Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Read this last night. Everton first qualified for the European Cup /Champions League in 1963, 58 years ago.

In that time, they have won a total of 2 (two) games in the competition.

Sheriff Tiraspol first qualified this year. They've already won as many games 😀

Be still cheering them on this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Milner seems the obvious Trent replacement but i wonder will Klopp try Gomez or even Tsimakas at right back

Its not even because of Milners lack or pace i say that more down to freshness of movement and mind that will be needed against City,

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

6 wins. I'm very optimistic. only one I find tricky is Madrid away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Why would he play our second choice lb at rb? When we have a perfectly capable Milner, an adequate replacement in Gomez or Neco also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Don't mention the war. This sort of thing usually ends up in Heysel chat and the effect of the English club ban on Everton. Best leave it.

Was just about to post, anyone following football in the 80s would remember what a good team Everton were in the mid 80’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

While you are being a bit harsh on tsimakas(i think he should get a run as first choice lb) him or Robertson can't play rb. Milners substitution around the hour mark indicates that he is likely to start rb, maybe gomez will get on later in the game depending on how it goes.

Actually there some method behind the madness ,

City's winger constantly cuts inside so its on to Tsimkas stronger side, seen many manger do it over the years Rafa used it on Messi when we beat them over there, ( famous golf club swing ) , Also Tsmiakas has a wand of a left afoot so be nice to have his passing range in the team with Trent out ,,

Look at City Cancelo is a RB who plays a lot at LB in the same way .,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Still sounds like a crazy plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,045 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m grand with Milner at rb, but would disagree that Tsimi or Robbo can’t play at right back - and indeed play well there. It’s not exactly the biggest change in the world. It’s not ideal to have to come inside to play your best quality final ball off your left, but that’s about the only issue. Defensively, and in build up play, both would be grand, and both are solid all round footballers. Sure Robbo finds himself all over the field, including occasionally ending up trading places with Trent on the right as it is anyway.

It’s certainly an option anyway and something we’ve seen from plenty of fullbacks before, like Arbeloa, Lahm, Irwin, Cancelo etc. Sure Gomez first broke into the team as a left back, and obviously Milner himself spent a whole season as our left back very capably.

They are professional footballers, no doubt they have tried playing rb at different stages of their careers, be it only practice games etc, for one reason or another they have stayed playing lb, they might get away with playing rb for a game but i guarantee you that there are obvious weaknesses in their game playing rb, Milner, gomez and Williams first please.

like, they stayed left backs because they’re left footed…

you sort of undermine your own argument by citing Milner and Gomez in particular - two right footed players who very successfully played left back for long periods. Neither had played there until they did, and both were absolutely fine there.

it’s just not as big a deal as you’re making out…

Its not a big deal for good footballers ,

Also if you notice Trent takes up a lot of positions infield while Hendo goes to the touch line ,that infield position could suit Tsimaks with his left foot, Also can benefit defending because Grealish constantly cuts inside

Klopp will probably go Milner but a left back going right wouldn't be crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

For me switching a full back all depends on how bad their weak foot is. If there's zero threat from their weak foot then it has to be ruled out. If their able to put in a decent cross with their weak foot then it's possible and in some cases a nice variant. If the opposition only have to worry about the centre then the full back loses a vital threat. Body position and first touch are very instinctive. They have to be able to alter those in a top level game. Lahm, Irwin and Milner are/were great. Finnan i didn't think was great at it for example, or Ashley Cole.

I don't know if Robertson would be great. His shooting for example is awful on either foot. I don't think he's a utility man. Tsimikas i think has a wider football ability. It'd be interesting to find out.

Robertson had that experiment at international level and it hasn't been repeated.

• Advertisement

I agree with the point that they have to have a half decent week foot - don’t have to be great, but just able to loft in a floating ball, or a stunned low pass as an option. Surprised you mention Finan there as a negative - imo it was perhaps the most impressive part of his game. He got tonnes of assists off his left. Robbo has always looked similarly capable off his right foot too. It’s something he uses fairly often, as for all the up-the-line-swing-in-a-cross runs he makes, there’s also a lot of checking back inside to take part in the interplay around the box.

Milner for me every day at right back. Incidentally, didn’t he play left back while Robbo was finding his feet in the reserves when joining from Hull? He was still an upgrade on the “natural” left back that was the calamity Moreno. After Milner, it would be Gomez then the Greek, Nico is not up to this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Yeah, he was. I think he got a run out for Ireland on the left once and was out of sorts. Could have been before his Liverpool days. He had a shaky start at Liverpool too and i think in my head he was comfortable on the right and discombobulated on the left. I could be seeing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's only watchingthat you hear his NW accent .

• Advertisement

Nearly played a whole season at left back ahead of Moreno, was it in 20l6/17

Yeah, exactly. We'd failed to bring in the preferred choice for the 16/17 season - Ben Chillwell - so they went with Milner for that whole season. Then signed Robertson the following season. It did take a couple months for Robertson to earn his starting spot alright, but it was Moreno that started rather than Milner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ah it's well known that he's a pool fan, he regularly attends games.

He's been quoted about his memory of being in Istanbul for the 2005 final and said at 3 down it scared the living daylights out of him and he felt like a spectre but after penalties he said to his son..that this was a life lesson and never say never again.

He also has a ticket for the 2022 final and hopes Liverpool are there so he can send from Russia with love after they secure their 007 CL title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Moreno only lost his place the season Robertson came in due to injury. It is interesting to me that Robertson was just "finding his feet". I believe there was a lot of skepticism about his signing and how it was money wasted because he couldn't displace Moreno immediately. What is more interesting is that Klopp didn't replace Moreno immediately either after his horror show against Sevilla in late November. It was an ankle injury that meant Robertson came in permanently to replace him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I recall Kloop being very annoyed about his coaches not telling him about Robbo being a new dad, so that the club could support him at that time. He was dealing with new club, new team mates, new style of playing, new tactics, new baby, new house, new city, baby feeding schedule etc etc

I think tomorrows the tyoe of game where Gini will be a big miss, Just the experience and shift and believe he had in then big games,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Suarez scores the second for Atletico v Barca, apparently he's now scored against the 31 Spanish teams he has played against, some going in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

8 hours between the last 2 posts before this on a day before a massive game. Must be a record in here. Everyone quietly confident or dreading the worst ?

More to do with boards losing lots of posters since the upgrade I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Atletico is some team, played 8 and won 5 and their GD is 5. They won their last match 2-0. I don't know what that team is, but they sure are one of a kind. Before the match against Barcelona all their previous results had only 1 goal in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's ironic that they can't afford to sack Koeman. They so so want to, but can't afford to pay him off.

Liverpool ruined Barca, via that special night, and via Coutinho

Simone is a great manager, but no one in the premier leagues top clubs would hire a hater of football. I'd never want him at Liverpool, and I'm sure City, United would not want him either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

This Liverpool team and manager are the best I've seen and could be the best I ever see so I'm always confident they can win against anyone.

3-1 win in a wild game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ah simone is another level of negative football and cynicism. It's turgid stuff to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

United would trip over their own shite to sign him. It wouldn't be pretty but unlike Jose, Diego still wins stuff with his methods. The lack of decent alternatives is probably the only reason Ole is still in a job.

It doesn't really matter what we expect, we know they'll give us a good show

Salah is not in the top 20 earners in league, I dunno who Thomas Partey or Tanguy Ndombele are, but they're on more.

Liverpool need to sort it out, all it takes is a new commercial deal with someone to cover Salah#s wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

City with a big game midweek that they lost?

Nobody talking about liverpool as they keep winning and creating a hatful of chances?

Quietly confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

Me too. As I was before the season began I think this Liverpool squad are absolutely on it and have a serious intent to make amends for last season and I fully expect them to do so. Tomorrow is a major step to make along the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

There's goals in Liverpool so there is a big reason to be optimistic.

Man City are not conceding shots, let alone goals so there is a reason to be pessimistic.

Something will have to give. We'll know a lot about both teams with how they start. I think Liverpool will want to start fast and try and get the early goal. Maybe even try and win the game before 30 mins, which has happened before in these games. On the other hand, we could also see City just try and kill the game and play out a draw. They also have history with that. City playing away at the Bridge & Anfield in the opening 7 games without defeat would be a big boost to them in the title charge.

Elsewhere, was very happy to see Klopp come out and say all players should be vaccinated, and that his Liverpool team are all covered (well, he said 99.9% vaccinated which i presume means, like, one person is awaiting a second jab or something). Given that the premier league itself is only 35% vaccinated (according to Off the Ball this week), that's great to see.

We keep hearing the 'personal choice' thing from other managers, but it's really not... not if you want to work in an industry with loads of travel, surrounded by other people. If you want to take a leave of absence and stay home, away from people, grand - but you can't have it both ways where you don't get vaccinated, and also want to take part fully in work and social pursuits.

Particularly think it should be 100% mandatory for international squads.

First bits got to do with your age, I’m sure anyone lucky enough to see the Liverpool teams from the mid seventies to the end to Kenny’s first stint as manager would argue with you.

The first season of the triumvirate that was Barnes/Aldridge/Beardsley was something to behold, when Kenny and Rush ruled the first division, they were brilliant. Watching Souness play in his prime was something else, he was the Roy Keane of his era, etc, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Suarez just never changes 😅

https://twitter.com/PurelyFootball/status/1444420201739661322?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If it was away i'd have been worried, but with us at home im a little more confident.

The goals in that game were just so fun - they felt like insults as much as strikes.

Love that long pause Mane takes, it’s like he’s weighing everything up, thinking about all his options, and then decides “yeah, I’ll just smash it top corner I guess “.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Have a great weekend so far with my kids team winning a local Derby yesterday.

We will both be glued into this in a couple of hours. Bit worried about our right side but expecting this to be some match..

• Advertisement
Advertisement