Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding a US 110V appliances use in Ireland

Options
  • 01-10-2021 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

So my question is this . .

I purchased a small waffle maker from the US recently whilst on a business trip. I thought I could just change the plug on it to suit Irish sockets, not thinking about the voltage difference. Instead of doing that I bought a US-UK plug adapter and used this a couple of times. It seemed to work okay but I am wondering if the power into the device could be making it heat hotter than the 110V sockets in the US would?

The unit seems to burn the food very quickly and that is what I am trying to find out. If that is the case, is there another option to enable me to use the device safely within my kitchen and have the voltage dropped down to the required 110V that the unit was made to handle?

TIA

Best Answer

I wouldn't suggest continuing using it. A waffle maker is just a simple resistive load i.e. an element, but it will run MUCH hotter on 230V instead of 120V and, apart from burning your waffles, could be a potential fire hazard.

Waffle makers are available in Ireland or very easily online.

To get 120V you'd need a pretty serious transformer, as a heating appliance like that draws a lot of power.

I can't see how it would be worth the hassle. You'd be far better off just buying a 230V waffle maker.

Answers

Advertisement