Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

As with all insurers, this is sim[ply away to get out of paying out on the policy.

If you answer no and you should have answered yes, then 10 years down the line, one of you croaks and the insurers will uncover this and not pay out.

So answer with the truth. Answering that you had covid or were a close contact wont make a difference as the long term effects are not yet known so cant be quantified. They might load a euro or 2 onto the payments but thats it.

I worked in a well know insurance company years ago and i sat beside a team of about 10 people whose sole job was to find ways of not paying out on claims that came in.

That covid question is a setup for exactly this team.

The government will have to intervene, given that Covid will be endemic and most of us will have got it at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

You've no idea how its going to pan out, one way or another. Insurance companies have a long history of riding the Irish public for all they're worth. The Government has taken relatively minimal steps to step in on any issues relating to insurance up to now.

If it were me, I'd be honest re any Covid questions. Pay the extra bit of premium now, and at least you'll still have cover if the worst were to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If sales are falling through, it suggests that it's not just a case of paying a couple of extra euros but that insurers are declining cover.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Apparently it depends on how long ago you had it - some people are just sent for a medical if it was over 6 months ago, and if they get the all clear they can get covered but AFAIK the premium might be higher. Apparently if you've had it less than 6 months ago or have long covid, it can be hard to get cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 elzibar

Thought the market might have cooled a little by now, but no chance! Outbid by substantial amount on three properties in as many weeks, called to arrange a second viewing for another and the EA all but laughed at me 'Oh sure that's gone for well over asking at this stage!', and also seeing a few properties reappear on the market but now they're asking for higher. Sorry for the rant but banging my head against a wall here! I know that there are a hell of a lot of people in the same boat, and there will always be someone with more money, and if I have an offer accepted it will be blind luck and perseverance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was talking to a mates wife who used to be an EA and asked her why EAs are not getting back to some people.

She said the EA will cover up the bids from people who they think might take a bit longer than a lower bid to close.

If they do even bring the bid to the vendor they will do their best to convince the vendor that bidder is not a good one.

This is because the EA has to do the smallest amount of work for the commission the faster they get the sale closed. So they are happy to interfere with a bid even as high as €25k more as the commission doesnt make up for the extra work. So if you are a vendor make damned sure you tell the EA you want to hear about every single bid no matter what the EA thinks. You might be happy to wait for someone to go sale agreed if you get €10 or €20k more for your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

I don't think you were implying that I had been dishonest but just for clarity, what I should have written was "I was able to truthfully say no" to the questions. 😂 I'm just lucky in that I avoided catching Covid. It's definitely a long term headache for all involved. Lying on the form is defintiely not a good idea.

This is the first time I've heard of someone being sent for a medical - then again, anyone I know who has been looking for a house over covid hasn't had much luck going sale agreed so far, so that's probably why. Really terrible situation for prospective home buyers who have had it recently, so.

I wonder will we see coverage of this in the media soon...

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That's what I was told by a friend who works for a mortgage broker, although I'm not sure exactly what a medical would show. Maybe it's to rule out long covid or something, or if you'd had any post-covid complications - AFAIK they ask for a report from your GP also, so that might give an indication if you had ongoing issues related to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

We bought a house last year, ad on Daft stayed 'For Sale' until after we got the keys - almost 5 months Sale Agreed, 3 months of which contracts were signed! I had to comtact them to remove the ad. Sign outside the house also never had 'Sale Agreed' attached throughout that time. They just fobbed us off the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

At what stage would you guys recommend having the surveying done? I'm currently at the stage where I've received the loan offer, done a second viewing to take a closer look at everything and measured the rooms and now waiting to hear what the next steps are from the solicitor/Lender. Just trying to make sure I do all the steps at the right time to make the process as smooth as possible.

AS soon as you're sale agreed you start the process to get the survey done. If they're busy you may be waiting a few weeks, so I'd get on it as soon as you can

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

If you're sale agreed you could probably go ahead and get it done now. Depending on the engineer/surveyor you could be waiting a few weeks for them to even get to the property, they were all very busy when I got mine done a few months ago. When I went sale agreed on my apartment a few months ago the estate agent recommended I get the survey done within the first two weeks of being sale agreed. I don't really know why he said two weeks, but ho hum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Anyone any recommendations on someone to do the surveying

How much roughly are we talking 75 sq m 2 bed apartment

Mine was €369 after VAT for basically the same size, two bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Shuukaido

Can anybody PM some recommendations for professional snagging in Dublin?

If that was Dublin will you pm me the name of this company please

It was in Clare, so the person who did it is of no use to you unfortunately. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

I am the vendor of this property , have deeds not in chain (either of us ) . The next one I sell will be chain so dreading that one . Apparently signing contracts this week, hope to close in another two weeks

• Advertisement

On the house I just bought, there was no chain on either side - vendor hadn't got a mortgage, so had the deeds, and we had mortgage approval. Went sale agreed on 24th of June, signed contracts on 9th of August and closed on 1st September. Would have had it done sooner but the vendor's solicitor was absolutely abysmal at responding to any communication from our solicitor or the estate agent. In the end the vendor had to prod them every step of the way and we eventually got it over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Neurotic question here 😳 Would anyone have an example of a typical timeline from receipt of contracts (by the buyer) to closing?

We have everything else done from our side - loan pack, survey, valuation, mortgage protection, etc, but vendor's solicitor has not yet issued the contracts to ours. They have probate finished, not in a chain, and the house is unoccupied. Is it a case of back and forth for a couple of weeks (let's hope with no issues), then signing, then another couple of weeks to close? I get that every situation can end up different but I was just wondering about best case scenarios.

We are wondering if the valuation for LPT will fall to us or the vendor (i.e. would we possibly get the keys before the end of the month) - since the Vendor doesn't live in this country then I'm thinking we need to ask the solicitor to ensure it's done by the vendor (in case they are unaware it's happening). We don't want the LPT to end up being estimated by the council as currently their valuation tool is valuing the area at 200k over what we are paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Hontou

I have just sold a vacant house. From sale agreed to money in our bank account took just over 4 weeks to my surprise. The money was in my bank account 2 days after contracts were signed. The buyer was in a chain but sensibly did not put the offer on my house until theirs had contracts signed. They paid their deposit immediately and had a surveyor lined up ready that did the survey within days of us going sale agreed. I think all credit is due here to the solicitors on both sides and to the buyer who was 100% ready to proceed when they put their offer in. I have bought and sold 7 properties in my life time and they have all taken between 5 months and 11 months to go from sale agreed to keys. My own purchase of the same house took 8 months because there were issues with finance on my side, planning and a freehold which my solicitor sorted out, but it took time.

Because we used the same solicitor for the sale everything was in place to proceed quickly this time. My advice for a quick purchase is: have your finance approved before viewings, have the paperwork ready to reapply before your approval runs out of date and pay the deposit immediately. Know what surveyor you are going to use in advance of viewings. Expect delays over Summer months and in December. If there are delays because of title / planning etc, don't rush your solicitor as they are protecting you by getting the relevant information.

"The buyer was in a chain but sensibly did not put the offer on my house until theirs had contracts signed. "

How is that sensible though? Did the fact that they had contracts signed on their own property (which they were selling) not put them under pressure to find and purchase their next property? Surely the sensible thing is to be sale agreed on their own property, no?

I can 100% see how it worked for you, don't get me wrong.

What’s the typical time frame for bank approving loan and issuing loan pack to solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I’m sure it varies from bank to bank but with Haven it was about a week from confirmation of approval via broker to loan docs in our (and solicitors) letterbox

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluejohn1

Anyone been in a chain and have experience with the house the vendors are trying to purchase having issues with the title? Could it be another party is involved on a will or something?House is not lived in currently.

Went sale agreed beginning of July, then complete radio silence until 2nd of September. We met with our solicitor and reviewed the contract but it left the closing date as to be arranged. Our solicitor mentioned how the vendors solicitor was talking that things would move quickly enough and a proper due date should materialise. So silly us we decided to sign the contract without a proper due date from how our solicitor reassured us and us wanting the house of course.

Fast foward to now and we have just been informed of the issues mentioned above. I’m mainly wondering now due to the vendors not returning their part of the signed contract and no set date for the closing of the sale, is the contract binding yet?

We want the house but we now need to start thinking about going back to the market if this delay could go on months and months. Any advice would be appreciated.

Couldn’t reach my solicitor today after their email. Reason I’m asking here.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Hontou

You are correct as yes it did put them under pressure. They expected they would have to move in with family or rent for a while......but as the process was so fast they didn't have to. They were the preferred buyers for us as they had proof of funds ready to go. There was a higher offer but no definite evidence of funds so I went with the safer bet. This is in a rural area where properties are not shifting as fast as other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

When buying a new house - What are usual things which come with a new house like appliance or wooden flooring for rooms?

Whats the usual practice please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

It completely depends on the developer and the estate.

Some will come with a flooring allowance, others with an appliance allowance or voucher, others will come with a choice of a few flooring types or styles, others will come with X Brand appliances supplied. Some houses come with quartz countertops, others with laminate. Some will come with shower doors installed, others not, etc etc etc

you might get a side gate in a given style (if relevant) you might not.

it would be best ask the EA or people you know in estate you’re looking at. Otherwise you’re completely guessing. If I were you I would count on walls, doors, windows, sanitary ware and that’s about it - everything else depends on the house and estate.

Advertisement