Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Quick serious question.

How are we going to generate the electricity for all those millions of cars to charge ?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 15,076 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

My understanding of Boards.ie is that it is a discussion forum...... You know the kind of place where someone puts forward their thoughts, ideas and opinions. Your`understanding appears to be that it`s a forum where your thoughts ideas and opinions should be excepted unchallenged as sacrosanct.

If that is what Boards.ie is meant for, I very much doubt they would have included a reply function.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Shoog

Most charge overnight when demand is low so it actually makes the overall load on the grid more even. Most power stations ramp down overnight which is quite inefficient (a machine has an optimum load which is usually quite high and where its operating at maximum efficiency) so keeping them at higher load improves overall efficiency. The wind also blows 24-7 so much of the overnight energy is wasted when there is no use for it so EV's soak up that excess capacity. Overall electric vehicles tend to help the grid operate.

There is also the idea that EV's can be used as grid storage in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

now just over a decade later he is anti diesel..... so what changed in that intervening timeframe ? nothing !

Did you miss the whole emissions scandal? Do you think Eamonn had been sitting in on car manufacturer design and certification meetings when they hatched the plan to falsify the emissions from the cars.

It's one thing to disagree with his policies, another thing entirely to misrepresent what happened with such a blatant statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You must have missed where there is an energy shortage and one of the reasons is the wind didn't blow enough this year.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Now a lot of the legislation and decisions are not the greens as they are never really in power thankfully, but other parties chasing the green vote.

And have people noticed most of the legislation actually involves more taxes on users.

So these taxes that you refer to are not as any result of the Green Party so are as has been said the result of either FF or FG (although it is evident that you still hate the GP)?

And no I am definitely not questioning climate change as I can clearly see the climatic changes that have occurred during my lifetime, especially the last couple of decades.

But I am questioning some of the decisions about how to fight it.

Yes go electricity for public transport and short haul private vehicles, but in that case we need to seriously think about nuclear.

Some shyte about wind farms, that usually are complained about anyway, or wave energy that doesn't really exist aint going to meet the demand.

So how would you fight it? Give us some workable and effective suggestions that you would support to tackle climate change.

How do you suggest we generate clean electricity in the short to medium term (especially given that we haven't the money or time to go down the nuclear avenue plus ignoring the NIMBY factor, nuclear has its own issues including how to manage the waste)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

This thread will be fun to look at in a few years time. Like the threads about the Dublin Bikes that would NEVER take off or the threads about electric cars and how they'd NEVER become a reality in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Speaking of the deluded thinking, this headbanger is a government minister. When it comes down to it, the Greens are loons living in cloud cuckoo land

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Excellent points that battery capacity might not be there yet, if said a bit strangely by @jmayo

But in theory if there were to be electric tractors, and other farm machinery going electric of course, with all-day range then surely it's a no-brainer? The argument about running out of battery is a non-runner as you could just as easily run out of diesel

• Advertisement

What changed. I suggest you google "Dieselgate"

It is funny how they only show a small part of that. If they played the entire thing he goes on about mental health etc and people going out doing jobs around the house would help. Keeping themselves busy.

Can't play all of it because then it would make sense.

We have a lot of people who seem to like "The Sun Reporting" as my mate calls it.

Farmers can either quickly go back to the yeard and fill up with diesel or if they are far from base, they often use a tank trailer like this. The practicalities of battery charging render it *currently* unsuitable for agricultural use.

Dyr seems to make a lot of claims about Ryan & the GP. I'd be curious to know what party Dyr would most closely align with.

I don't think anyone should be concentrating on swapping tractors to electric. Diesel still is the best fuel for argi vehicles and for construction etc. Of course diesel was invented for that, swapping private cars would cover off the issues

It surely takes considerably less time to fill a near empty diesel tank with more fuel than it does to recharge a near empty battery?

Or would you keep with the tractor a couple of spare charged up batteries the same way you might keep a couple of drums of diesel with you?

Ireland has over 2 million cars, it has less than 80,000 tractors. Maybe we should look at the big number with technology already available instead of concentrating on a small segment of the market which doesn't have a better alternative?

I agree. Your post answering somebody else didn’t show up until after I had posted and then refreshed the page!

I do think that electric cars are out of the reach of a lot of people right now though when they compare with what they are driving right now. People with limited income will be punished by increasing taxes and fuel costs and whatever else. There’s not much to choose from in the 10-15k electric car range.

Edit: plus they’d also have to pay for a charging station at home and with all the price increases and scare mongering with electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Because of refused planning for biomass conversion. Ryan was sitting minister many months before the actual closure and as such with threat of energy shortages, the sensible option would have been to grant those plants a 5 year extension to cover off what he is now saying will be a few tight winters.

He couldn't be seen to do that of course as a green minister. He cares more about green policy that keeping the lights on.

When everyone has moved over to EV’s, what effect will that have on electricity consumption at night time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

electricity in ireland is mainly generated by fossil fuels. its not helping anything in reality. in the long term focusing on electricity (without the majority of it coming from renewables) for any kind of transport is a bit backward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Te above scenario was that the tractor broke down in the middle of a field, not beside diesel pumps

Can you get a 3-phase supply on to a farm these days? If so, fast DC chargers on a farm could be one way forward on that matter. Today you can get ones that charge at 350kW so say a 100kWh battery (which is probably what a tractor would need) would charge to 80% in 14 minutes on today's technology. Enough time for a cup of tea!

Spare charged up batteries would probably be very heavy so not ideal

On today's technology it might not be sustainable but it is only a matter of time and I think it would be a good trade-off to make rather than reducing our national herd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

as already mentioned to another poster - you may catch up with where hydrogen is at presently and look at where your electricity comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The obsession with carbon rather than other more dangerous pollutants is whats really destroying the country.

Carbon taxes make the convenient polluting options fine if you have money (or a private jet) - but do nothing to tackle the real issues facing us like increasing pollution in waterways, raw sewage still being dumped into our seas, and microplastics being found in trace amounts everywhere. Carbon taxes are simply a money spinner, and a way to control people - a poor person can only "afford" so much carbon, the rich can do as they please, its pennies by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The doing jobs about the place certainly worked for me especially during the 2k and 5k lockdowns.

I know a lot of others who used the same strategy.

Easy to mock the window box thing but planting something and tending it to eventual harvest and consumption is a very satisfying and grounding experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Same here, I have a load of chillies, beetroot, and I will be harvesting parsnips soon from outside. Watching food grow from seed is pretty great. It's amazing how people jump on every comment ER or a Green Party member makes with such hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,361 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Its not really amazing though.

The fact a massive amount of people jump on every comment they make is self explanatory.

Not everyone is wrong. The greens had 11% of the votes.

So the rest must be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No there are just lots of people afraid of any changes and who blame all the countries woes on the Greens, as if they are really powerful. Look at this thread, lots of stuff FG/FF have done over the years being blamed on the Greens now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,350 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

That is my thinking too.

Carbon reduction is all well and good but not until we get cancer causing emissions and all the other ones you mention under control.

It's just an dream tax for government as a strong proportion of city dwellers appear to be only too happy to pay.

The greens promoting diesel cars while the same cars spewed out cancer causing gases says it all... Sure they produce less co2.

Advertisement