Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricity prices

Options
  • 02-10-2021 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know much about switching electric prices. We have just had ours increased again and I want to get a bit smarter with it, we have a smart metre installed but haven't switched over yet. Currently paying 0.1945 +vat per kw on a 24 hour plan. Does anyone know if the night / day plans are any good or do you have to be really disciplined re using washing machine etc at night? Or does anyone use the one day free plan?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Go to an independent cost comparision website. I aleays use bonkers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi, many people recommend price comparison websites and Bonkers.ie seems highly recommended. The trick however in changing suppliers is remembering any discounts offered are generally for a 12 month period and time and time again, I hear people forgetting to either renew or again search for a new deal near the 12 month cut of point of deal they signed up to.

In essence once 12 month special introductory offer ends, your moved onto the standard tariff being offered by the supplier, normally much higher than offer your on.

You asked about the free weekend day. I'm on a very old Electric Ireland tariff, had smart meter installed almost 2 years ago. Looked very, very careful at the new smart tariffs including the free one weekend day offer and concluded new tariff unit rates much higher in cost, also the Fine print says clearly re the free weekend day (fair usage policy applies), finally , I also learned, once you move to a smart tariff, you cannot go back to what you had. I'm a low usage customer in fairness so these new tariffs may suit heavy users but do thoroughly check each plan. Obviously to avail of smart tariffs, you have a smart meter installed.

Re day/night , I've no experience of these but my neighbour with two young children does have one, she swears by it, washing machine, Dryer etc timed , storage heater in outside office etc.

Finally, worth pointing out, suppliers can and do increase prices regardless of what your agreement is, as many people are discovering, Utility/ Energy prices not covered under normal contract price agreements and subjectto fluctuations, un like for example mobile phone contract so keep this mind and regardless were you get your supply, Government levies, standing charges still apply.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^^* Agree 100% you need to change supplier annually. Bonkers will remind you by email to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They are 100% covered by the exact same legislation as mobile phone companies, but it is down to the plan you have chosen.

Phone plans are mostly "fixed" rate for a specific term. And therefore because they are fixed, changing them means a change in the contract

I have a 2 year fixed price contract with Energia from last December. They cannot change this price. Obviously if prices dropped, I would not get the advantage of the drop.

Most people are on variable rates for electricity and gas, so as it is a "variable" rate, the contract that you have agreed to stipulates that the price can move up and down at any point (prices dropped in 2020)

I wouldn't be looking at fixed rates at current rates.

For the OP - they need to check if the are in contract as 19.45 +vat seems to be under the current market standard rate

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apologies, it seemed based on reporting, numerous energy suppliers had raised prices, some 4 times this year, I understood incorrectly obviously that energy prices due to market fluctuations couldn't be fixed so point taken 😉

Just in relation to OP "S current tariff price, mine is actually less, I'm a very old tariff (20 years) albeit expecting increase soon.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement