Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Yes, and I really wonder whether they'll go in hotels, swimming pools, gyms, banks, driving test centres, cinemas, libraries, at the airport, in cafés and pubs (certain ones). A lot of businesses could continue to insist on them. I just can't see a lot of people and businesses moving on from masks on the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭User1998

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

You've already stated, numerous times, that some restrictions will be permanent. You seem to be softening on that now?

• Advertisement

Well, they brought mask emigration into the conversation, so I'm grateful for that laugh at least. Maskigration should be in the lexicon any day now.

A perfectly reason to emigrate, in my opinion. It wasn't meant to be funny. A lot of people wouldn't fancy having to wear one of those forever in shops, on public transport, in hospitals etc.

I like the word 'Maskigration'.

Oh, you're back to thinking it's forever again?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,986 ✭✭✭normanoffside

They are in theory but in practice less than half wear them (including staff).

My position continues to be that I hope they won't be, but that I fear they might be. If the reason for them continuing to be mandatory in shops after the 22nd is because vulnerable people have to go to the shop then I don't see how they won't be mandatory in shops forever because will never go away which means that there will always be vulnerable people.

I go back to a previous post of mine about following the science. The science in Denmark is that masks are not needed anywhere. The, presumably the same, science in Ireland is that they need to be mandatory on public transport, in all shops, and in healthcare settings. I can't get my head around that. "Different countries adopt different approaches" doesn't explain it.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

Same thing on the London Underground, they're still mandatory there also but only 50% are wearing them.

I was also in Stansted airport recently and there was no enforcement of masks there at all. About 20% of passengers and staff not wearing masks and probably another 20-30% wearing them incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

In Austria FFP2 masks are mandatory for all public transport and supermarkets, chemists etc. Should we follow Austria's science or Denmark's science ? And maybe claim that typical of Ireland we're paddy last with the FFP2 masks 😀

Of course every country will adopt different approaches depending on their unique circumstances. If there was a one size fits all "correct" approach to this we'd all do it. How else can we reconcile the New Zealand approach with the European approach, with the UK approach, with the southern US states approach, with the democrat US states approach etc ? Judgement and nuance have to come into it. Most people will only think the correct approach is the one that impacts them personally, the least.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm more talking about 'following the science' in the context of populations being either fully, or almost fully, vaccinated. Even if it be just the eligible population. I can't find the exact percentage, but on 10/09 more than 83% of the eligible population in Denmark were fully vaccinated (Denmark lifts all Covid restrictions, crediting high vaccine uptake (nbcnews.com)). It's probably over 90% by now. It's over 90% in Ireland. And yet Denmark, with over 83% of the population fully vaccinated, required zero restrictions from early September on while Ireland requires indefinite mask wearing in retail, in healthcare settings, and on public transport. 'the science' suggests that there is one science and that that is the one to be followed. But the science is clearly different in Ireland and in Denmark. It can't be that the vaccine is different. It could be argued that it's a cautious approach, but I don't see any reason for caution.

I had the same experience in Stansted Airport a month or so ago. I don't even think they're mandatory in airports in England. I might be wrong. It can be hard to tell. One sees signs that read 'Please wear a face covering (if you can)'. Hard to tell whether that means they're mandatory or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They are not mandatory in Airports but on-board aircraft they are as the airlines all follow the ECDC guidance on it. According to the below it's most likely people following the recommendation

In England, the legal requirements to wear a face covering have been lifted in all settings. However, the government still recommends and expects that people wear face coverings in enclosed and crowded spaces where they come into contact with people they don’t normally meet – such as at airports and on public or international transport.

Face coverings are mandatory on all TFL services and inside stations unless you are exempt. Maybe a lot of people are saying they are exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

I get your point and to be honest kind of agree with it. I just think that with all of this, since the very start, there has been an element of professional judgement by each country's experts. I've no idea who's right and who's wrong, maybe both can be right. Similarly I doubt there's a number of vaccinations that definitely make doing something safe Vs not safe, like, if we said you need 92% of adults done, I can't imagine that things aren't safe with 91% done but when it hits 92% its ok. I think its a case of safER as the percentages go up and its then down to each country's appetite for risk. Even in the US the medics want kids wearing masks in schools and NPHET here have said its not necessary - who's right ?

Meh, I dunno, personally speaking if someone had offered back in January that by October we'd be vaccinated and the only thing left would be masks in shops and public transport, I'd have taken it. Others might differ. I kind of take the view that a global pandemic is going to leave some things different to what they once were, at least for a while anyway. I honestly don't think we'll ever be absolutely 100% back to 2019 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

We were actually 90% vaccinated by the 10th September, almost a full month ago. But still we have to wait almost three more weeks until we reach your point of masks being the only thing left.

Even the diehards know that we could have been fully opened months ago, not that they will admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You're right in that it is mandatory on TFL services but its not enforced at all. When I was there in September, it was probably 50-60%. I was the only one in an FFP2, partly because any mask below that level protects others not you, and secondly because of panicky parents back at home thank you very much RTE for turning them into jelly.

• Advertisement

The Oct 22nd date has been set for a significant period of time. I can just imagine the comments if that had been pulled in.

"How has the "science" changed since they set it for oct 22nd"

"Making it up as they go along"

"only doing it because they are going broke"

It was pretty clear when they said October 22nd that it was going to be October 22nd and not before.

So the reasoning for sticking to a date that has clearly been redundant for months already, is to avoid a few people making snarky comments about bringing it forward?

Funny, they aren't so concerned about snarky comments whenever extending restrictions, but god forbid they ever bring a date forward.

But like I say, there are those that will never admit it but they know full well that we should have fully reopened months ago. Not days, not weeks, months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,050 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I am 99% certain they won't move the Oct 22nd date but IF they did I would give these answers

1. "How has the "science" changed since they set it for oct 22nd" The science changes daily, and has been for the last 18 months
    2. "Making it up as they go along" Nothing new if true but also answered in the science changing
    3. "only doing it because they are going broke" There are worse reasons to go early

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

The 22nd date was set on the condition that numbers remain stable until then. You can't bring it forward and ALSO claim numbers remain stable until October 22nd. When you commit to relaxation proviso on the state of public health then you absolutely cannot bring the date forward otherwise you undermine the science that required the period of observation in the first place. We set out a phased set of relaxation with ample time between them to allow for the impact of each phase to be understood. You need about a month after relaxation of rules to see any significant change in trend.

The date announced 6 weeks ago is redundant for months? A date which included as part of easing restriction of which that was the end date,

People asked for certainty, they got it, suddenly its too certain

I am shocked that you are spinning this in favour of the NPHET government, I could never have predicted that.

They are doing exactly as they said they would. There is no spinning apart from those furiously spinning looking for stuff to be offended by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Sorry if it’s been asked haven’t been keeping up with the thread lately, but on the 22nd are saunas/steam rooms allowed to reopen in swimming pools again?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anything restriction that is not a shop or transport will go.

• Advertisement

What has been sorely lacking is debate. How can Dr Anders Tegnell and Dr Tony Fauci be following the same science if one says masks are unnecessary and do almost nothing and the other says double masking is a good idea? Or are they following different science?

The two most puzzling things for me are the lack of debate and the insistence of many doctors and scientists to sow panic and fear. That I will never understand. Dr Jay Bhattacharya said he was taught at medical school that doctors are not supposed to sow panic. And yet every day there's some scientist or doctor somewhere talking about permanent restrictions, a permanent pandemic (Bloomberg is particularly bad for such articles) or masks on children forever. It's just mind boggling.

Advertisement