Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,425 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The trade off for the experience being a billion time worse is they now have same day (during working hours anyway, and possibly with a cutoff) transfers out to other ROI banks finally. Starting to get a bit like the experience I had using RBS in GB 15 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Sam W

I have non Irish IBAN transfers in PTSB, AIB, KBC. I don’t see any issue with any of the banks.

AIB has a different setup for non-Irish IBANs (which doesn’t really make sense), but ultimately you should be able to set it up. On the plus side, AIB allows a maximum of 10k euro to be transferred every 24 hours (as opposed to 5k euro in PTSB & KBC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Just to clarify - unless it has changed since I left them, the problems with AIB are that:

1) you cannot save non-Irish IBANs in your list of beneficiaries

2) you can not issue SEPA transfers to non-Irish IBANs from the mobile App which would be a pain for most people

3) the UI to issue transfers from the website does work, but it takes much longer to issue the transfer than with any other banks I have used. First you log-into the website using 2FA with your phone, then you setup the transfer details BUT your beneficiary can't be saved in your favourites list for next time (as opposed to Irish IBANs), then you do another layer of 2FA which requires inputing codes back and forth from between the website and their code generation and also requires to have your debit card handy to generate the codes.

4) to be double-checked, but as far as I remember standing orders (as opposed to credit transfers) can only established for Irish IBANs

KBC doesn't treat IBANs differently regardless of being Irish or not and doesn't have any of the above restrictions/complications. i.e. no issue with foreign standing orders and it is literally 10 times faster issue a credit transfer to an non-Irish IBAN as it works on the mobile only with face/fingerprint authentication, can save beneficiaries, and doesn't require all the code confirmation steps which AIB does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Slightly connected,

I've been with KBC since the very start, couldn't fault them in fairness.

This morning however, recieved a peculiar letter to do with what's called a periodic review, required under the criminal justice act obliging kbc to hold sufficient information on identification documents on its customers.

I've never had such a request for information, they are looking for occupation, am I self employed, source of funds. No mention of ID which is strange also.

I'm not sure if this is normal, I recall my credit union asking for updated photo ID but never KBC.

The only income lodged is salary, had a house insurance claim well over a year ago, sold a few bits of equipment less than 2k over a month ago.

Just wondered is this a common request, what would have triggered this, last time I checked I'm not a master criminal 🙄 I'm more surprised given KBC winding down.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got one of those earlier this year. I haven't had any big transactions or deposits that would have triggered it so I assume it is something they do every so often. I filled it out and sent them a picture of it and never heard anything else about it so I assume it's grand. I'll let you know if CAB kick down my door and raid the place. 😂

• Advertisement

LOL, thanks for response, I just found it odd, especially no ID requested, the only thing i can think of is a 2k lodgement about a month ago, sold some items etc, but 2k would hardily have Cab calling to my humble cottage 😁

I've actually nothing else with KBC, just one current account and it's balance hardily anything to excite anyone (Honestly 😉)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It does not have to be a big transaction, it can be as little as five Euro. There are may different sets of rules that can trigger this. A large transaction, a sequence of small transactions, a particular type of transaction, the recipient status etc... And CAB are not the first step. The first thing you will discover is that your accounts will have been frozen at that bank, next all banks.

Thank you, I guess my surprise stems from the questions being asked, at a minimum I would have expected an updated photo ID, ppsn number if I'm making sense, I've had the account for years, certainly more than 8 years and never had a request like this.

The 3 questions

Occupation

Are you self emoyed, yes/no

Source of funds

That's it, nothing else. They do mention the legislation such as criminal justice act 2010 in the intro, I presume this relates to money laundering, but I can assure you my account almost boring in terms of activity.

Salary, PUP during pandemic a recent lodgement of 2k from sale of some items and a home insurance claim cheque lodgement t. Almost 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The law does not specifically set out the criteria that financial institutions must use in order to know their customers, if it did it would be too easy to get around it. It just requires that they know their customers and that they report certain suspicions. How they go about it is up to them. If someone in the bank knows you really well they don’t even need to ask for documents unless it is an internal policy.

There is no way to predict who will get checked and who will not, nor when it will happen. Sometimes checks may not have anything to do with you directly - you receive a sum of money from someone they are looking at, you are a known associate of someone they are looking at, you interacted with a member of staff or a branch they are looking at etc.

Thanks Jim2007 appreciate the feedback 😊, I've sent it off now, interesting, how it all works though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There has been a further update (with bad news for non-performing mortgage loan portfolio

Important update from KBC Bank Ireland - KBC

On the 30th August KBC Bank Ireland announced it will sell substantially all of its non-performing mortgage loan portfolio and a small number of non-mortgage non-performing loans in a transaction financed by funds managed by CarVal Investors. Once this is completed, Pepper Finance Corporation (Ireland) DAC will be managing the loans. Pepper is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland. Customers will continue to have the same legal and regulatory protections (for example under the Consumer Protection Code (CPC) and the Code of Conduct on Mortgage Arrears (CCMA)) after the sale. For more information on please click here.

More info is here: Important Information - Non performing loans - KBC

The process of withdrawal gathering pace it seems 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Unless you want to move to BOI it might be wise to kick off the move now.

Also having less customers to hand over might impact the € amount that BOI will pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

these are the non performing loans which is people in default. so The performing loan book will take alot longer to figure out especially as they are still doing business. so heres hoping it will take a longggggg time before the exit.

Hope so too but I get a sense the deal with BOI almost done. I've set up a new current account elsewhere, will maintain my KBC account as long as possible. I'd hoped (wishful thinking perhaps) they might retain an online presence here given most of their day to day banking online

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭PropBuyer101

yeah and especially as they are now making a profit here it was announced recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hopefully, I'm staying with them as long as possible as I don't see the point in switching early as it would just mean I'm losing out on their service.

Anyone know what switching banks for mortgages is like with an exemption? I'd hate to be stuck with BoI due to having a 4.5x mortgage. I'd at least like the option of switching to AIB/PTSB but KBC/Ulster were the only ones to offer more than 3.5x.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

CBOI rules don't apply to a straight switch, only when there's new funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi all

Fixed rate with kbc up in jan. do you think they’ll offer me whatever the fixed rate at that time will be or will they be gone from the market at that stage and have transferred the mortgage over and I’ll roll onto whatever boi has?

thanks in advance

A bump on this if that’s ok. Appreciate any advice or insights. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Kind of difficult to answer as your terms and conditions are unique to you in a sense.

At a guess whatever your exact terms are with KBC transfer across ,there will be absolutely no changes, however at the same time your fixed term will also transfer and end accordingly in January if you've moved by then, obviously if you have a separate fixed term to commence after January or an agreed variable rate, these agreements also transfer, if not, presumably you will move to variable rate and would then have to negotiate with new bank on their terms.

I'm only guessing but I would think KBC may at some stage stop any new arrangements if they've not done so already.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Sam W

I don’t think even local KBC staff themselves know what will happen to them, leaving alone what will happen to their customers. You can of course shop around and see if there’s any good deals and prepare yourself for all the eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I'd call them and find out what the early redemption penalty is. With only 4 months remaining, it may well be €0 or negligible, in which case it may well be worth fixing now at KBC's more competitive rates.

KBCs redemption penalty requests could take a week or two to process and are mailed out and won't be given out over the phone, so the sooner you are armed with that information, the more time you have to look around.

I think Ulster are stopping any new business from October, so given KBC made their announcement about leaving a couple of months after Ulster, you may find you only have until the end of the year to make any changes you want to.

If you call them and they say that there is no need to make any changes to your mortgage and you will be offered a new fixed rate in January, it may be worth getting that in writing so they'd have to honour it if they later changed their minds.

Post edited by Rock Steady Edy on

Thanks so much for responding, and to others. Will take on board advice and contact KBC. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

They don't even seem to even be able to answer what will happen to the 0.2% mortgage discount they offer for having a current account with KBC when your mortgage is moved to BOI which is a bit worrying!

Just curious if I'm alone in not receiving recent bank statements from KBC, I normally get it through e statements on the app, last one uploaded was 1st April, was due one on 1st October, nothing yet, just thought I'd check see if anyone else not receiving statements before calling KBC, Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I have a KBC bank account.

Anyone know what date D-day is?

Need to find a new bank.

None has been announced and spoke with them last week, the team no wiser either, business as normal seemingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pretty sure that will disappear - Not sure if BOI have an obligation to continue with it, as they are buying the mortgage book, not the current accounts.

I've my mortgage, current & savings acc with KBC. Waiting to hear for a D-day before I start moving, so I can continue to get the rate discount and the savings account rate (although its not as good as it used to be).

Advertisement