Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

It would not have made any odds because the ball last touched the Liverpool player who made a genuine effort to play the ball so Stirling was then onside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just rewatched the 2nd City goal and Gomez has a real issues when. It comes to the offside traps,.

Watch the massive step he takes up just as KDB is kicking the ball towards Foden,

Makes no sense se as he's looking across the line and can also clearly see the rest of our defence are already deeper than him before he even makes the stwp forward, He can also see the balls being aimed over his head,

Gives Foden a 10 yard head start so that when Joe catches him its already on the box

Against Milan he was dropping today he was pushing up, Hes all over the shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Jesus lads,enjoy the ride ....not every player is world class, especially young players.. seriously,we are one of the best teams in world football,and all most of ye seem to do is look for faults...by the time some of ye realize what we have it will be over..enjoy the ride.

Supporters,yano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

It was very un fab like to let Jesus past him en route to Foden's goal

What eveyone think of Jones today?

Just today not on him as a player

I thought he was very poor today

but possibly because im used to watching Gini in these big games and he's a master of keeping the midfeild thight & compact & ticking over, Its very different Unit with Jones/Elliott instead of Gini

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

He was'nt great but i thought Hendo was worse. Hendo offered no protection to Milner 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Oh ok I didn't see a good replay were it shows across the line.

I think because the ball hits Matip makes Sterling obsolete but definitely offside if the shot goes through.

Midfield just struggled today and that can happen against a team like City as they have some of the best ball playing midfielders in the world!! Even Fabinho was struggling and you don't see that very often...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

What I can't understand is when we have two quality left backs is why one can't fill in RB for a match.

We play a midfield player there..surely a player who is a pro in that position would be a better choice

Played most of my crap AUL career there and I only use my left leg so I don't fall over.

I guess supporters prefer their team to win, and are disappointed when they don’t, especially from a winning position with 10 mins to go against one of their title rivals. Non-supporters don’t care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Thought he had a good second half, not outstanding, but more than adequate. Best selection really, who else do we pick, an unfit Nabi? Only other option was starting Gomez and Milner in midfield, so a bit of a hobsons choice.

Jones wasn't our biggest problem, Henderson was terrible for the first 45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I think Robertson played the last Scottish game at RB and Tierney at LB to keep both on the pitch, it failed miserably and was changed at half time, with Robertson going back to LB. I think Milner would have been fine today but Henderson seemed to play the whole game helping neither the defence or attack. He just was bypassed in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Hendo was poor today no doubt.

City are a fine team..just baffled why you would you would keep offering them a weak point. Both goals came from that area.

In fairness, second half was why we love this sport. First half we looked green.

Glad with the draw but IMHO if the RB situation was managed better it could have been 3 points. Probably stolen them but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Funny game first half was shocking but second half was a lot more promising.

I still think we got away with it somewhat with some Salah magic bailing us out for the two goals (I know Mane scored the first but it was salah who created it ps how good was the second goal). Seriously pay him whatever he wants he's truly world class.

Thought henderson was shocking today and Fab was way off the pace. Mane was rubbish first half but came into the second half but he's really not the player he was despite what some have said on here. Jones didn't do much but he's young so not overly worried same with Jota. RB is a major issue we need a Tamiskas type back up for trent (no easy feat). As i said funny game i'm not sure how i actually feel about it glad we got the point after that first half.

pps agree with the VVD comments thought he looked well off maybe it was because it was City but he seemed very nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Im not worried about vvd or gomez. They're noth still in rehab and not even 1 full year after their injuries. Just because they're good enough to play doesn't mean they've regained all their sharpness. Especially against one of the best teams in PL history.

Midfield seems to have a big flaw. Especially when individuals are playing ok but the unit isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Worried about our lack of clean sheets but not too worried about VVD or Gomez either tbh

Bit worried about our reliance of the main two for goals still though.

Still in it after seven games but Chelsea and City have had much tougher fixtures

Last week draw feels like a massive eet down right now w and not pushing on and beating Chelse is the same

Today felt we lack the self belief we had in the title winning season, Its like we hoped we'd veat City & Chelsea this season but in the title season we knew we would, we knew we where the best team,

A forward defo scores Fabs chance, took far to long

I don't know how quicker Fabinho could have been aside from hitting it first time.

It was just brilliant defending from Rodri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,495 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He only had to lift it off the ground when he fired on goal, or take it with his left first time when he fell, or simply take the touch and shoot faster. He done the one thing that guaranteed the defender would have a go at clearing it.

Should have sided footed it with his left, not take a touch.

So frustrating that pro footballers won't take an hour out of their day to learn to kick it with their left. It literally takes an hour to learn.

Naa could have been quicker, he was so sure he had loads of time he was being very precise when he didn't need to be,

City aren't all that, 10 competitive games this season and only won 5, last defeat came on Tuesday. I literally can't remember the last time Liverpool lost a game of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

It was a tough chance for him to be fair, came at him fast. A forward takes the same touch but then feints to shoot which sits Rodri down then shift it a bit to make an angle for the far corner. And they do all that in a second or two. Fell to the wrong fella. Saying that with a bit of luck it could have still gone under Rodri or through his legs as he slid in. Fine margins. Same at the other end with a comfortable save for Alisson turned into a goal by the deflection.

Thems the breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,123 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fab should have scored.

Don't care what position you play, centre forward or centre half, you have to put those chances away. Talking about professional players here, not Sunday morning lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Mad to think if Fabinho was just a tad quicker close to the goal-line over the past week we could have 4 points extra on board. He was a bit slow for Brentfords goal when the defender snuck in ahead of him. Both games could've been 3-2 wins in another universe. Thems the breaks.

That would have been an extremely difficulty finish even for a left footer trying to side foot a ball 1st time that has been whipped in at pace and you are not expecting it either. Any player in that position first instinct would be to take the touch the like Fab did!

That Rhodri clearance at the end gives me bad vibes. I'm remembering Stones' almost impossible clearance (by what, 10mm?) off the line from 3 seasons ago at the Etihad which resulted in a 2-1 for them which ultimately gave them the title by a point. The clearance today seemed equally unlikely and has given them a point and denied us all three. I hope it doesn't prove as telling at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

When you watch in real time, Fab hit that just about as quick as he could unless he tried to hit it first time. It's not like he dawdled on the ball before he hit it. I'd tend to put it down to a fantastic block by Rodri rather than terrible finishing by Fab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fabulous game of football, and delighted the lads were able to raise the energy so decisively in the second half.

Magnificent stuff from Salah for both goals, and Mane really does look increasingly sharp, absolutely beautiful run and finish from him.

I'm giving absolutely no blame to Fabinho at all for that missed chance, I feel like those commenting negatively have been watching it in slow motion too much or something. It's coming flying down through a field of bodies only a few yards away, and he'd have been anticipating a touch off a head, so does really well to sort his feet out to trap it with his first touch. It bounces forward a little off his first touch, so takes just a split second to reset to shoot. It's just one of those times you have to credit the defender for an absolutely magnificent tackle imo.

Phil Foden... such a good player. I'm still baffled why they threw so much money at Graelish, when Foden is better at just about everything in that wing-forward position. Both Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne are better at the deep lying role then too imo... like, depth is nice and all, but 100m for depth is insane, especially when you need a forward.

I also really liked how respectful the players and managers were of each other after too. It's nice to see two teams really go at it, put it all on the line, and then show a bit of appreciation for each other after the final whistle.

Pep's always amusing when he's going nuts, but I do love his passion, and in fairness he was right today, had to be a second yellow.

Brentford are playing with fire, we should have had 18 goals against them, West Ham should have had 12, but Brentford drew against us, and beat West Ham.

Would really have loved to have beaten Brentford, we can talk them up, but dam they concede so many chances.

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

This is the correct approach to it imo. I don’t think he could have hit it first time and hit the target. He could have hit it high into the net but everything was so quick. It was a great block though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Just wondering where the vibes sit in terms of the second yellow for Milner in the match?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great second half. Nice finish by Mané, ridiculous again by Salah.

I'm real time, Fab was as quick as he could be, in slow mo- some think he should have done better, nope. Outstsnding block, give the credit where it is deserved.

Hendo could eaaily have been booked for the foul just before Milner should have received a second yellow. Not to give any yellow to either was a bit baffling. Although I'm glad he didn't, just to see Pep lose it at Anfield again, always great entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mad respect for Pep but he is absolutely unhinged when something doesn't go his way. That was better than the "twice twice" raving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

9 games 9 goals and 3 assists for Salah this season.

This post reminds me of a quote from the player, Hector Enrique, who gave the ball to Maradona in his own half before he ran on to score the greatest goal ever against England, “with a pass like that, how could he miss”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

If Fabinho went with his left first time it would probably have ended up in the stand and we'd all be saying he should have taken a touch. He did the right thing, a superb block denied him.

Watching the game yesterday highlighted that we will miss Gini big time, especially in the big matches. Jones not at that level just yet.

Liverpool up 6 points on the 7 corresponding fixtures from last season. We are on an upward curve again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Matip is just so good.

Is it not 7

1 extra v Chelsea

1 extra v City

2 extra v Leeds

3. extra v Burnley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's a great rivalry between city and Liverpool. Managers screaming at each other,heavy tackles, players in each other faces. Then when the whistle blows it just hugs and pure respect.

There is no need for bitterness between the managers, they know they are the best, raised the English game to another level. They push each other and their teams to be better. It's worth saying though the city and Liverpool of a few seasons back would blow both these sides away.

Disappointed with the draw, but you'd watch this game every weekend if you could, word class football with 2 styles of play the managers refuse to compromise on.

Salah! Just give that man what he wants. We could of a ballon d'Or player this season at this rate. I used to think mane was a better player or there wasn't much between them but Salah is gone to another level since last season. He walked through the whole city defense to score that goal.

Wasn't the free-kick given for Hendo's trip just before Milner's tackle?

In any event, wasn't the 2-1 at the Etihad a few seasons ago the same game that Kompany should've seen red for a blatant last-man tackle when the game was still scoreless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Mo Salah is gonna fire this team to the title.

He wants that new contract. Pay him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Conversely, I've no respect for Pep. To me, he inherits great squads who already dominate their leagues, spends a bundle of cash to fix whatever few problems and keeps his spending going till he gets some sort of result. Then he tinkers to the point of insanity while the critics fawn all over him. If he gets a result, he's a genius, if he doesn't, its everyone else's fault.

But I can't blame him for being a little upset yesterday if his allegations that someone was showering the city bench in spit turn out to be true. Despicable, especially in a pandemic where the virus is carried by water vapours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We don't know, didn't seem like a free kick from Henderson. If it was more obvious I would agree with you, but I think most people would see the foul committed by Milner and that Henderson did not commit a foul.

I see this result as one point gained. If the referee was competent we lose this match. We got lucky. In the match you mention we were unlucky twice, with the possible red and then the clearance. This match we only had one "unlucky" moments, the clearance. But that doesn't happen if we don't get lucky earlier.

I am confusing myself here...bottom line we will have lots of what-ifs if we don't win the title. What if we don't concede against Brentford? If we win the title by a point, then City can moan about referees costing them the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It really all balances out over time. People go on about Stones' miraculous clearance off the line against us in what proved to be a title decider back in 2018/19, but in the same match Kompany should've been sent off for a shocking tackle on Salah but only a yellow was given. What's more is that Salah would've been through on goal so the ref got that one wrong in two aspects.

If we win the title by a point because Milner wasn't sent off yesterday, well, that's just football balancing itself out again.

• Advertisement

One thing that's annoying me

The last two league games we let leads slip in the last 10 minutes and i feel in both Klopp was slow to react,

Brentford the issues was they targeted Trent in the air and when we went up we should have brought in Gomez or Konate to play inside Trent to give him help in the air & to give us a better chance at getting the second ball

Yesterday again the right side was the probably why not go 3 CB's at the end to cut out the threat when the Rb gets done he has help inside him , ,

Many times past season's we seen Klopp bring on a 3rd CB when we are leading near the end , Last two games he kind of just got caught up watching it, Imagine Chelsea in that position they should straight away shore up the backline,

Advertisement