Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Zappi wired in right?

Options
  • 04-10-2021 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a sudden doubt about the way my Zappi car charger has been wired into my home and looking for a 2nd opinion, not really trusting the installer who put CT clamps on wrong which is basic to me. ...

So I have a 14 panel setup and battery and the main fuse board is in the utility room. Out at the meter, they wired in the Zappi trip switch. So when I am generating excess energy, it should go to the Zappi and charge the car. But all the diagrams I have seen, have the fusebox for the Zappi at the house fuseboard and not outside at the meter.

So the big grey cable coming down the Right Hand Side is to/from the house fuseboard, and it goes into what looks like a kill switch (marked with question marks) for the house. Coming out of that, you can see a smaller brown/blue/earth wire which goes off to the zappi. Question is, as I generate excess energy and it comes from the fuseboard towards the meter, does it do a "u turn" in that kill switch wiring and go out to the zappi?

I want to make sure I am actually using excess solar to charge the car and not sending it to the grid, and seperately importing from the grid to the zappi which thinks it doing its job, but isnt.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

This is the wiring diagram for reference

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Looks fine to me. (looks like an Enniskillen install?).

Just make sure the Zappi CT clamp is around both brown wires downstream of the isolator switch. Alternatively around the single brown wire between isolator and smart meter (if you can get it to fit).

Thanks for your reply. The CT clamp is around the single fat brown wire to/from the house. When it was around both, the zappi was acting strange and thought there was way more excess solar energy than there was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The CT clamp needs to see all energy in the house. If you only have it around the tails from the isolator to your CU, you are missing the Zappi leg. I would be surprised if it is working correctly in this configuration as this will lead to odd behaviour in MyEnergi App.

Solution is either to move CT to single wire between smart meter and isolator, or put it around both live wires downstream from isolator. If the latter, when charging your EV from surplus solar, the current will be flowing into isolator from CU, and out again to Zappi. The current will be flowing in different directions, and will cancel each other out, leaving zero on the CT reading.

EDIT: Another option, if too difficult to get CT clamp around the live wire between smart meter and isolator, is to put it around the neutral facing towards the smart meter i.e reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

That doesn't sound right. The Zappi won't measure total use including its own. Having the CT around two wires can be problematic - as Jonthan said move it to the brown wire between the meter and the isolator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

My Zappi fuse is nice and neat in the fusebox

Thanks for the advice, I'll try move it to the large wire between meter and isolator.

Advertisement