Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Yea what were Ahane thinking playing dan Morrissey in midfield and the full back line in big trouble I myself would love to have seen dan marking gillane . Doons chances are slipping more injuries out there I'm hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

Is Barry Murphy gone for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭C4000

Another dreaded cruciate injury....out till next summer it looks like.

Thats the 4 th Limerick player with the same injury in 2 yrs,I wonder why??

Ya.....very unlucky for the lads. Seems to be increasing number of cruciate injuries in hurling generally, the likes of Tadgh De Burca, John Conlon, Pauric Mahony, Brendan Maher etc have all fallen victim in the last couple of years.....I'd say its a tough one psychologically as well with the danger of reoccurrence.

• Advertisement

Four games being streamed live this weekend, great service esp for those of us not living locally, though 10 euro a pop is pricey enough, a season pass option would have been welcome.

Friday: South Liberties v Garryspillane

Looks like South Liberties are very likely to claim the one available quarter final spot given the scoring difference situation. Garryspillane would need a 10 point win to qualify, though any win will see them avoid a relegation play off. The addition of Anthony Nash looks a good one for South Liberties, both on and off the field.

Saturday: Ballybrown v Na Piarsaigh

Could be another cracker if Ballybrown can reproduce their form from last weekend when they were dead unlucky to lose to Kilmallock. They need a win now though and that will be difficult against the champions.

Sunday: Ahane v Doon

Very hard to see anything other than a comprehensive Doon win here given their respective results against Patrickswell. Worth watching to get another look at Adam English who I reckon will be starting for Limerick come next year's championship.

Sunday: Adare v Kildimo Pallaskenery

Straight shoot out here for the one quarter final spot. Adare will be favourites but Kildimo will provide a serious challenge in their first year at senior. Could be a very close match.

I tell ye boys liberties aren't bad they destroyed BlackRock without the Ryan's and a few others I think both Ryan's are county material, they won't win it but could get to a semi.

You'd imagine nap will beat ballybrown but ballybrown are coming but a bit early for them yet, doon to beat Ahane despite b Murphy's loss the one I can't call ( cos I Dunno much about either) is the adare v kildimo/pallaskenry I'll give the nod to adare on tradition only.

Why isnt there a season ticket I'm around this weekend and would have gone to all 4 if times suited

Another very entertaining match last night in what has been a great championship so far.

One point win for Garryspillane sees them avoid relegation but south Liberties progress to a quarter final. Could have went either way as both teams had their good spells. A couple of missed frees in the last quarter probably cost Liberties.

David O'Neill and Barry Cooney both scored well for Liberties, and Barry Nash can play anywhere on a hurling field to equally good effect.

The two goals from Eoin Sheehan were decisive in the end and very good performances for garryspillane from Dylan Oshea, the wing back Godfrey(?) and the legendary James Ryan, still one of the cleverest players around.

The obvious question after this weekend's matches is whether there is a team out there that can stop Na Piarsaigh, in Limerick or elsewhere. They absorbed the loss of four county players and still had way too much for Ballybrown, who are a good side. David Dempsey is some player at club level repeating his haul of 2-4 from last year's county final. They are powerful all over the field.

In fairness to Ahane, they came out swinging against Doon and looked to have their neighbours in serious trouble with Niall Moran slinging points over from all angles. Their backs were vastly improved from last week. Evan Oleary played well and moving Dan Morrissey to a deeper defensive role transformed the structure of the team. Doon took a long time to get going but eventually did and no surprise to see Pat Ryan making the decisive contribution with 1-3 in the closing stages. Adam English's radar was slightly off at times, but he still contributed plenty and is some man to catch a puck out.

Adare and Kildimo/Pallaskenry was predictibly tight. Jack O Keefe and Liam Griffin stood out for KP. Declan Hannon's goal was a massive score and decided the match, a really sweet strike. The Adare subs contributed well and they had enough to get over the line.

I think if nap had a full hand they'd be one of my favourites for the all Ireland not sure if they can missing p Casey and others I'm not sure if mike Casey is back who else is missing? plus Dowling is gone when you think of it one all Ireland is scant reward for such a serious side.

Back locally Patrickswell look the best equipped to challenge them plus of course Doon but Murphy's injury an awful blow to them

Qf draw is liberties v kilmallock and adare v Patrickswell, liberties v kilmallock isn't a guaranteed kilmallock win though you'd fancy them I can't see adare troubling Patrickswell hopefully I'm wrong

• Advertisement

Yea, looks like Na Piarsaigh vs Patrickswell semi final is on the cards once again. Mike Casey is still out along with Adrian Breen and Jerome Boylan and a couple of others....and no Dowling as you mention....think they had 7 potential starters out at the weekend.

You'd like to think Doon can challenge NAP also but the memory of last year's county final is hard to shake. How do you reverse the form of a 27 point defeat a year later.......

Is it guaranteed a nap v well semi if the well get through? Didn't know that. Can't believe nap are missing that many and will most be back?

They avoid repeat matches where possible so will keep Patrickswell and doon apart as they've already played....which would leave them against Nap assuming they see off Adare, that is.

Ye not sure on the status of the injuries, I think the caseys might be the only longer term ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭raindodger

great to see the bulk of the management team reinstated .Had heard rumours that kiely was going for one more year only, could he have taken two years just to take pressure of three in a row Quest

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭boetstark

A little off topic but I wish individuals, households and local authority would take down all the Limerick GAA paraphernalia.

It's coming across as a little needy and attention seeking at this stage. There is more than one sport in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Local authority swap them out for Munster ones every winter as for houses supporting a sport feel free to put up whatever you want in your house and let your neighbours worry about their own.

A familiar look to the county semi finals with the same four teams qualifying for the 5th year in a row, albeit after a fairly dramatic pair of quarter finals.

Kilmallock eventually got the better of South Liberties after extra time, running up a big score the process. Liberties kept scoring goals at crucial stages, with Barry Nash scoring 2 and setting up 2 more but Kilmallock kept responding. Brian Nash and Shane O' Neill also played well for Liberties but I felt they lost too many of their own puckouts and failed to capitalise on a couple of crucial opportunities in the last five minutes of normal time. Ultimately Kilmallocks forwards had too many guns, Graeme Mulcahy ended up with 1-4, Oisin O Reilly with 7 from play and Micheal Houlihan with 13 points, 6 from play. It was some display of scoring.

The second match was more stop start, with a lot of frees awarded where perhaps advantage could have been allowed. Adare were so close to making a breakthrough, with Ronan Connolly, John Fitzgibbon, Declan Hannon and Charlie Mccarthy starring, but were caught late after a frankly heroic contribution from Jason Gillane who landed 4 consecutive points from play in the dying stages to turn the result on its head. Seanie O Brien and Nigel Foley had defended stoutly for Patrickswell. They will need to improve considerably when they face up to NaPiarsaigh next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Would expect a repeat of last year's Semi results too, Kilmallock's defence looked very porous against South Liberties, can see Doon taking them. Patrickswell dont seem to be in form this season considering the players they have at their disposal, NaP have cruised through so far, even with all the injuries so would expect them to account for P'well in the other semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Incredible performance from mulcahy

Mulcahy shot the lights out, his best performance for a couple of years.

Kilmallock were deserving winners in the end, they had improved steadily throughout the competition and pulled away impressively in the closing stages of this match, particularly after the Patrickswell red card.

If club form counts for anything, surely Oisin O Reilly will be in line for a recall to the Limerick panel for 2022. I'd have him as player of the championship even though his display in the final didn't quite live up to his man of the match contributions in the previous two matches. The midfield pairing of Hanley and Costello were outstanding for Kilmallock in both the semi final and final.

Overall it was a very enjoyable county championship. While the same four teams ended up in the semi finals for the 5th year in a row, there are definitely new challengers emerging from the pack with Ballybrown, Kildimo pallaskenry, Adare and South Liberties all going close to making a breakthrough at different stages.

In terms of players that stood out during the competition, I'd mention Micheal Houlihan, Diarmuid Byrnes, Tom O Brien, Brian Murray, Tom Morrissey, James Ryan, Adam English, Colin Coughlan, David Dempsey, Chris Thomas and Barry Nash.

• Advertisement

Looks like Limerick's schedule for next year's Munster championship will be:

16/17 April: Cork v Limerick (Pairc ui Chaoimh)

23/24 April: Limerick v Waterford (Gaelic Grounds)

7/8 May: Clare v Limerick (Cusack Park)

14/15: May: Limerick v Tipperary (Gaelic Grounds)

2 Munster and 3 Leinster teams will be finished for the year before the end of May.

Really looking forward to the away trips this year. Still never been to the new PuC and Ennis should be hopping for what is often the make or break round of the group.

2 nice and fairly hassle free places to visit outside of hurling too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get this info and when will it be confirmed?

Any idea about league fixtures?

This is based on a couple of articles in the Examiner over the last couple of weeks....

The plan seems to be to play two rounds on consecutive weekends starting on 17th April. There will be a break for all teams in the third week and then 3 more weekends of fixtures (limerick down for a bye in the last week).

As far as I know the master fixture list is due to be finalised shortly so we should get confirmation soon hopefully.

League fixtures are yet to be made public, but the Division one groups have been redrawn and Limerick will be in with Galway, Cork, Wexford, Clare and Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭xredmanlfcx

Examiner have GAA Master fixture list 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Apologies for the most random of posts but the young DJ on the toy show is the head of a mini Gearoid Hegarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

12 All Stars for Limerick today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

Gillane should have got one aswell and Nicky Quaid must be disappointed but then you would have to leave out Tony Kelly for Gillane which would be harsh.

• Advertisement

Advertisement