Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabit Experiences

Options
  • 24-09-2021 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all, existing Vodafone customer here. Looking at upgrading to their gigabit service as it's now available where I live in Dublin, currently on 100mb. Wondering if anyone has feedback on their experiences with it?

The part I'm most concerned about is if there will be any down time with the switch over, so curious if anyone who was an existing customer that upgraded experienced down time or has any insight into the process of upgrading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭swoofer

VF will have to install a new fibre line and ont socket to your home so just keep the FTTC until FTTH(SIRO) is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Sorry to hijack the thread, didn't think it was worthy of starting a new one. Anyway; just renewed my contract with VF on thursday evening, and upgraded from 500mb to 1gb. Basically, they offered me the faster speed for €15 less than I was paying for 500mb; too good to turn down. The agent said that it may take up to 15 calendar (not working) days for my speed to be upgraded. Just wondering what sort of wait other members have had before receiving the higher speed. God knows, I'm no techie but I can't imagine it's that major a procedure to upgrade the speed you get at the house. FTTH, by the way. Also, would I need to be looking at possibly changing my modem. It's the standard VF Gigabox modem. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Not sure about Vodafone , but it took about 10-15 minutes with Eir to upgrade from 300 to 1000. Basically, as soon as I hung up the phone and took the Speedtest , I had 1gb by then.

My upgrade seems to have been activated today. But my speed is topping out at the mid 600s...

Am currently on hold to VF's technical support to try to find out what the issue might be. Maybe the modem can't handle that speed? It's the standard VD Gigabox modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I am on the vodafone 1Gb and get a solid 900Mbs or more. 98Mbs down. Ping between 7 and 9ms.

Had to replace vodafone router with an Edgerouter 4 though. Also had to keep the VF router to get the Vodafone TV service as I could not get it to work on the Edgerouter.

Overall very happy with the FTTH from Vodafone. TV service not great though.

• Advertisement

Not sure why VF would offer 1gb as an option when, it seems, their router can't deliver that speed.

Standard VF Router is capable to deliver up to 950 Gbps WIRED speeds, don’t you worry.( unless there are parental control options active or similar)

it is good enough router for average Joe. Any other person wouldn’t use ISP router anyway.

I'm looking for decent WiFi speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

WiFi is not what they are selling, they are supplying a wired 1Gb connection into your house with WiFi as a feature. How you choose to utilise the connection is your choice, wired while less convenient will give better speeds. If you only have WiFi devices then you may have purchased the wrong product (although in theory a good enough router might serve mutliple WiFi clients at an aggregate speed close to 1Gb, the supplied Vodafone one possibly isn't up to that).

• Advertisement

True. But when I was on the 500 mb package, I was getting regular speeds of 430mb+, nearly 90% of the maximum. Something similar would be good.

No , I am afraid you won’t get it with the standard ISP router , no matter what ISP it is .

SubGigabit wireless speeds- very costly solution .

What about the Fritzbox 7590? I've seen the brand getting decent comments elsewhere on here in the past.

Nope , to get 850 mbps wireless speeds you need WiFi 6 ( AX ) router or AX MESH system.

why would you need such a fast speeds on you phone? If it for the desktop you could use Ethernet.

Phone or Tablet doesn’t need it really, tests looks good though .

Thanks for your help Alec; very much appreciated.

Fritz 7590 fantastic device though.

I would upgrade ISP router if COVERAGE is important.

With VF router you are getting 660 mbps while sitting on a top of it. With good router you’ll hit 600 mbps within 3-5 meters and 300-400 for the rest of the house.

Coverage isn't really the deciding factor. It's only a small house I'm in, the bedroom would be around 5 metres from the router. Most of my time would be spent within a couple of metres of it. Once again, thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

on a 500Mb contracy with Vodafone. Speed tops is 300Mb. Numerous call to Vodafone tech support....plugging in/out....change to Cat 6 cables.....no change....is it possible that speed is throttled to 300Mb in exchange?. an suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

Switch to Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Fritz 7590 on Vodafone using 160 MHz AC wireless. Wired gives me around 940 down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Excellent if you dont use their equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I get close to 500Mb wired and 450Mb or so on WiFi. No issues with speed in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

How are you getting that upload speed on VF ? Mine is capped at 100.

SIRO first customers still have 200 upload speeds AFAIK ( unless they applied for the new contract)

Post edited by alec76 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's right, I got it at the end of 2018 when they were still offering 200 up. They dropped it to 100 for new customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I was on VF my speed measurements could vary wildly (on a hardwired connection) from 1Gbs down to as low as 30Mbs.

I switched to Sky 500Mb as I don't see any practical difference for a 1Gb connection and my speed is always consistently 490 down and 50 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You should have to prove you know what CDMA/OFDM/similar is to the sales rep before they're allowed to sell you gigabit....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Vodafone tech support think their new router is faulty. I have my doubts

You've said too little about your setup to recommend solution.

300 Mbps wired ? Have you tried wireless? Most of the modern mobile phones could hit 550-650 Mbps wireless and some of the laptops couldn't hit above 300 Mbps wired (Apple, Dell famous for it) even with gigabit ethernet cards due to QoS, software limitations etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 urj

Hey did you ever the TV to work on your own router, I'm having the same problem?

Advertisement