Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,597 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He was clearly beaten on points, but quite a lot of the fight had very close competitive action. AJ has to take comfort here, as has his team. They need to see the positives, in order to believe that they can be more deadly and competitive in a rematch

AJ was stumbled/wobbled at times, but never in huge danger at all, and even the last round was as much tiredness as it was any real hurt. He smiled/stuck ot the tongue as well He was lucid, but just gassing.

Some rounds were quite close and could have swung either way. I think 8-4 is about right, maybe 9-3....but again, many the rounds were competitive, even if Usyk was doing enough to earn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I re-watched it on sky & looks like the round lasted the correct time, the issues seems to have been Danz clock was out,

Id be more worried about his antics on the way to the ring than in it, Chatting & hugging people in the audience, to me that screams someone trying to look relaxed but isn't , He should have laser focused & intense but maybe that wouldn't have played into his new wise man gimmic,

Iv heard Spencer Fearon mention AJ hurt his right arm a few weeks out ,that Hearn said it to him in private,

The whole rematch thing stinks but is normal these days, Fury said the same was in place for his first Wilder fight but said he didn't care because he would smash him twice & then he gets to make the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭glen123

I watched Usyk's press conference in Ukraine. When early bell was mentioned to him, he just laughed and said everything was absolutely fine. When asked if he could have KO AJ, he said smth along the lines of "people, why are you being so bloodthirsty...he has a family, relatives...just think about it". Question about money was answered in a similar manner as in money will be gone sooner or later and when we die it's our actions or lack of that will stand. As positive as both Klitchkos used to come across, this guy seems to be on another level mentally and personality wise. When asked about celebrations, he replied yeah, but first I am going to train:) He is a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Interesting you say that.

For me AJ's next move should be to get Abel Sanchez to train him.

I think it will be a combination of money and what suits team AJ. It won't be just money. So even if Saudi and Ukraine could generate more money, this will be weighed up vs London, and if it's all fairly close/similar, then you can bet Eddie and team AJ will push for a home fight.

Usyk, as you say will fight anywhere, and I don't see much objection from him, because he will likely earn a deal more than he did last week. So it's a win-win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Any word on how the PPV did?

I know Joshua v Ruiz 2 did 1.4million buys in the UK. Granted that was a week before Christmas with a big AJ redemption narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Yea so it’s not as though something unforeseen happened or a momentary lapse like the Ruiz fight could have been explained away. He was well beaten whatever calculation you arrive at. I think 8-4 possibly 7-5. But even in rounds where Joshua did better Usyk likely got as many digs in. 5th I think was clearly Joshua. Few others. But ok he wasn’t hammered in many rounds either. Three biggest 1, 11&12 and he had a wobbly moment in 3. That’s some gap. To come back and beat Usyk would take some doin now.

all that said there are loads of things he can do better starting with ditching the chess silliness, then the ring walk and then surrendering centre ring so meekly. Then he can work on counter punching, combos, inside fighting and clinching/spoiling with authority. All the things that led me to pick him for this one. He tried to fight Usyk at his own game… bad idea. So a Joshua if he could gain an inch in some or most of those ways then it’s a different fight and no guarantees Usyk can be that good again as much as I really like him

Compubox had Usyk out landing AJ 7-5 in rounds. They were 5/5 in landed punches after 10 rds. Rds 11 and 12 saw Usyk go 7-5.

Post edited by walshb on

I'd love to hear if it was AJ or his team that ultimately decided on the game plan the other night,

People saying it was AJ & it because he though to much & waned to prove he was the better boxer, Could it be simply that AJ is now "afraid of taking shots & doesn't trust his chin, He can't say that can he so the whole i want do prove people wring is his cover,

I honestly think Ruiz changed him & he is now gun shy, we have seen it before in fighters particularly MMA guys , See Woodley fighting the Youtube brat , Woodley has all the tools he needs but simple afraid to just let his hands go ,

Right. So judges gave Usyk rounds where he got out landed? Suppose heavier shots count for more.

Possibly Joshua. They didn’t do much or hadn’t much they were allowed to do. I think his head is up his hole. Looking up at replays between rounds. He didn’t show much focus at all. I dunno.. like when you’re the world champ unified you shouldn’t have that type of complex where you’re worried about proving people wrong. Jus go and do it

• Advertisement

Usyk was landing non jabs (power shots) more than AJ throughout..

Plus, compubox is only a guide really. Plenty more to consider.

Anyway, the fight wasn’t a beat down by any stretch.

Sorry I misinterpreted you I thought you were using compubox to suggest Usyk won fewer rounds than I’d gauged.

No beat down but comprehensive victory

I see a lot of boxing people are backing Wilder for the KO, is there something we don't know going on with Fury

Usyk's footwork was exceptional. It was like watching a beefy Lomachenko.

I have heard nothing....maybe they are thinking like me, that Wilder is a man possessed this time....the loss seems to have all consumed him

Maybe fight 3 will see him try harder and with more intensity and fire. Fury needs to be on serious alert that a shot doesn't get through real flush

Fury's best tactic would be to smother Wilder all night. Don't give him any breather or any room to extend and shoot his best shots...Wilder is not good on the inside and Fury is far safer close inside than at mid range

Ridiculous to think it’s been nearly 2 years since either of these has fought!

Hard to call a fight like that. I think Fury has all the tools to beat him but Wilder has that 1 shot power and maybe lots of motivation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

4/1 odds is very good considering the power he has and if he lands one right it could be game over

The internet isn’t for everyone

I remember thinking as soon as I heard there was a rematch clause that it would be improbable that Wilder could be as bad again or that Fury could be as good. Time out of the ring does neither any favours but I feel it could impact on Fury more considering his tactics are all about focus and pressure. But Wilder needs to show up with real ambition, he’ll have to figure out a way of keeping Fury off him to create the space to get the big swing off. I don’t think he has much chance if Fury is really up for it again, he needs a dip in Fury. That betting isn’t all that surprising because the KO is almost certainly his only route to success.

A Wilder points win, albeit not hugely likely, shouldn’t be a surprise. What if we get similar to fight 1, where several rds very difficult to score, or both them playing it too cautious. Both can be so awkward, that their clash of styles leads to very difficult to score rounds..

I really think we’ll see an intensely fought fight where one of them gets stopped, but you never know.

Both men could be less the fighters they were almost two years ago.

What if Fury tries playing it cute and slick? This could lead to the points route. And it could be very close

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement

Massive surprise if it goes to points, or massive surprise if it’s close should it go to points?

I don’t think so. What if both are just not great. Awkward, messy and clashing! Leading to very difficult to score rds…

Anyway, I reckon we probably get a stoppage, so no points needed.

Wilder has one points decision in his career against stiverne, if he beats Fury on points with out multiple knock downs I'll eat my hat 😁

😊

But do you think that both could clash in a way where rounds are very difficult to score? I have a feeling that both men will not look as good as in previous fights.

It really is a difficult fight to call, as well as a difficult fight to predict how it plays out

I'd still expect Fury to comfortably out point him, he is a much more accomplished boxer.

Only way this goes to points is if wilder scores knockdowns and or a robbery. This man was behind both Washington and Spilka. Fury will be taking round after round

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Not sure how focused Fury is for this.

I have a feeling Wilder is going to connect with a big right and lights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Is there any legal way to order the Fury right without being a sky customer?..

virgin don’t seem to offer BT sport BO

Not sure I get you. Only way it goes to points, or only way Wilder could win on points? I think you mean the latter..

I think it doesn’t go to points, but I don’t think it would be a surprise that 1, it goes to points, and 2, that it could be very close on points..

There is that chance that Fury is just not near as effective as he was in the first couple fights, as well as Wilder being more effective and up for it. Or both clashing messily and awkwardly and giving us an uneventful stinker..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,325 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Fans will be able to watch all the build-up, undercard and the main card of Fury v Wilder: The Trilogy exclusively live on BT Sport Box Office.

The PPV main card will start at midnight on BT Sport Box Office, costing just £24.95 in the UK (€29.99 in Ireland) and can be watched through BT TV or online via the web or the BT Sport Box Office App, Virgin TV or Sky:

• BT TV, BT Sport on Sky or Sky customers who have previously watched BT Sport Box Office can pay using their remote control. 
    • Viewers wanting to watch the fight online should visit www.bt.com/sportboxoffice and follow instructions to subscribe and watch on the web or on the BT Sport Box Office App, and customers can watch on the big screen using Google Chromecast and Apple Airplay. 
    • Sky customers new to BT Sport Box Office can register and pay online at www.bt.com/sportboxoffice

· Virgin Media TV customers in the UK: customers with a TiVo and/or V6 set-top-box should visit the On-Demand section and choose Live Events; customers with a Virgin TV360 set-top-box should visit the Live Events section 

· Customers in the Republic of Ireland can purchase BT Sport Box Office via Sky at www.sky.com/boxoffice/btsport

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Not sure I’ll bother booking this. Can’t do these crazy early morning fights..

Advertisement