Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

How does the vaccine lower the chance of being infected....honest question ...if three people are stuck in a lift, one has covid and is shedding , one is fully vaccinated and one non vaccinated. Surely both people will contract covid ...the severity of covid and recovery time, I propose could be different in both people...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What do you mean; surely both will contract covid?

Why does it necessarily follow that either of them would contract covid?

It's not that successful as to have 100% success rates in transmission.

It's just a hypothetical situation

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Both, neither or either could end up contracting COVID (if the already infected person was vaccinated, the amount they shed would also likely be less, all other things being equal), the vaccinated person is more likely to avoid infection of the two due to the presence of SARS-COV2 antibodies.

Remember that SARS-COV2 is the virus, COVID-19 is the disease.

I agree with most of your statement...My understanding of this is ....the vaccine doesn't prevent infection but your potential to fight the infection should be higher if you develop antibodies as your say

• Advertisement

This is general, but there is nothing that can stop the physical act of a virus being passed to someone if the virus is around, but the vaccines enable the immune system to kill and eliminate the virus before infection occurs in that individual:

Understanding How Vaccines Work | CDC

Maybe antigen testing should go hand and hand with the proposed booster program to gauge the vaccine response in the vaccinated population

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

It boils my blood because "her personal choice" to be unvaccinated effects us all. She knows she is positive for covid and is mixing with the public, not isolating and knowingly spreading a deadly infectious disease. That's what boils my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It might be infectious but deadly it is not to almost everyone. The good news is that having had COVID that mortal danger has passed and you can reset your blood pressure.

Vaccination does not stop you transmitting the virus, those are the facts.

There are plenty of elderly people who the vaccine doesnt protect who are in shops and restaurants, their immune systems are weak so no matter how many boosters they get they will still catch covid and pass it on. You are in as much danger from catching covid from them as you are from an unvaccinated person.

Children are superspreaders too and they are unmasked in restaurants and wandering around shops, masks are nonsense at this point, we just need someone with the courage to make a decision on them, we will be waiting.!!!!!!

• Advertisement

It doesn't stop, it does significantly reduce the chances of transmission so that less people get infected and if they're vaxxed, they pass on to less people, which keeps the R number below 1 and stop the virus spreading out of control, this is the case for all vaxxed groups all the way to the elderly vs. non-vaxxed. Children will also transmit less to vaccinated adults then unvaccinated adults.

18 months in, 10 months since vaccines and people still spouting absolute sh*te about transmission vaxxed vs. unvaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Sorry but I’ve absolutely wet myself laughing reading this! Zero covid my arse!!!!

New Zealand drops Covid zero goal after Delta outbreak

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1004/1250545-new-zealand-covid/

There's already multiple controlled studies occurring looking into this, there's not really much Ireland can add to this by using antigen testing (most studies will use the PCR test to get more accurate numbers), that's not saying that antigen testing couldn't be used for other things, but I suspect their time has passed as contract tracing and testing starts to wind down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Probably a level of schadenfreude that our own homegrown Zero COVID zealots have come to the end of the road. There's also a level of I told you so for some people. These things make some people laugh. Most of all there's a sense of relief at the confirmation that such a strongly defended singular approach ultimately does not deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Another liberal zealot made look dumb is always a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I guess one might think New Zealand looks silly if one believes that changing your mind or changing your plans is a sign of failure.

By virtually all metrics, New Zealand handled the pandemic hundreds of times better than anyone in Europe or the US. Having to alter their approach now doesn't diminish that fact and doesn't mean the approach was always the wrong one.

One needs to attribute a level of that success to the comfort of a very isolated location and sparse population. As a model it is not suitable for most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, absolutely. And I've said that throughout; the approach was right for NZ but would never have worked here.

Nevertheless, it was still a bold decision for a politician to have made. Admitting that it's no longer viable doesn't make it a failed policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hopefully thats the end of Zero Covid strategy arguments, it might have worked in early days on an island like NZ, but if we want any form of normal life back, Vaccinations are the only way forward.

Changing plans makes you the opposite of a zealot and dumb.

The initial US response and Brazil response would be more in line with "dumb" and being zealots. Even now there's lots of stupid americans dying because their idiot in chief told them to ignore the virus and downplayed the vaccines effect by stoking even dumber conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

It was never going to work unless they shut the country down with no one entering and no one leaving . Basically an island prison

No, "owning the libtards" is all that matters. 700,000 Americans dead, more than in the spanish flu in a world with vastly superior healthcare and for 10- months now, availability of an effective vaccine. At the end of the day, all the matters is a Pyrrhic victory over the libs

In times of the Spanish flu etc life expectancy would have been about sixty years.

We are talking now about the deaths of people in their late eighties and nineties.

I have relatives in the States, they arent fussed about the high numbers of deaths of the very elderly, its dog eat dog out there and the economy trumps everything.

Trump wasnt annilated at the polls and if vaccines had arrived a bit earlier he would still be President.

The Americans will do exactly the same again should another pandemic come, I would stop fretting about them if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

The population of America that time was around 90 million, lot of news networks fail to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I don't think anyone is fretting about what the yanks are doing tbh, let them at it. I think most normal people are just hopeful that that level of thinking and empathy (or lack of) some states have doesn't permeate over here too much.

There is no welfare safety net in the States,no such thing as Local Authorities buying luxury apartments in nice areas for people who dont work.

Everyone who can afford it pays for private health insurance,thats the way the system works.

There were very little tears shed for the very elderly who died and I doubt if any national day of mourning or extra bank holidays are being talked about, Most US citizens get very little annual leave and many work into their eighties. Its everyone for themselves out there,its an enormous country and per capita was their death rate much worse than ours.

Its time for us to get on with things now, we have thousands waiting for elective procedures and thousands more with undiagnosed cancer, its ludicrous to be suggesting we should give health care staff extra leave or more money for doing their job in a pandemic,by all means give them a one for all voucher for a 100euros, at least that money will be spent locally so the shop owners who had their doors closed for months can make a few bob.

Its not lack of empathy thats making people question why we shut the country for so long, its asking ourselves what it was all about, closing construction when we havent enough houses, closing driver testing centres to the general public and now we have huge waiting lists,closing schools to even special needs children and closing respite services for adults with special needs and sending them home to drive elderly parents to despair, the fallout will go on and on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone in this thread last week predicted we would get below 1000 this week. 892 today, I didn't think we would for some months, fair play we are in the right direction.

Advertisement