Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Palma, Canary Islands - Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Main lava vent blocked. Magma now building pressure. Looks like it will emerge in the center hill part just down from blocked vent?

EDIT: can see lava emerging in various spots there now. Looks like whole top of that hill is going to go any moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Just back from Lanzarote and to my disappointment we didn't get stranded there for a few more weeks!

Can anyone explain the difference between the Icelandic volcano that shut down aviation in 2010 and this one?

Was it just bigger or blowing longer or is it down to wind direction/volcano location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,441 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

3.8mag earlier this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Jeff2

This feed/ stream is good.

Watch "última hora en directo Actualización de situación de la erupción volcánica en la isla de La Palma" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/o11-sFvdHCc

• Advertisement

Lava starting to flow again left and center. Center looks to be going the usual path overall. It's the left one that needs to be watched due to different direction.

Edit big flow to the right as well.

Spectacular Viewing I must say with new lava flows down the Center again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Spectacular. Pity smoke/ash blocking some of the view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

That fountain is fairly spectacular. How high is it going

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Meteorology is very much tied in with the fluid dynamics which create volcanic eruptions and plate tectonics so while it is appropriate to draw comparisons between the Earth and Venus geologically, this extends on to meteorology when comparing atmospheres between planets such as differential rotation between Earth and Jupiter-

The major point is that where any rotating celestial object with a rotating viscous material, whether as zonal flows in the atmosphere or zonal flows as lava beneath the fractured crust, the underlying mechanism displays differential rotation across latitudes. Looking for clues on the surface crust to extrapolate the underlying dynamics incorporates the spherical deviation of the planet, plate tectonics and volcanic activity.

For instance, the idea of convection cells does not work for hotspots. The idea is that the crust moves across hotspots doesn't work as convection cells are supposed to move faster than the crust whereas geological features on the surface are explained as the crust moving over stationary hotspots.

Going back to the meteorologist Alfred Wegener, the idea that meteorologists would play a role in evolutionary geology sounds silly, however, although the dynamics of the atmosphere above the surface show large scale traits and are well understood, researchers have yet to apply the same principles to the fluid beneath the surface hence-

“Scientists still do not appear to understand sufficiently that all earth sciences must contribute evidence toward unveiling the state of our planet in earlier times, and that the truth of the matter can only be reached by combing all this evidence. ... It is only by combing the information furnished by all the earth sciences that we can hope to determine 'truth' here, that is to say, to find the picture that sets out all the known facts in the best arrangement and that therefore has the highest degree of probability. Further, we have to be prepared always for the possibility that each new discovery, no matter what science furnishes it, may modify the conclusions we draw.”

― Alfred Wegener, The Origin of Continents and Oceans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Are they expecting something big to happen over the next few days ?

Tremors are increasing in strength and the people monitoring the eruption have pulled back further. The YouTuber bush craft bear seems less upbeat than usual on his last video, talking about mass evacuations the likes .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I have been enjoying the live streams and even seen some very close up action " Cat strolling in front of camera " lava flowing in background. Very soothing watching on the big screen and awaiting the bang to wake me up early in the morning. Hope everybody is staying safe and wish them all the luck in the future.

Can you guys arguing about 4 minutes get a room.

The tit for tat is getting tedious.

No tit for tat here, but then again, not everyone is going to see how zonal flow in meteorology is also a component of evolutionary geology.

The low viscosity of lava flowing out of the volcano should alert observers to the possibility that zonal flow across latitudes displaces the stationary Earth notion of convection cells and the nuances which use differential rotation to explain geological features like symmetrical crustal generation off the Mid Atlantic Ridge and the 26 mile spherical deviation.

Your reaction is as meaningless as his reaction yet the information is left for those who can spot a crossover between geology and meteorology just as the meteorologist Wegener once wisely noted. For the slow learner, meteorologists can help geologists open up a more productive way to research shifting geological features and volcanic eruptions.

But you fail to answer the burning questions and which we are all wanting to know ( no pun intended)

Is it going to explode and will the Canaries be left short a holiday destination? 🤣

Will everywhere along the South west coast be deluged by a tsunami? Will being nearly 600 ft asl allow be look down on the deluge?

Will I be able to get a coffee when its all over?

😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Why are you bringing up a discussion that finished 3 days ago?

Let's now go back and forward tit for tat on this question, wasting more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,205 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Viscosity is controlled by the temperature and composition of the magma. The low viscosity of this magma is either a sign of lower silica levels or a higher temperature, not your geological meteorology pseudoscience. (which I have reread several times and can still not make heads nor tails of)

Back to square one so far today. Quite explosive, lava being sent down the familiar channels along the mountain face.

The authorities will be happy with that.

I wasn't addressing my point to you. Why get involved 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

He's right in fairness.

If you cant understand it you need to do your own research

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Because I was part of that discussion at the time.

I fully appreciate what you are saying and this applies to the other two reactions, needless to say I am content to leave you with your concerns without further need to reply nor require that anyone read what I have to say.

The crossover from meteorology to geology is also a crossover from planetary dynamics to geology, climate, biology or any combination between each other. I understand that few can make the transition to crossover topics where differential rotation applies to both meteorology and the behaviour of the atmosphere with geology and the behaviour of the fluid interior in contact with the surface crust. Sometimes practitioners of disciplines are very protective of their turf, hence find it difficult to apply lessons from one discipline to another.

" Since we cannot be universal and know all that is to be known of everything, we ought to know a little about everything. For it is far better to know something about everything than to know all about one thing. This universality is the best. If we can have both, still better; but if we must choose, we ought to choose the former. And the world feels this and does so; for the world is often a good judge" Pascal

In this case, zonal flow in the atmosphere has similarities with differential rotation across latitudes observed in all rotating compositions in a fluid or plasma state, including the Sun. It is bound to be attractive for meteorologists with more expansive perspectives because they can extrapolate the underlying rotational mechanism with an uneven rotational gradient from equator to poles while the surface crust has an even gradient. The difference between rotating crust and rotating fluid is the differential which makes the crust so geologically active.

It is not a good start when geologists can't identify the maximum rotational velocity of the Earth as demonstrated by the intentional falsehood in the main Wikipedia article-

It is time to stop barking at me as there are genuine issues to discuss and I have no interest in grandstanding, making a name for myself or all other trivial pursuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,205 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Orion402, it might be time to look up some synonyms for the word 'rotation'...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That lava plume is looking angry as hell today

Has the whole top collapsed?

Just reported a magnitude 4 earthquake in the vicinity (Depth 12km). Is that the strongest yet?

EDIT: revised to 3.7.

• Advertisement

No, intact (it's actually rebuilt quite a bit in last 12 hours).

I'm not seeing much lava discharge at the moment. Pressure may be building elsewhere as a result as magma seeks exit.

Advertisement