Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virginia Creeper/ Boston Ivy or what?

Options
  • 03-10-2021 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭

I have a large vigorous plant growing on the front of my house that was here when we came. It is identical to parthenocissus and is just changing colour, but it has no suckers and does not cling to the wall. It had been growing on a small bit of trellis and mostly trailing all over the ground, I put in a large pergola and propped it up whereupon it reorganised itself and grew over the pergola in a most satisfactory manner, not clinging but happy to drape over it.

I have to assume it is a variety of parthenocissus but which one? They all seem to have suckers, according to any information I can find.

I think I need to cut it back when the leaves fall - it has been randomly hacked back a couple of times and has regrown with enthusiasm so I doubt I could do it any harm, but I would like to leave a bit of framework to encourage it over the top of the pergola next year rather than having to climb up and organise it.

Any suggestions what/what variety it might be? I will get a pic shortly, its lashing rain at the moment 😀

Comments

Advertisement