Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Yes of course, sure “you can see it with your own eyes” 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I understand that simply looking at diesel will tell you all you need to know.

The leading proponents of wind energy in this country and European were and are the Green`s. That policy has now left us in the situation that despite all the money spent on wind farms here we are looking at the very real possibility of blackouts this Winter because they will not be able to make up the shortfall from a gas burning station being off line. And not even off line un-expectedly but for maintenance.

Round and round, looking doesn’t tell you diddly squat

The Greens did not become part of the government till 2020, all the decision had been made prior on closures and investment in wind. Talk to FG mate not the Greens, in 5 years time the Greens will be the ones to talk about if we have an energy crisis

FG led the push for Facebook etc into ireland, sighed over huge plots of land with no requirements on them to supply electricity or to generate. Just a tip on where to start looking

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Retailers are dreading pedestrianisation and reduction of cars into the centre. This is replicated all over the country. I have given you the example but like all brainwashed Greens they don't like the truth and move on to next hippy dippy notion.

I suggest you read the article. First it mentions nothing about cyclist which you say is the issue and the shop owners seems fairly upbeat about it all

“I’m happy to see it, because it’s giving a focal point to the city centre, but there has to be a further plan to get the footfall into the city,” Whelan said.

He then goes on to talk about 100k people coming in the city

So if you can provide teh link about cyclist and not pedestrianisation that would be excellent, after all you seen it with your own eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks for the link.

There is indeed a lot of concern among business organisations regarding pedestrianisation and traffic management in towns and cities.

However blaming the Green Party is just not logical.

Look at who controls the councils, who are the local authority CEOs, they are the real decision makers.

I accept that you disagree with GP policies but you can't hang the blame on them for all the ills of the country.

(voluntary disclosure - I'm not a GP member).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

I do have a clue about electric cars. I said that the batteries in electric cars are damaging to the environment.

Electric cars also have impacts arising from the manufacturing of the vehicle. Since battery packs are heavy, manufacturers work to lighten the rest of the vehicle. As a result, electric car components contain many lightweight materials that require a lot of energy to produce and process, such as aluminium and carbon fiber reinforced polymers. Electric motors and batteries add to the energy of electric-car manufacture. There are two kinds of motors used by electric cars: permanent magnet motors (like the one found in the Tesla Model 3, and induction motors (like the one found on the Tesla Model S. Induction motors do not use magnets, but permanent magnet motors do. The magnets found in permanent magnet motors used in electric vehicles contain rare earth metals which are used to increase the power output of these motors. The mining and processing of metals such as lithium, copper and nickel requires much energy and it can release toxic compounds. In developing countries with weak legislation and/or enforcement thereof, mineral exploitation can increase risks further. As such, the local population may be exposed to toxic substances through air and groundwater contamination.

For a start, I have no idea who you are so the chances of us being mates is highly unlikely.

As somebody said earlier this green energy wind policy is a European initiative going back years. The big player in Europe politically are the German`s and the Greens have been waving that dogs tail for a long time now.

Whether it`s correct or not if the lights go out people will blame the Greens. They are already blaming them for the latest carbon tax increases. Not unfairly imo, but either way, with how this present green energy programme is going, if things do not improve quickly then not just the Greens but a lot of others will end up getting it in the neck politically. And they may not have to wait for the next scheduled general election for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

This has more to do with people shopping online. Its effecting everywhere even places where you can park outside the shops door.

• Advertisement

So in other words

I have no idea what happened in the past, happening now or going to happen in the future, I don’t care who’s fault it is but I’m going to blame the Greens.

I think a number of people on this thread fall into this bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I know next to nothing about Limerick and the type of footfall you find in the city centre but it does highlight a particular problem. The likes of Keegan in Dublin waging war on cars are making it far more difficult for the city centre to attract more people into it. This sounds like the same question here. The solution has to include ways to bring people, either in their cars or via public transport to the city centre. This seems to be joined-up thinking falls down for councils, if it ever existed in the first place. There is nothing wrong with more pedestrianization just as long pedestrians can get to those locations in the first place. Squeezing out cars makes it more likely that out of town centres with parking would be a more attractive option, especially if we're depending on our very poor public transport to address it. 

Serious question to those who might know. If I were to go green completely, what would it cost me to set up and what would my electric consumption increase by.

Family of 4 living in a 3 bed semi d. Back of house facing SW. oil fired central heating, multi fuel stove which ironically is burning trees that were cut down to make room for wind farm (no back boiler). 4 showers a day, Mon-Fri cereal for breakfast, cooked most weekends Cooked dinners each evening and dishwasher once a day. Nobody in house all week from 8:30 till 4:30 1.9 diesel car and 1.6 diesel van. Both work fairly local so no big mileage on a normal week. Kids get bus to school.

Realistically, what would changing all of the above cost?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

People will do that anyway at the ballot box. The Greens do very dogmatically aim at a very specific set of policies, which can quite easily be adopted by the two bigger Coalition partners as their own. That makes them very vulnerable at elections. The increase in energy prices, a higher carbon tax and the possible of winter blackouts puts them very much at risk as these are grudges the public will nurse and punish them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I've driven or my partner has driven us into town a few times recently, I don't get all this war on cars thing, for me to drive in from D5 to anywhere in the city centre of Dublin is still absolutely fine. Maybe it would be a nightmare at rush hour but at weekends or off peak you can easily drive and park in the centre. Owen Keegan has done f-all apart from putting in a few much needed cycle lanes, car is still king in this city and country.

All of which was going to happen if the Greens went into government or not. I haven't seen a single policy in this thread that is "destroying this country" as the title claims.

The one thing which you didn't mention and is the most important. Insulation. Before you start doing anything you need to make sure the insulation is correct.

How many attic's in Ireland have a light throwing of attic insulation? when they could easily install above the correct amount and reduce heat loss drastically. Checking around doors/windows etc for gaps/heat loss etc etc

Small changes without even touching heating etc will reduce your carbon footprint but also save you money on heating. Like is the oil boiler a condensor boiler? has it been serviced recently? have you a heating system that you can turn on/off remotely?

The batteries are not. You said the lifetime of a battery is 8-10 years which is bulls**t. The batteries do degrade but they can be reused. Plus the remaining sections of the battery which are still good are used for Solar PV. Hence why any crashed electric car in Ireland is snapped up before it hits the garage. So no you don't have a clue about electric cars.

No the car manufacturers don't, the car are not made lighter. VW are the first company to make a new platform for electric cars and are selling to Ford etc. They have spent billions and guess what they used? steel because weight is not a concern. The rest of the car is the same as a standard car, hence why loads of manufacturers are using the same combustion cars and just slotting in electric motors and batteries if possible.

THe standard line is about Cobalt but you missed that. You will find all of the companies are using methods. The issues you raise could be something of concern but that would be for the laptop battery and phone battery etc

So as I said you don't really have a clue about electric cars

Boiler changed last year to a condenser boiler. Attic is sheeted out and has double the insulation required. TRVs on all rads. Heating will go onto timer for the mornings once the weather gets a bit colder but usually turn it on manually if it’s needed in the evenings. Double glazed windows. Front door and patio door ok too. Air vents in all rooms.

It’s not a draughty house at all.

Im just trying to work out if it’s cost effective to change everything- How much of a loan would we need and what would be the monthly payments vs what extra would we be paying out in carbon taxes, higher electricity costs, etc

• Advertisement

If you only changed the boiler and have upgraded the insulation etc I don;'t see why you need to change the heating.

Electricity it depends on bills etc, send to any of the companies and they can plan it out and depends on roof size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

i read the title as green policies, not the Green Party. All of the major parties are pursuing these ‘green’ policies, which seem to be aimed at taxing the poorer segments of society, and driving the economy into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP specifically referred to the green party itself, so there's probably a lot of chopping and changing what is meant by the word.

When was the last time the west of Ireland was forested anyway? The burren used to be a forest but that was centuries ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,716 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

"Experts broadly agree that electric vehicles create a lower carbon footprint over the course of their lifetime than do cars and trucks that use traditional, internal combustion engines."

So you have a clue, but the experts don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

So in other words,similar to a few on this thread you ignore what has been said because it does not suit your narrative.

I`m well aware of what happened in the past. I have posted on the past brainfart conservation measure on diesel engines, on burning wood pellets and now burning timber in any form being a no no, on fighting a mini war on turf cutting where now we are importing turf, on farming practice where conservation policy on grazing mountain uplands and the Burren had to be reversed because they were doing more harm than good. On the first two it was blindingly obvious, on farming practice those that believed they knew better ignored what people who had been farming those areas for generations told them would happen pursuing those policies and where shown to be correct. I have also posted on where this reliance on wind energy seems likely to leave us this Winter with just one gas burning plant closed for maintenance.

I have also poster the solar panel area according to the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland required to supply the annual needs of an average Irish household which are at a high degree of variance with what two poster believe would achieve that, but in fairness to one he/she said his figure would not fully cover Summer usage let alone the Winter, whereas the other claimed the ability to export energy during Summer.

I have also posted on countries literally taking the piss using the measures we are taking to financially benefit their economies while we are wrecking ours. China in particular who are more than happy to sell us all the expensive gear required to pursue this policy while building ever more coal burning plants at home to gain financially in a post Covid world, but to gain politically under their Belt and Road initiative by building more coal burning plants worldwide.

You on the other hand come across as the typical zealot. Fingers in ears shouting follow me this time I have it right and if ye do not then I will hammer ye with carbon taxes until ye do. You do not require a particularly good memory to see what a similar idea on water charges led to.

On the Burren due to lack of soil and wind you could not grow a bonsai tree never mind a forest. :)

"Experts broadly agree" is hardly a ringing endorsement.

• Advertisement

It's easier to make accusation of "zealot" etc than listen to them....next I will be from South County Dublin 😂

You posted about putting a child behind a car and see how much smoke comes out, ignoring the fact it has nothing to do with what you can see coming out and all to do with the invisible particles. After that it's just been fun, sure look at the bottom of the tank :-)

Best to leave you to it, you have gone down the familiar route of "look at China"

Quick hint, check the CO2 per person in China and compare it to Ireland, I wil give you the answer, Irish CO2 per person is higher.

Advertisement