Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Palma, Canary Islands - Volcano Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

I am going to leave the comments where they stand so that despite the thuggish or mob behaviour, there are decent people in the forum who can discern a crossover between meteorological and geological disciplines in respect to zonal flow. The unique 'S' shape of the Mid Atlantic Ridge, splitting at the Equator, is the most pronounced signature of differential rotation across latitudes along with the spherical deviation across latitudes.

Maybe you and the contributor calling himself Gaoth Laidir can get together and figure out why the values assigned by Wikipedia for the Equatorial Rotational velocities are incorrect if he sticks his neck out and determines he learned 1 degree of rotation per 4 minutes or 15 degrees per hour at school.

The circumference is given in Wiki as 40,075 km or 24,901 miles.

The Equatorial rotation velocity is given in Wiki as 1,674.4 km/hr or 1040.4 mph.

If you multiply 1,674.4 km/hr by 24 hours, the resulting value is a nonsensical 40,185.6 km circumference of the Earth.

Fifteen degrees of geographical separation at the Equator is actually 1,669.8 km or 1037.5 miles consistent with the 24 hour and Lat/Long systems built around an Equatorial circumference of 24,075 km and daily rotation at a rate of 15 degrees per hour. The timekeeping component is formatted on a specific set of references that is presently unappreciated by those following the intentional error reproduced by Wikipedia and many other websites.

Once again, if people choose to insult themselves, then that is fine by me, there is enough information there to occupy those who wish to consider zonal flows in an inter-disciplinary way and these are the people who will move the topic forward.

For everyone else, enjoy the volcanic spectacle as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

La Palma earthquake activity. This tells a story of what may be yet to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Rebuilding cone at rapid pace now and putting on a show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Doesn’t seem to be as active as this time last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

When you look at pictures and videos like this, is it any wonder ancient societies personified these events as the wrath of deities? Something like this happening out of nowhere to a mountain which had, for what would at the time have constituted multiple human lifetimes, been just an ordinary mountain, would be utterly, entirely, terrifyingly inexplicable by any rational mechanism in an era without a knowledge of the Earth's make-up or plate tectonics.

I'm trying to put myself in the head-space of witnessing something like this happening to my homeland entirely without precedent and with absolutely no knowledge of any of the science behind it. I can't even imagine how utterly horrifying that would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,206 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's actually rather interesting reading some biblical texts of Yahweh with the above in mind:

Exodus 19:18 Mount Sinai was covered with smoke, because the LORD descended on it in fire. The smoke billowed up from it like smoke from a furnace, and the whole mountain trembled violently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Three big explosions from around 23:36, third one is amazing and features an exploding lava bomb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Has it stopped altogether? No lava sprays on any of the cams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Rougies

Here we go again by diminishing the intelligence of ancient societies because of some fiction created recently that they were all afraid of storms, floods, eruptions, earthquakes and so on. We live in an era of people afraid of weather for goodness sake (climate change modelling) while ancient societies lived closer to nature and with natural events than we ever do.

The Victorians thought the Australian natives were subhuman because they didn't build mansions like Western society but inhabitants there are learning about wildfires and perhaps why the Australian people in older times could afford to move when necessary as practical people would. Societies grew up around eruptions because the chance was worth it given the fertile soil surrounding a volcano.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I love a good nerd fight

No, it is time to set aside fearful ancient societies, creating deities to explain natural events, although they were woven into cultural narratives of people living close to volcanoes, storms, earthquakes and so on. I don't fear weather like the 'climate change modellers' do which leaves genuine researchers free to discover events as they happen even if they are destructive for local populations. I am sorry researchers are railroaded into a false debate which distracts from genuine talent, productivity and creativity.

The whole 'science versus religion' is exceptionally stale and inherited mostly from the American variant of the cultural prejudice doctrine of Darwin/Wallace. The front page headlines of the New York Times shows Osborn using the phony Piltdown man to separate humanity into white complexion, black complexion, Chinese and Australian 'races' -

In short, things are not as simple as some people choose to believe by diminishing older societies because of some Hollywoodised version of them.

This is a digression from the main spectacle but an eruption, other than a pyroclastic flow, would have been as magnificent for older societies as it would for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Interesting quote. Move to the end of the compendium of letters from which it's taken and you'll read that the earth is going to be burnt up along with the heavens for a new heaven and new earth to take their place.

It really puts the climate change thing back in its box. They tell me the earth's overheating. This is just the build up. Roll on the end. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Not wasting any more time on this, other than to say that the period of rotation is not 24 hours but 23.9 hours. This leads to the 0.3% difference in circumference you mentioned above.

You are one mixed-up individual after announcing that you learned that the planet turns at a rate of 1 degree per four minutes at school consistent with the equatorial circumference of 40,075 km and therefore an Equatorial Rotation Velocity of 1669.8 km/hr - the only acceptable value contained within the Latitude/Longitude framework.

Wasting your life is a terrible thing, but it is yours to waste.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Orion402 Give the imperious/self-righteous posting style a rest! Also discussion is going off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

My last ever comment to you. In school it was sufficient to say 1 degree every 4 minutes. It is, in fact, every 3 min 59 seconds, but that depth of detail is beyond the scope of the school curriculum.

Now would you ever go and get yourself banned again and give us all a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Listening to the live feed there on YouTube, it's funny to hear a rooster crowing away :-) with a volcano as the backdrop.

A relatively normal life going on for so many there still I suppose.

Master of the Universe

There are a few interesting theories that Yahweh was based on a Babylonian volcano god. Whether it's a bit out there of a theory and inaccurate I'm not 100% sure as I haven't read up on it all that much, but yes it's very interesting reading some old Testament descriptions of god and his actions when you picture them as a volcano instead.

There really are quite a lot of them, but here are a few more I've found. Really does sound like a group of folks worshipping a volcano.

Can totally understand it too after watching the live feed of this one over the last while.

Exodus 24:17 To the Israelites the glory of the LORD looked like a consuming fire on top of the mountain.

Leviticus 9:24 Fire came out from the presence of the LORD and consumed the burnt offering and the fat portions on the altar. And when all the people saw it, they shouted for joy and fell facedown.

Numbers 14:14 And they will tell the inhabitants of this land about it. They have already heard that you, LORD, are with these people and that you, LORD, have been seen face to face, that your cloud stays over them, and that you go before them in a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.

Numbers 16:35 And fire came out from the LORD and consumed the 250 men who were offering the incense.

Deuteronomy 5:4 The LORD spoke to you face to face out of the fire on the mountain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

Hi guys. A quick question and looking for opinions, as I haven't a clue about volcanic activity.

Our family are due to travel to gran canara on Oct 16th. What is the likelyhood of this situation escalating.

Appreciate any opinions

• Advertisement

The volcano is having no affect on any of the other islands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭boetstark

I realise that, but is there a possibility of this volcanic eruption getting worse and then affecting other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I'd imagine the only worry you have, is if the wind direction changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

My father-in-law flew from Malaga to Lanzarote yesterday with no problem.

It really is just La Palma that's being affected right now and even then 'volcano tourists' are coming and going, along with all the media.

As it stands, travel to the other Canaries hasn't been heavily disrupted. In a straight line, there's about 200kms between the two so it's not like they are right beside each other.

I think you'll find that existed before time began and is eternal. Also the other so called gods aren't gods. But keep reading the bible. It's his letter to the world.

Master of the Universe

Sorry my comment was purely an observational one of how ancient societies viewed naturally occurring events, couldn't understand them, so turned them into gods. (IE: 'God of the gaps')

The bible is a fascinating read, I'll give you that. However after spending most of my life reading it, all it has done is reinforce my atheism :)

Something like a volcano does even more so, it's such a massively indiscriminate destructive power. If there is a higher entity watching over us, he's a bit of a bastard for allowing such things to be part of his creation.

Anyway, for fear of dragging this thread off topic, I'll leave it there - back to watching the volcano for me!

You'll have no excuse then when you come face to face with the God you currently don't believe in 🙂

But back on thread. Is this going to go bang. Will the other volcanoes in the change be affected.

Will halloweenjack FIL be stuck in lanzarote dodging flying lava rocks.

Will there be a canary islands to visit next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This thread is all sorts of crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's a creative destruction though, bringing up minerals from inside the Earth, which provides fertile soils for new life to begin. Which brings us to Buddhism 😅

Advertisement