Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Excellent 2nd half display last night to be fair. Really tidied things up after making some basic errors in the first half. Important to get a win over the Dragons next weekend now as after that Connacht probably have their toughest run of fixtures of the entire season.

Munster A

Ulster H

Ospreys H

Leinster A

Ulster A

Munster H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Of course we have some intermediate options like Heff Aungier Dillane Masterson, and weight isn't the only metric, but it matters when it comes to facing Saffers and Leicester

Lightest

Buckley/DTM-Murphy/McGrath 325kg

Dowling/Murray 210kg

Butler/Boyle/Oliver 315kg

Total 850kg far from enough in modern rugby

Haviest

Duggan/Delahunt/Bealham 355kg

Thornbury/Fifita'a 235kg

Prendergast/Papali'i/Butler 345kg

Total 935kg, very physical pack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hopefully the impressive performances of Duggan & Burke don’t stop a loose head signing. Can’t go through a season with two senior loose heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

1 injury away from a disaster at LH. Hopefully there is good news this week on it. Great to see the guys doing well but they need support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

No clue about him but delighted. Feel much more confident now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lovely stuff. We'd have been fecked otherwise.

If he can scrummage as well as he can pass that’ll do.

I didn’t realise visa etc would take five weeks, probably be into December before he is available so, not ideal but at least a signing was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

One cannot believe published height \ weight of rugby players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

A wave of optimism has hit me after the last week. A bonus point win this weekend and finally show a bit of consistency will be huge for the rest of the season

So arrived around November the 10th, 3 weeks to fit in,

means we're ok for European opener!

5 to 6 URC games praying for our 2 props mantainig their health

Article from June

A few weeks ago the Turbos' front row looked to be coming together only for Feilding loosehead prop Tietie Tuimauga to suffer a nerve impingement neck injury in a tackle. He had just been picked for Samoa who are to play the All Blacks, but is out of that now.

Tuimauga was good value at loosehead last year after Feilding brought him from Wellington, and the Yellows will miss him when it comes to the club playoffs. Without him last Saturday the Feilding scrum uncharacteristically creaked against College Old Boys.

Prendergast got out injured last week, seems all right on trainning pics, key player, great

I predict our positive results this season will be based on Bealham Prendergast and Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

In my defense all I say is that I really don't believe that flinging the ball around at a hectic pace will win rugby union games against Tier 1 opponents. Forget about the lineout or blocked down kicks, I just don't get this mental structure in what is really a structured game.

You win the lineouts, you get to pressure the gain line. You are snappy across the line you may see an opening, you play an unexpected inside ball an opening may occur, you play positional rugby with the wind, you play defensive rugby against the wind.

Or am I just being too traditional in my thought process. Because what I witnessed last weekend really made me concerned.

I don't want to aggravate the boards community, but I was absolutely at a loss watching the game last weekend. Maybe it is the new way of playing rugby but it looked crazy to me. No offense meant. It's just my version of what I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Friend seems to have taken issue with Jake White's comments about players going to Connacht to get noticed if it's not working out for them at their home provinces (mostly Leinster).

Wasn't Friend himself begging more fringe Leinster players to join about two seasons ago after a heavy loss in the RDS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'll be very disappointed if anyone rises to that weak sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

well, I mean, like , they have a valid opinion, least we forget that the important 1/2 of athlone is, in fact, in Leinster.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I like the fact that Leinster players go out to Galway! Where would Tom Farrell be if Connacht had not come calling? Bedford?

Same goes for Daly and Thornbury. They most likely would be playing in the championship or not at all I think that sometimes the coaches get it wrong and some quality leaves Leinster that management regrets. But, fair play to these players and Connacht.

The problem for Leinster is gauging a players potential and keeping the best fit. It doesn't work out sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

If Connacht develop a player through their academy, it hardly matters where they grew up. Even the likes of Daly who went through the Leinster academy. Leinster barely developed due to his injury profile and lack of game time. He has only really flourished since moving west. I doubt many Leinster fans have any issue with young players moving west. Even the likes of Aungier who potentially would have made it at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

This rubbish about origin on a tiny island on the edge of Europe is awful boring. Connacht are a professional rugby club,their job is to find the best players they can for the money they have. Our funding is provided by the IRFU so our primary obligation to our funders is to provide pathways to Irish qualified players. Origin irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I don't think anyone's saying what Connacht are doing is bad. Who could be against a Tom Daly getting minutes and grabbing the opportunity with both hands? I just thought Friend's comments were a bit lame. In response to White saying they had a lot of ex-Leinster players, his reaction was to highlight 3 Connacht-origin players who started. Three out of 15. How does that disprove what White said?

White was asked pre-game what he knew about Connacht and answered the question. They seem like fairly reasonable and accurate remarks to me:

"A lot of Leinster guys, who come down from Leinster because they didn't get contracts up there; they come down here.

"It's very similar to a couple of franchises we have in South Africa. When they don't get contracted by the big unions, they go down to the small provinces and try and find a way to get noticed by the bigger provinces.

"As I said, we're used to playing that sort of opposition and it will be nothing different. They'll be looking to front up, especially after last week when they lost against Cardiff."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Poor effort, if your gonna try at least make it convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

As opposed to the glorious living conditions in South Africa huh? Sure they all live in mansions there. Fijian me hole you spelt work in afrikaans. Image how sad you life is making an account on here to try rile people up because you can't handle how sh1te your team's are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jayzus! For the love of God!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Anyways back to the rugby 3 changes for the Dragons tomorrow

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS DRAGONS RUGBY

Saturday 9th October, The Sportsground @ 17:15

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (192)

14. Ben O’Donnell (6)

13. Tom Farrell (64)

12. Tom Daly (51)

11. Mack Hansen (2)

10. Jack Carty (161)

9. Kieran Marmion (189)

1. Matthew Burke (25)

2. Dave Heffernan (146)

3. Finlay Bealham (161)

4. Oisin Dowling (9)

5. Ultan Dillane (116)

6. Cian Prendergast (12)

7. Jarrad Butler (75) (C)

8. Paul Boyle (59)

16. Shane Delahunt (102)

17. Jordan Duggan (15)

18. Jack Aungier (15)

19. Leva Fifita (1)

20. Conor Oliver (22)

21. Caolin Blade (132)

22. Conor Fitzgerald (37)

23. Sammy Arnold (18)

• Advertisement

Disappointing to see Papali’i starting, very good game last week.

I presume both him & John Porch picked up an injury or knock of some sort. Hopefully nothing serious.

Advertisement