographic, but boards is just a bunch of old curmudgeonly men who don't believe in climate change and think the whole green think is woke nonsense. Boards posters are up there with thejournal.ie commenters. Hopefully younger generations know that we're living in a completely unsustainable way and big changes will be made, they will have to be made anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

For the last year and half we have had scientists coming out with batshit crazy predictions about how many of us are going to die etc. We naturally copped onto it that they were using extreme predictions to get themselves and their organisations air time and media exposure.

For climate change we have been hearing predictions that have continuously flopped. According to Al Gore's predictions, we should be dead by now. Every year we are hearing that we only have 2-3 years to turn things around, or it will be irretrievable.

It has to be recognised that when science organisations are releasing reports and studies, they are not giving the actual the prediction, they are giving the absolute most extreme example. Why? Because saying the world will heat by 0.01 degrees over the next 20 years doesn't get head lines. Saying the world will heat up 2-3 degrees in 20 years, that will get you and your organisation some profile, some headlines, maybe even some funding....

I'm not denying that change is occurring (ridiculous that we need to put that disclaimer in) but you have to look at the agendas of these people. They want funding, they want profile and they will come out with the most extreme predictions to get that

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

So you won't discuss it on a discussion forum?

Thats not what this thread is about now is it, its about whether climate change actions are sustainable in Ireland. You have to accept that climate change is real to take part in that discussion otherwise your just howling at the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

What's the betting you are a woman who lives in a city with public transport outside the door and doesn't pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Arealred

The green thing here in Ireland is a load of nonsense. Some people have been brainwashed beyond belief about Irelands role in climate change. What happens in Ireland is miniscule in the overall global problem. Allowing the Greens implement ridiculous policies without alternatives in place is nuts. They have choirboys on social media but these are not representative of ordinary Irish people.

All these green policies should have impact assessments done on their effects on Rural Ireland. If left go unchecked these idiots will have wolves roaming rather than people in the countryside and car sharing in villages.

It's always someone else's problem to solve, but what happens when everyone has that attitude ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not much to support your own claims.

A few for you. The average Irish household uses 4,200 Kw. of electricity annually. According to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland 1sq m of solar panel will produce 150 W of power. on a sunny day. Now unless my maths is shot to hell the daily average energy consumption would require 77.7 sq m of solar panels.

But that is just the daily average based on a sunny Summer day. Winter consumption is 55% compared to Summers 45% so the area required in Winter would be more. Roughly 93 sq m. but you are not finished there. Being generous to the average Irish Winter`s day sunshine is 40% compared a sunny Summer`s day, 60% so you are now up to 128 sq m of solar panels. 70% of that area is 90 sq m.

For just the average house that is a lot of solar panelling to clamp on one side of the roof. Would the 10K you mentioned even come close to paying for that area plus fixtures and fittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,220 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Alternatively you could howl at all the major polluters that do not only not give a toss, but are getting an economic advantage over those that do by not giving a toss. It would have the same effect and they are closer. Even if you would be wasting your time, breath and vocal chords on either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,991 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Draconian green measures won't go down well when they are forced upon the Irish people for a decade or two, and we still find the temperature rising due to the fact that China, Russia, the US, India, Brazil and Pakistan don't give two hoots.

Maybe, if all countries came together to discuss measures that each of them would promise to adhere to and they'd sign an agreement to that effect, it might demonstrate a willingness to try to make improvements so that everyone was doing their bit.

Do you think something like that would work?

Post edited by Tell me how on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thing's that also don't help are preening celebrity's and media companies getting involved. We've had multip cases of famous people flying around the world on private jets to attend climate change conferences and meetings, to tell us small folk that we need to do more.

Last week on Sky Sports they had a "Carbon Neutral" Premier League game. They had the flood lights on at 10am, even though it was bright. They had Gary Neville, Roy Keane and Micah Richards, who all live in the north to travel down to the ground in London, when they had plenty of pundits that live in the south to do the game. They special jackets, umbrellas and Microphone heads with "Game Zero" printed on them, which would have been used once then thrown out after the match.

It's all big business doing fake PR to make themselves look good and they think we're so stupid that we don't notice it

No offence, but if someone can't grasp the concept of creating a talking point of what can be done as opposed to literally only things which are categorically, necessary to the broadcast, then stupid might be an appropriate determination with respect to their critical thinking facilities.

But, I don't actually think many people are that stupid, I think they use this argument to negate the idea of even having a conversation about changing how things are done. People did the same with Greta, tried to discount her argument of limiting unnecessary travel where possible by saying she actually didn't have to travel to the US to speak at the UN, even though she did so by boat and so no one should listen to her.

With respect to your efforts above to undermine the game zero initiative, how about if they had used Frank Lampard as a pundit, and he got a taxi from his home in London to the ground, would you complain that he should have walked? Or how about if they gave him a cup of coffee, would you complain that it should have been water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I randomly selected a house in Athlone, 16 ashdale with an East West alignment. Pvgis is an EU tool for solar performance. A 4.2kw system on that house will produce approx 2996kw which isn't a massive amount away from 70% of the yearly annual usage. That is 12 panels at 350w. Most semi detached houses could get this on their roof especially if they use both sides.

Ten grand would be very doable probably even get a battery in there too.

Will all the energy be generated at the time needed, no, but most of the summer usage would be covered.

House location

Location [Lat/Lon]:53.433, -7.943

Tool

https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/#PVP

The average installed pv system is 4kw with a similar sized battery. Having seen such a system in operation I can tell you that it performs as I described and costs about 10k to install. That system also exports power to the grid for most of the summer.

I pay particular attention to this system since its a test case for solar PV in one of the cloudiest parts of Ireland and will inform my eventual decision as to whether to install the same. With my current bills topping €1.5K per year and the introduction of buy in tariffs such a system in a marginal location will pay for itself in about 5years - probably the best cash investment possible in current market conditions.

If you were prepared to modify your behaviour a bit I daresay such a system could provide nearly 100% of your electricity.

Post edited by Shoog on

Again your per Capita rate of emissions far outstrip the per Capita emissions of a Chinese person. So you want an already low polluting Chinese person to cut his emissions so that you can do **** all. Grow up and take responsibility for your own ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

These people thrive and pounce on any weather disaster as it makes their life worth while. They literally couldn't contain their excitement at a few wildfires this summer for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I'd guess a lot of Chinese emissions are supporting our **** lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The problem with all of the options available to home owners is the price to install. SEAI is supposed to help but it doesn't.

So Solar PV was about 5k for a system before the grant, once the grant came in for 3800 that system should have been 1200 to the home owner. Imagine how many people would roll out then. But instead it was suddenly 9k.I did pricing before and after grant so I know.

It is the same with all grant, I put in insulation into the cavity, more or less price under the table with no grant was cheaper than price with the grant. I was doing it anyway so I paid cash. But in reality it should have been a lot cheaper via SEAI

Unless the government and SEAI fix the system then a lot of the solution we could have are pointless.

I dont understand contractors either, if you could install thousands of systems at low cost you would make more than 1-2 at high cost. But it seems to be pure greed and wanting to screw as much out of people. When I got my PV installed I rang a guy and he told me for the price I paid he wouldnt be able to take the panels out of the shed for that money, when I told him how much he actually paid for the panels he just said he had profit to make. His mark up was incredible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just spotted this. i wonder how prevalent this view is; people who think a field full of cattle or a hillside gazed bare by sheep is 'natural'.

The SEAI Grants are a con, I would never draw down a grant for the simple reason that it will cost you more overall. The issue then becomes - can your non grant aided installer hook you to the grid to maximize your utility of what you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭jackboy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, that's the point. agriculture is not a natural state of affairs.

No but if we ate less meat and dairy we'd need far less land for farming and could rewild areas, growing veg takes up far less space and uses far less water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This all sounds very 1960s hippie commune! What exactly does this plan look like, in detail? And how do we substitute the nutritional values these foods give the body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, if it was well thought out, planned and executed. We know from experience that the Greens are not capable of that. They would likely just hammer all beef and dairy farmers and tell farmers to convert to veg even if their land is completely unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

A battery can barely discharge quickly enough to power your lights, TV and other devices.

Come the evening, when you have a shower, turn on your oven, or even boil the kettle, your battery is doing a small fraction of the work involved.

That's today. What do you think will happen when you get your electric car and heat pump?

For about twenty billion euro, you've succeeded in generating vast amounts of power at a time when we don't need it. You've also occupied a significant fraction of Ireland's construction industry for the best part of a decade, and put out an enormous 'burp' of carbon in the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

At some stage you have to bring the boyos in, so to connect to grid on self installed they will rip you off….unless you know someone who can do it buts that’s maybe 2% of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Nermal

Younger generations talk the talk, and we know how cheap talk is.

They don't stop flying, they don't stop consuming, any more than any of the rest of us.

When I see them living 'sustainably', perhaps I will take them seriously.

This consumer crazy wasteful world was pushed on them from birth by older generations yet you expect them to solve this mess too. The kids aren't driving themselves to school in Range Rovers, their parents are.

Don't eat beef or dairy myself and I'm a perfect Adonis of a man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Exactly right, there’s barely any awareness about the destruction of biodiversity by the spreading of slurry, one of the most damaging and disgusting practices in this country.

Your so out of touch with what batteries can do its not funny. Do you imagine a technology that can power a car along at 150mph isn't capable of boiling a kettle. Educate yourself please.

Really? Probably the stupidest thing iv ever read. I can't think of anything more natural to be honest than animals grazing in a field. Maybe the way we manage it at the moment is not ideal but take a time machine back even a couple decades or even further back and walk through the countryside what do you think you will find? I'm willing to bet it'll be herds of animals grazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Vegetarian/Vegan is pretty mainstream now.

Long since moved on from 60's hippie commune vibe.

No problem in having a good diet just look up online or have a chat with your local tame veggie person.

Intensive beef or Diary farming is so far from your pastoral vision that is not funny.

The path that the agricultural sector is currently on will inevitably lead to multiple EU fines for emissions, water pollution, impacts on Natura2000 sites. It will increase the costs to treat water to a safe standard. It will guarantee that Ireland misses its climate change target which are legally binding. It will also ensure the continued decline of Biodiversity across the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

For a system that size would cost about 6k after the 3k grant.

Solar PV is not as expensive as a lot of people are making out. Yes some companies are quoting eye watering amounts but with a little bit of homework good value can be found. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058055040/domestic-solar-pv-quotes-2020#latest

• Advertisement

I think with grid connection and ground works (a lot of people will not have ideal roof space so a ground install is better) I would say 8K is a reasonable figure and that is what my friend paid after the 3K grant. However I am not certain that they haven't pulled the grant this year so that would put it up to about 10K.

My main take home is that its stupidly good value for money and will out perform just about any cash investment so you would be literally stupid not to do it if you have the cash - regardless of your opinions on climate change.

A battery for a solar setup can easily run a house a night time and get you through the night.

Im sorry to say he was over charged. But tbf at least he went for it. too many are saying Ireland is not suitable for solar, on the contrary I is perfect for Solar PV.

I certainly think its reasonable to expect 70% of use with that sort of install, and even better if you dump your excess into water heating before spilling to the grid for the derisory buy in tariff. When people think of batteries they imagine the old lead acids with life expectancies of less than 6years (typically). LiFPO4 will give at least 10years of useful service and potentially double that before end of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm so glad people with these opinions are in the minority.

You would swear Ireland was the only country that introduced restrictions for Covid. Every country in the world did it. Are you seriously saying you know better.

The horrendously sad story of Joe McCarron encouraged to leave hospital by your like minded covid deniers and then dies 2 days later.

The simple truth is current methods of energy production are not sustainable. The transition will be painful and mistake will be made but the current status quo is not a long term option.

That is the view in every developed nation in the world. Are they all wrong?

Of course they are, but at the same time cattle grazing grass isn't the problem. Its a management problem.

But agriculture also captures the most carbon. What are is transport industry, construction, airline industry doing to help capture there emissions?

Yes the hot water diverter is very helpful, I normally have the oil boiler switched of for 6 months of the year.

The feed in tariff is a total balls up and from what im hearing the smart meters cant count the power sent to the grid from a home solar setup.

It takes a lot of effort to have a **** up that big but our Government dose it with such ease its freighting.

My diet is fine. I draw on all types but this is a very poor argument for a change to agriculture that is dependent on enforced complete lifestyle changes.

Your mirror is no judge of what everyone else should do! Having less wasted food is a better target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I wasn't referring to "enforced complete lifestyle changes".

I was just answering the question you asked about nutritional values.

Advertisement