Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

I am assuming its sarcasm of the highest order... once things go back to normal and traffic hell resumes , in a few months, see how delaying this yet again , goes down...

The Irish green party are fools , wont be voting for them again... new bike lanes everywhere , no extra usage... maybe free motor tax and horrendous public transport should he addressed , rather than token gesture bike lanes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I feel so naive, even though I went into the last election pretty much knowing that the Greens would disgrace themselves again, and I still only gave them 4th or 5th preference I think, but I should have just binned them entirely. If you want to go Green go Red, folks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Eamon Ryan has spent the last week in the media saying he hopes the Metro will be only delayed by 7 year and he can’t guarantee there won’t be widespread blackouts this winter. The bang of incompetence off him at the minute is breathtaking (we know about the nuances of these issues on this forum but the general public wouldn’t follow them as closely as we do).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

He said this yesterday:

Eamon Ryan, the transport minister, faced questions about the timeline for the delivery of the Metrolink at the Oireachtas transport committee yesterday. He said that the length of time for construction would depend on the outcome of the planning process. The 2028 timeframe “could be potentially deliverable”, he said, but that he expected it to be “later than that”. He added that he did not expect it to be delivered later than 2034.

Which begs the question.. What on earth is he playing at? It could potentially be mostly on time but could potentially be really delayed. Huh? It sounds like he just doesn't want to put a date on it but he absolutely has to now. Is 2034 a worst case scenario?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-firm-in-talks-over-oconnell-street-building-project-as-metrolink-faces-years-of-delay-slfjv0mkm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

LoL. This should be on the conspiracy theories forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,875 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It could be on time or it could be six years late. He doesn’t know.

And yet there’s people out there who defend the pay and perks of politicians.

Nah! its actually yet another bullshit excuse this government would be capable of pulling out, to can the project again... And yes, I know the power it consumes, in the scheme of things, is beyond minute. But this is the irish government we are talking about... they now have the looming power issue as another get out of jail card.. banana republic!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We all knew before this the 2027 opening date wasn't achievable, and we all know that how long beyond that it will be is "how long is a piece of string" territory. In truth, there has been no revelations this week. The most disappointing thing is how indifferent Ryan is to the project. He should be piling pressure on his partners in government to commit to Metrolink and to push on with it as quickly as possible, instead he seems to just accept talk of delays with a "ah well, nevermind".

He's the one who told us how revolutionary the 2:1 transport spending split would be, with the lions share going to public transport. He is the Transport Minister with the biggest warchest for public transport in the history of the state, yet he seems more interested in moaning about roads than actually delivering public transport.

Eamon Ryan's attendance at the Oireachtas Committee on Transport and Communications yesterday is worth a watch. The MetroLink debate starts at around 49:30 and lasts for 15 minutes. The bit at the end from 1:00:30 is really interesting.

He seems to be saying that the 2027 opening date wasn't realistic but that he can't give a new estimate until the railway order is approved because of uncertainties in the planning system including potentially being directed to make changes by An Bord Pleanála. I don't see how that's different from before. While that's true, it's the same for every road and rail project we build. Unless they're expecting having to make changes.

He also talks about the new Public Spending Code which involves having to do a lot of the work earlier on than previously to get a better estimate of costs at earlier decision gates. Again, technically true but it's the same for every other project.

Does that mean that, going forward, the government is not going to give any estimates of when large projects will be completed until the planning phase is finished? I think that's a terrible way to build large projects and is not at all helpful for getting public buy in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I find it's important not to just read threads like these and to go back to the source. Many people on this thread have misrepresented Ryan. He acknowledged the problems that judicial reviews have been causing. In the above video he never said anything about 2028-2034 being the range and dismissed 2034 as pure media speculation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The Sunday Mail leading with an article tomorrow stating that the viability of MetroLink is now in serious doubt as the cost rises to €10bn. The briefing is coming from somewhere on the official side, no doubt about it. Someone wants the project torpedoed.

I'm not believing that one. There's some truth in it in that the cost has definitely gone up but I don't believe the €10bn figure at all.

There's been a lot of public fighting over the NDP this week. Someone in cabinet is out for this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭prunudo

We'll never get a metro or any major rail infrastructure if they keep focusing on the price. As the years pass by, its only going to get higher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What the actual....? What? How can a Metrolink line from Swords to Charlemont going to cost €10 billion to the Irish Exchequer? I would find that article to be a load of absolute rubbish. €10 billion my hoop. Who the hell in this day and age is quoting a massive sum of money like that for this sort of project, that will give huge benefits to people living in North Dublin; to a rag like the Irish MOS? It just doesn't make any realistic sense at all.

Will they ever get out off the stage and smell the coffee for once.

This is the same sort of crap from their supposed article about Metrolink not going ahead in their own paper should not have gained any traction from that rag last week while it was completely debunked by senior ministers in our government some days later. When will the hysteria actually stop about Metrolink & just get it built once & for all?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have to remember that the civil service is institutionally biased against investment in rail projects and has been for some time.

At the same time some posters here are saying that Eamon Ryan isn’t backing these rail projects enough.

None of us are privy to what is going on behind the scenes - most cabinet haggling happens off the record and not in public.

Someone is clearly briefing the MoS off the record against Metrolink - let’s wait and see what’s in the NDP on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There really needs to be some accountability in the media. I'm all for freedom of the media and wouldn't go as far as forcing them to reveal their source (not that there would be any issues in doing so in this case but there may be in other cases) but they shouldn't be allowed to publish such sensationalist nonsense.

The NDP is extremely important for the future of our country and gobshites shouldn't be allowed an undue influence with these hysterical headlines. That €10bn figure will stick with plenty of people, even though it is complete bs. This is the same kind of thing which the media in the UK was allowed get away with which hugely contributed to Brexit but the same media take no responsibility for the disastrous consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The combined cost of metrolink, Dart+ and BusConnects could well be 10bn over a decade of construction, perhaps this is the figure they recieved officially and misquoted it. Really that's quite cheap, we spent double that on the motorway network over a decade to move less than a quarter of the people that the three public transport projects will move.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Ryan should be out at least once per month briefing on the Metrolink and Dart expansion to keep the momentum going. Instead, silence - then 2034 perhaps. Now €10 billion. He needs to be out of the traps denying that figure, and restating his commitment to the projects emphasising the benefits to Dublin for both projects.

He has briefed about rail projects like Athenry to Tuam and a direct rail link from Limerick to Cork. Utter rubbish projects.

He always comes across to me as a weak politician with loser written all over him. Unfortunately he is my local TD.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

He also has the record of being in Government during the term that the most motorway was built in the history of the State (2007-2011).

Instead of one dimensional anti roads and anti car stuff he should be pushing his public transport projects and getting both done. Instead he’s trying to push his ideas and obstruct the ideas of the majority parties in Government. Not sure how he thinks that’s gonna succeed in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

There’s a lot written here, can’t help but laugh at the “five luases” thing. City centre luas capacity is full so without removing most of the Buses from town it’s a non runner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The Metrolink will get from the airport to the city centre in, what, 20 mins while the Luas will take twice that. Luas will have less that 50% capacity compared to Metrolink. Of course, we could continue with the coaches from the airport except the roads cannot cope at present, so what happens when demand increases?

Now Metrolink is not just airport to city centre, it is Sandyford to Swords with plenty of journey generators in between. Try using a surface Luas to satisfy all of those.

Metro systems are going in all over the world - except Ireland. What is so exceptional about Ireland that it can manage an old city using surface trams and buses for public transport?

According to the MoS, Ryan and the Department of Transport are the only ones fighting for it. With all the negative comments coming from "senior officials" from unnamed departments and other cabinet ministers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I hope you didnt lower yourself to buying the daily mail

Sounds like dirty tricks from at least one of the Gov parties.

Leak some unattributed figures (from unnamed Ministers just to give it extra credibility) of massive costs and elongated timescales into the media and wait for the denials. That figure then grows legs. Look what happened to the Children's Hospital - we have the most expensive hospital in the world by quite a margin that has been being proposed for nearly two decades and is still years away from completion.

Mind you, Metrolink/Merto North has also been proposed for as long.

I wouldn't be caught dead buying the Mail! 😂

Someone kindly sent me a screenshot of the e-paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My family used to buy the Irish MOS when I was a teenager. But now my mum buys it every Wednesday for the Health section. I think the main problem with buying this paper in the first place is that when big infrastructure projects like Metrolink are being talked about by this paper, is that they are the very 1st paper to actually try to discuss and complain about the costs of the project rather than not discussing the long term value of the project for people who will use it in Dublin over the longer term from it's opening date onwards & then into the future.

When @cgcsb says that the €10 billion figure, or maybe under it, may include things covered in the revised NDP like Metrolink, Dart+, BusConnects; those levels of cost does actually appear to make more sense to me at this point as I would find it to be very good value from a transport user's pov. If anyone was given a figure of €10 billion from the very first indication of it being proposed; people would have gone AWOL. They would justified in their stance of protest in saying that Metrolink was going to be expensive in the long run.

But reality will say to us that we are not approaching those levels of costs for this one project alone. People should be able to understand educate themselves that Metrolink would never approach ever the intention of paying €10 billion for one single line if it was going to be extended to places like Sandyford or even down to Cherrywood that is near to areas like Loughlinstown in a few years time. They will begin to understand later on that this headline figure of €10 billion is just a red herring & should not be relevant when talking about it's long term value once it's built for people living in Dublin. If you were building extensions to the Metrolink to those places; the levels of distance that will be travelled between them is so small that the overall costs of it will be negligible in the long run.

A big reason in how I know this is I do live near the areas of Leopardstown & Sandyford over a very long time. As a local person living near this part of south Dublin; I do understand the advantage of using the Luas in that area many times already since it opened to the public about roughly 17 years ago.

So, in final summary, what I am saying to people here is that they should be able to understand that a big chunk of the Metrolink line already being proposed from Swords to Charlemont/Sandyford is a really good first step to getting the job done while the state goes onto build the first iteration of the project. They should be happy that the project is being committed to getting built by the state under the revised NDP rather than going on to moan about it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RTE news reporting on the NDP:

”RTÉ News understands there will be a firm commitment to Dublin's proposed MetroLink in the document.”

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

'firm commitment' and actually building the Metro are not the same thing.

As much as this hurts, experiences tells me - beyond a shadow of a doubt - that the Mail on Sunday story is almost certainly the true one.

Airport Luas at the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭noelfirl

For any rail based infrastructure in Ireland, until the point that hoardings appear around the construction sites, it's best to conclude whatever it is won't be built. That way you can avoid disappointment.

Post edited by noelfirl on

• Advertisement

There is no point putting the luas to the airport. Just get the planning in for Dublin metro as planned. When traffic hell is back after several more months, see the pressure there will be, if they try to scrap it then....

Advertisement