Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Summer Wine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well I did settle on 1:34:02 for my ‘Claw HM’ TT last year but of course that doesn’t count. 😉

Thanks S. Not sure if it was a neg split to be honest - hard to know without a half way split but definitely a ‘big lap’ negative split. 😁 Either way your point still holds.

Cheers D. Any flat halves in the Kingdom? 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

That's a great result D. Especially given your previous pb was on one of the faster half marathons in the country. That was actually the same day as my own pb. A right Boardsie meetup we had that day.

Tralee HM is on Oct 24th by the way . Not sure if it's flat. Diego would know better.

Cheers P. I did notice Tralee on the racing calendar but can’t imagine it being a flat course. Yep, Charleville 2017 was an excellent day out alright! And then I actually ran the exact same time as Galway at Charleville 2018….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Great to read after last weeks "snafu". And a great time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

It would all depend on your perspective on what is considered flat!

What actually is a bit of a challenge is the Run Killarney half marathon coming up on Nov 13th (https://runkillarney.com/). You run from Molls Gap back to Killarney, turning into Muckross around 9/10 miles. The start is so fast as it's downhill for a long time with a few kicks now and then but what it does to your quads for the last 3 miles is a pretty unique feeling! It is a great race I've done a few times over the years.

Better image below

As for Tralee HM, I've ran the event a few times but not on the route being used this year. I have trained and raced on much of the route in different races over the years and it's not flat...not bad but a long drag out to Ardfert to start with....few rolling hills for a bit, then a few nasty enough ones over the second half of the race. This is taken from a friend's run back in Jun 2019. From what I've heard Tralee half (https://official-tralee-marathon.com/half-marathon/) is almost sold out so nab an entry if you're interested. Will be running it myself this year but just as a training exercise as much as anything else.

Murph, As an aside if you do run the killarney half I'll refuse to accept you calling it an official pb....lol

If he runs it as a pb attempt I'm looking forward to the race report! The relatively small ups and downs in the last 3 miles can feel like going back up the mountain.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, indeed. I'm only half interested at this stage. Website suggests it will be "exciting new route" this year and not sure I'd want to be one of the guinea pigs!

Week of 4 Oct

Reflecting on Galway Bay a bit more this week, I think I ran well but didn’t do myself justice with the time. An opportunity missed alright. And not the first one this year - quite similar to Kilbeggan in that I came very close to PB time without really realising it until it was too late (i.e. in the finish lane or after the race was over). Hmm.

Not sure what to do with the log at this stage, having come to the end of this year’s main goal activities, although I wouldn’t rule out another HM if the right one comes along.

Mon 4 Oct

9k recovery in St. Anne’s during GAA time. Crossed paths with DD on this run as we often do, me plodding, he mid session. Nice chat with a clubmate as I walked back to the car - you never run in Raheny without bumping into a Shamrock.

Tue 5 Oct

Rest,

Wed 6 Oct

7k easy/rec

Noodling around Marino, doing stravadoodles. It brought a new challenge to mind - is it possible to run the entire Marino estate without doing any part of it twice? Probably not.

Thu 7 Oct

7.7k easy/rec

Out and back on the coast. A muggy plod. Nice chat with clubmate B towards the end.

Fri 8 Oct

Another rest day. Happy enough to cut it way back this week.

Sat 9 Oct

6.7k inc St. Anne’s parkrun @ ~10k pace

Today was the anniversary of the late Pat Hooper, and there was a huge turnout at St Anne’s to run the parkrun in his memory. I might have raced this if there’d been an extra recovery week but opted to start steady and pick it up in the second lap. A classic progression run, finishing at sub-20 pace. Even got a couple of heaves in on the final straight, finishing in 21:43. Short cooldown back to the car, with D and another clubmate.

Sun 10 Oct

13k easy in the Phoenix Park. Great to be here as it approaches peak autumn glory. Crossed paths with a strolling Catherina McKiernan on the climb out of the glen. A friendly smile as always. Well done to the Manchester runners today, and commiserations also to those who had a tough one.

• This week: 44k (27m)
    • This month: 66 (41)
    • This year: 2,699 (1,677)
    Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I'm in the process of catching up on people's logs so only just got around to reading your HM report.

That was a great read. Could really feel the energy of those last 2 miles. Great effort, well done!

Week of 11 Oct

After 10 days of recovery (excepting the fairly pacy parkrun) it’s back to club training towards the end of this week for me. Have also found another HM - the Fastlane, in Clondalkin, which I’ve signed up for. Same guy who organises the Clontarf HM, but this one has what looks to be a much better course. Hopefully it’s an accurately measured one.

Mon 11 Oct

11k easy @ 5:19

Howth Road, St. Anne’s and the seafront. Got annoyed by a guy passing at speed in St. Anne’s then settling in just in front of me. Passed him when he stopped to walk near the Baths then he tries to pass me again. Normally I’d let this kind of thing go but tonight I decided to smoke him. 😜

Tue 12 Oct

9k recovery @ 5:58 on the seafront

Wed 13 Oct

7k easy/rec

Same run as last night. Bumped into a few clubmates on the coast and joined them as far as the turnaround at the wooden bridge. 

Thu 14 Oct

Speed: 8 x 400

A club session in St. Anne’s - different group than earlier in the year, where I'd struggled to hold my own with my typical 3-5k pace. Possibly a little too far in the other direction, as I found myself getting maybe too generous a recovery period. But I really enjoyed this - the perfect reintroduction after a fairly long break from repeats of this distance. 9.4k for the evening, with warmup and cooldown. 

• This week: 38k (24m)
    • This month: 104 (65)
    • This year: 2,737 (1,700)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

"Normally I’d let this kind of thing go but tonight I decided to smoke him. "

love it😁

Very undisciplined of me but to fair it didn't require too much effort. 🤣

Not much happening. It will be challenging enough to try to stay sharp for a few more weeks.

Fri 15 Oct

14.5k easy

Met up with C, M and D for a loop along the seafront, St. Anne’s and the Howth Road. A bit longer than planned!

Sat 16 Oct

9k approx inc St. Anne’s parkrun @ +/- HM pace

Big turnout at St. Anne’s this morning. Took me about half a km to get into my stride, taking it easy and ramping up the pace in the second lap. Enjoyed this, it’s really great to have parkrun back.

Sun 17 Oct

16.1k @ 5:56

Long time since I’ve done a long run this slowly but I was a bit tired after a few pints last night at the local. Doesn’t take much to knock me out of my stride these days.

• This week: 78k (49m)
    • This month: 144 (89)
    • This year: 2,777 (1,726)

Week of 18 Oct

3-week HM reboot block starts here...

Mon 18 Oct

40 mins recovery

Weary plod along the seafront.

Tue 19 Oct

Strength: 4 x 1.5 miles

Target pace - 4:21/k (7mins/M). Did OK on the outward half then turned into the wind. It felt ridiculously difficult after a while and I pretty much gave up even trying to make MP by the final rep. Won’t worry about it too much. Might have been related to getting a flu jab in the morning!

Wed 20 Oct

Rest.

Thu 21 Oct

Tempo: 7M @ HMP

A little wary of this after the other night’s session. Had the gear on to get out before work but something came up and I didn’t get out until evening, joined by M. After the usual dodgy feeling warmup, we launched into the business and from the beginning I could tell it would be a good one. Turning as usual into the wind at half way, even this was less blowy than anticipated. Average pace 7:11/M, right on target. The company always makes it easier of course, grateful for it.

• This week: 41k (26m)
    • This month: 185 (115)
    • This year: 2,818 (1,751)

That Thursday session was super work. Was Tuesday targeting threshold pace?

Those Tuesday strength sessions (10 secs per mile faster than HMP) are close to threshold alright. I've been able to knock most of them out without too much fuss. Wind just got to me this time, couldn't be arsed by the end!

• Advertisement

Fri 22 Oct

No running. A longer than expected drive up to Donegal saw me arriving long after dark. En route, the Chicago 2022 email had come in. Application accepted. Accommodation reserved. At least I know what will be happening the second half of next year.

Sat 23 Oct

9k approx on the local loop. It was wet and windy and I thoroughly enjoyed the elements, and the shower afterwards.

Sun 24 Oct

23k @ 5:46

Enjoyable 14 miles out past the Caravan Park and on through Thower. Sunny and windy. Hills looked wonderful, beautiful light.

• This week: 73k (45m)
    • This month: 216 (134)
    • This year: 2,849 (1,771)

Congrats on Chicago.

Great news about Chicago, that will be amazing 😊

Ah, it's just a rollover from the cancelled 2020 (they gave the option to run in 2021, 2022 or 2023). Qualified in 2019, or maybe even 2018. Longest marathon planning in history. But yes, it should be a good trip, a group of at least six from the club, no doubt a few more after the ballot. Great to have the opportunity, no doubt about it.

Week of 25 Oct

2 weeks to go to HM attempt #2 this year. I’m already regretting the choice of race, as I doubt it will be an accurately measured course. Anyway, will try to keep it going for couple of weeks. Then it will be mainly about finishing out the year with decent mileage and maybe a decent effort at Jingle Bells.

Mon 25 Oct

8.7k / 52 mins recovery

Around the local Donegal loop, first couple of kms with the missus, who is making progress on the long road back from injury.

Tue 26 Oct

Strength: 6 x 1600 (800 jog recovery)

In Ballina for a couple of nights, which gave the opportunity to have a session on the very decent public track which is part of the town’s excellent sports facilities infrastructure. Jogged across the Moy and arrived at track as the rain began to fall. There was one woman jogging around, and a few more souls arriving for some sort of session. Everyone, including me, seemed to want the inner lanes but that’s fine - having done sessions in the past involving huge numbers sharing the track it was no hardship at all to work around a few people.

I knew the watch would be useless and tested it anyway on the first rep, which sure enough tried to tell me I’d run 1600m with still about 60m of lap 4 remaining. So the rest of the session required a few on-the-fly adjustments to make sure I was hitting the desired 1:45 per lap. Felt good and strong for all of this session. Totally soaked by the end, and suffered some chafage in the aftermath. Job done however. Would be really great to have some tracks like this in Dublin, completely open to the public. What could possibly go wrong? 🙄

Wed 27 Oct

6.5k recovery

Normally a rest day but I joined the mrs on her run, a very pleasant jog through Belleek Woods (apparently one of Europe’s largest urban woods, it said in some local tourist blurb).

• This week: 34k (21m)
    • This month: 251 (156)
    • This year: 2,884 (1,792)

I'll see you at Jingle Bells 🎅🎄😁

Thu 28 Oct

Tempo: 5 M @ HMP

It’s been a while since I got out before breakfast for this sort of session. Not the easiest decision during the Ballina mini-break after a couple of pints with dinner last night, and not a great night’s sleep. I had plotted a route around the town, and checked the Google Maps Street View to get a view of where to make the various turns. Apart from a slow second mile negotiating a couple of intersections, the pace was pretty even. Some little climbs here and there to keep me working, and I had to finish hard to make the numbers. Definitely had that “last five miles of the race” feeling on this one, with the Tues session lingering a little in the legs. Total for the morning: 10.9k.

• This week: 45k (28m)
    • This month: 262 (163)
    • This year: 2,895 (1,799)

Sat 30 Oct

6.9k easy @ 5:37

Volunteered at St. Annes’ parkrun (backup timekeeper) then ran home afterwards.

Sun 31 Oct

13.5k easy @ 5:16

Feeling quite sprightly on this MLR, a reccie of next week’s HM route. Not too inspired by the amount of wet leaves on some of the paths, which no doubt will be in play, as I doubt there will be much in the way of road closures. Good few pinch points too if the route is confined to cycle and walking lanes. Could be a bit dodge!

• This week 66k (41m)
    • This month: 282 (175)
    • This year: 2,915 (1,812)

• Advertisement

Week of 1 Nov

This week is of course all about the Sunday race (just double checked the date and time). 😀

Mon 1 Nov

No running.

Tue 2 Nov

8.9k easy on the seafront.

Wed 3 Nov

6 x 800 @ HMP (5 mins rec)

Hanson has all easy runs, but as I haven’t followed the whole plan, I did this session, a repeat of a suggestion made by @Duanington just before the Galway Bay race a few weeks back. Short reps with lots of recovery, enough to keep the legs from falling asleep in the buildup. Enjoyed this, well after dark on the coast.

Thu 4 Nov

No running. Was about to pull on the runners after work but kept the mrs company with a glass of wine as I watched her cook dinner. 😁

Fri 5 Nov

6.1k easy around Drumcondra.

Sat 6 Nov

5k very easy at St. Anne’s parkrun. 

Sun 7 Nov

Race: Fastlane HM - report to follow.

• This week: 58k (36m)
    • This month: 58 (36)
    • This year: 2,973 (1,848)

Advertisement