Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The games between IK, Kilmaley, Clonlara and the Mills are all too close to call, any could beat the others, you'd imagine that Clonlara and the Mills will be too physical for Kilmaley though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Actually, getting back to the Conlon Cleary matchup in that game, that's a battle I can't wait to see, after seeing Conlon at full forward the last day it's hard to imagine him as anything else except for full forward and a target man.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

From Clare GAA; At a meeting of the Clare County Board officers it was unanimously agreed that Brian Lohan be offered a new three year term as Senior Hurling manager.

This recommendation has to be approved by a full meeting of Clare County Board. Brian Lohan is aware of this recommendation.

great news once he accepts it anyway. Not sure why they need to tell us that he has been informed of this recommendation.

now need to really concentrate on our underage structures and coaching in the schools

I have to say I'm conflicted about Lohan getting 3 years, he has played the county board very well so far, even his appointment was done by his management of the local media. He's 2 years in, 2 very difficult seasons I know, but last year we played 4 games and outside of a good performance against Wexford we were poor all year, a 2 and 2 record, this year we had a 2 and 2 record again and with the help of some proper referring we could have done a bit better. 50% record in the first 2 years, 1 All Ireland quarter final, isn't great but I think Lohan deserves another year at the helm, 3 years however is too long, I've said it a few times now that this is the last roll of the dice with this group of players, having a manager for 5 years I don't know if that's the right decision, they'll definitely have to freshen up the backroom team at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Agree, 5 years is a long time to give a manager unless they are winning silverware. Davy stayed too long at both clare and wexford and he had even won something at both.

A new manager refreshes a panel, finds a couple new players and makes everyone fight for places as well as bring some new ideas.

I think a new 2 year contract would have been an okay middle ground considering the last 2 have been impacted by covid but the county board are backed into a corner.

• Advertisement

Lohan has the county board backed into a corner to a certain extent, he made it clear through the media that he'd take 3 years or nothing, anything else would mean that a new manager would be needed and would have resulted in a massive backlash which the county board couldn't allow happen which means he has 5 years to do something so lets all get behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

3 years means building a team and building a structure. That needs to be done to match Limerick's back room. The bigger picture is also to start developing talent now for the next manager, who I hope isn't Davy or a Davy Clone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

To give you credit you have been consistent about letting of the past go but no outsider will take the job given what is known about county board setup and structures within Clare. To say were poor this year is not really accurate, a poor decision against Tipp cost us and were a puck of a ball away from an All Ireland semi(we would have beaten Dublin) and possibly would have beaten Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Howitzer the 5th

This is on the money. Clare with every possible disadvantage patently put in their way by a county board, led by a dinosaur puppet master with a clownish uncle Tom as its chairperson, and hell bent on causing its own county's downfall rose to the challenge for what proved a solid if unspectacular season.

By and large Clare played well in all of the championship games in which they were involved. A chronic refereeing decision scuppered them against Tipperary, even if they may have fallen short on the the day in any case. The Waterford win while obviously good, mixed drastically bad shooting and misses with excellent organisation, hard work and support play, similar to the win over Wexford. The Cork performance was solid but they were flagging from several weeks of action at that point and it was to their credit that they had a last gasp effort to see off Cork at all.

It is arguable that Clare would have seen off Cork with a further week's rest and some positional tweaking, and it is likely that they would have overcome what is now a very ordinary Kilkenny side had it come to pass in the all-Ireland semi-final.

While it would be daft to say they could beat Limerick, I believe Lohan and selectors would have organised Clare in such a way as to perform at a much higher level and with some tactical acumen against them unlike Cork who were abysmal on Sunday and totally bottled it 1 to 15 and on the line.

Shy and all as he is, Lohan talks a good game and wants to massively push Clare on next year, even if its hard to see how Clare can achieve what he wants or how they, or anyone for that matter, could finish anywhere near Limerick, but the re-appointment for Lohan for three years is ultimately positive based on the past 18 - 24 months of organisation and feednaand what the public reaction has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

GROUP 1

Kilmurry ibrickane look like the early championship favorits after another fine win over cratloe tonight , keelan sexton looks like he is starting to find his A game again with a super performance this evening, kilmurry are now top and unbeaten with one game to go in the group of death

Group 2

3-2 for for full forward tom mcdonald as doora/barefield exposed a poor kilmihil full back line to earn their first win in the championship since returning to the senior ranks, with the amount of underage success in the rosleven area in the last number of years you would think they are about to turn a cornor again and really challenge at senior level , cian mcdonnagh , tom hannon and eoin thyne very impressive

Group 3

Clondegad have risen from the dead in the football championship with a one point win over eire og , the gad looked like they were intermeadite bound for the last 18 months but a huge win today has them back in the championship hunt , they will face their parish rivals lissycasey in 2 weeks time to see who advances to the 1/4 finals

doonbeg are in must win territory against eire og if they are to advance ,they could even be facing a relegation battle if results go against them esleware, the townies supperior scoring should be enough for them to atleast reach a play off ,

Intermediate :

Kildysart still look like the strongest side in the 2nd tier ,corofin and o'currys look like their main challengers at the moment , wolfe tones should be in the hunt also they recorded a win over the men from the west after a few weeks of covid disruption in the camp

Results: Senior Football Champ:

Lissycasey: 2 - 10 Doonbeg: 0 - 10

Clondegad: 0 - 14 Eire Og; 1 - 10

KIB: 2 - 13 Cratloe: 2 - 07

Doora-Barefield: 5 - 15 Kilmihil: 0 - 14

Intermediate Football:

WolfeTones: 0 - 12 Naomh Eoin: 0 - 10

Kildysart: 2 - 18 Liscannor: 0 - 04

Kilfenora: 2 - 09 Michael Cusacks: 1 - 12

Corofin: 4 - 16 Coolmeen: 1 - 07

O'Curry's: 3 - 17 Banner: 1 - 11

• Advertisement

Conlon was missing but on the day, despite the storming come from Clonlara back Kilmaley was the better team.

Now to the business end of the championship....

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

If the Bridge were taken out of it, think it would be a toss up between any of the other 7 left

lets hope someone can knock em out..

Yeah, very even, you'd nearly have Inagh as the best performers to date but injuries are going to be the deciding factor for a lot of teams, Ballyea were missing Kelly and Browne today who are a massive loss for any team.

The Bridge are going to be well challenged by Eire Og.

Yeah, the Bridge are going to be up against it here, they haven't been tested yet and they've had 4 weeks off so will be a bit cold, saying that Eire Og having being setting the world on fire either so probably the best draw for the Bridge, Cratloe or Kilmaley would give them a far harder battle in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

Am I right in saying that Ballygunner play the Clare Champions in the Munster Club. That is an awful draw and you wouldn't give much hope to whoever is representing Clare. The time gap to the game is the only thing that could catch Ballygunner.

The Clare Championship is an awful drawn out affair its being going on 2 months and the quarter finals won't be played until a fortnight's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

My money would be on Corofin to win intermediate. If avoid Kildysart will probably meet in final. O'Currys could be darkhorses but probably lack strength in depth.

I don't know, they tend to check the first round of the Munster Club and work their way backwards from there, Waterford have 12 senior clubs, have 4 groups of 3 to go to quarter finals, they run their whole championship off in about 7 weeks whereas we've football to worry about.

Moving weekend in the football championship , huge win for st breckans over a much fancied miltown side , lissycasey also enjoying a big victory over a up and coming doorabarefield side, A well workrd mark mccarthy goal was enough for KIB to hold off kilmihil , while eire og did enough to see off a poor ennistymon effort in the park yesterday , cooraclare will play intermeadite football next year after a drubbing from clondegad , the ballynacally/ballyea outfit still need to beat kilrush to remain senior in two weeks time

ClareSFC semi final draw

KIB v Lissycasey

St Breckans v Eire Og

Wolfe tones held off a late surge from Eire ogs 2nd team to avoid the drop into Junior A level , they must beat liscannor now in the remaining playoff to consolidate intermeadite status next year , wins for O'Currys , Corofin , Kildysart and kilfenora has set up the last 4 in the 2nd teir

IFC semi final draw

O’Currys v Corofin

Kilfenora v Kildysart

A hard fought win against clooney/quinn has Balllyvaughan back in the junior A Final , the 2020 finalists will face a north clare derby in the final once again against Ennistymons 2nd team , the north clare magpies defeated KIB'S 2nd side

IFC semi final draw

O’Currys v Corofin

Kilfenora v Kildysart

probably not the draw kildysart would like , somthing tells me they would have prefered to meet corofin in the semi final , O'Currys will give plenty of it to corofin first though that could be closer then most people think , i wouldnt rule out the men from the west yet

• Advertisement

What has happened to Cooraclare though they have been poor the last 2/3 years.? They should look at Milltown and Breckans for inspiration. Both went down to inter and came back stonger. Breckans having a couple goods seasons now.

Post edited by Gael85 on

while they are missing a few , they have been blowen out of all proportions in terms of expetancy , alot of the players they brought through including jack morrissey just did not take to senior level at all , there has been alot of miss management within the club too , alot of in house fighting and that sort of stuff , there arguement is they were in a tough group , this i dont buy , only one of the 3 teams that came out of that group won at the weekend and that was kilmurry , who on another day could have been beaten yesterday , miltown and ennistymon were terrible over the weekend and both comfortably beat cooraclare , the fact is they are just not good enough at the moment and its no fluke to see them go down i wouldnt be putting huge amounts of money on them coming stright back up either

breckans are the oppsite to cooraclare , like cooraclare have had good underage success but in the last few years have really brought on some of the tallent they have ,jack sheedy , joe mcgann and aidan davidson were excellent today for them , they have been well managed too by donie garrihey and they seem like a club that has everyone pulling in the one direction , the same cannot be said for cooraclare

Did the off the field incident in Lisdoon years ago cause divisions in Cooraclare camp? I see the injured party transferred up to Laois. Jack Morrissey has been unlucky with the injuries. He was on crutches when saw him during the summer.

i am not 100% sure what that was but their has been loads of off field stuff in the last few years has been increidable here goes

granted they have lost 8 or 9 of the team from the 2015 county final but

1 several lads have been hounded and being asked to quit playing hurling and concentrate on football only which resulted in at least two players leaving the club to get away from abuse and play hurling only with clu.bs that treated them better then their own .

2 , players constantly breated in local pubs at any time of the year for poor performances mainly by former players that are now club delagets

3 , their last deacent performance in 2017 they reached the 1/4 final lost by a goal to miltown in doonbeg in what was a belter of a game , they had galway all ireland winner john donnellan as manager , fair enough he was a bit crazy on the line but he was getting the best out of the players , recived what only could be described as a 'death threat ' the following day from one of the players fathers of the players on the team, not to set foot in the parish ever again

4 john donnellan steped down as cooraclare manager and went on to have deacent success with westmeath for a couple of years after as coach , for cooraclare everything went backwards , 2018 were tounced by cratloe by 21 points , 2019 ended up in the relegation playoff beating corofin to avoid the drop , 2021 ..relegated !

5 , jim gavins father came from cree , senan connells father came from cooraclare village , both won county championships with cooraclare before going up to dublin , their sons left some leagcy on the field ather they retired , they never forgot their fathers roots , but plenty in the parrish have and things have been nasty back there in the last few years , i also feel sorry for joe garry he is a top man and a top clare football man tonight is a hard night for him too

I was referring to lad pushed off the bridge in Lisdoon.

I've great time for Cooraclare but I know a couple lads who wouldn't be shy given their opinion. Prob bit old school with their views.

Mick Lillie was training Cooraclare this year. Was Paddy Keane managing?

sorry now i have ya , no the players are sticky they are good lads stick together , to say killian roache wasnt happy at the time is an under statement but amazingly against breckans cooraclare had a free on their own 21 pearse took the free killian was the first man to make a run for him , pearse kicked the ball off his own man and jack sheedy had the ball in the back of the net the goal went all over the country , killian and pearse probably have more arguements over this then the spa incident

mick lillis was manager paddy keane was trainer , paddy pain they called him...... he ran them to death over the year. but they just lost too many players and are not at it any more

i have great time for them my self thats why i am angry they let this happen , the players are great lads its the stuff the older lads are at is disgracefull you probbably know who most of them are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

The Bridge are in big trouble at halftime, 9 down. Great to see Shane O'Donnell back flying it. Very impressed with EO's midfielder Darren O'Brien, big lad, good athlete. Davy's tactical set up awful, all the space is in the Bridge backline.

are Shanahan and Malone out injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

They are both playing, Malone isn't his usual self though. Paidi Fitz came off the bench too. EO much the better side.

• Advertisement

so a changing of the guard, I have a feeling Ennis will win it out now

Advertisement