Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Here is that gap, (yellow arrow) it's actually a gate way from Sophie's front lawn beside the pumphouse- the gate closes onto the pumphouse.

It's on the opposite side of the lane to the attack gate (red arrow).

That is a newly hung gate as fresh mortar is visible at the bottom hinge pin.

There are also fence posts strewn around Sophie's lawn, indicating fencing work being done.

My early theory was that this work was being done by someone other than Sophie and was the reason for her travel.

Expecting a confrontation, she asked for someone to accompany her.

Her original intention was to be travelling back that day but unfinished business delayed her .

Maybe this was her unfinished business.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

How about the forensic investigation was good? There are no prints, dna whatever of anyone outside of 3 people we know for fact were in the immediate vicinity. How things happened are generally secondary to narrowing down the suspects.

So grow up and move on to why it might be covered up.

"So grow up and move on to why it might be covered up."

Maybe start another thread over in conspiracy theories about the cover-up which has been regurgitated ad nauseam on here?

Let me summarise what the DPP said to the Guards about the investigation ; What do you want me to do with this SH*T?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Here's another pic of said field she ran or was chased down in the dark. With that incline and soft ground I wouldn't fancy that myself. Going back to something I was thinking about yesterday - with all this alleged running, chasing either down the driveway or across both fields why are there no more footprints?

• Advertisement

This is one of many forums where there are people(shills, trolls) active whose sole intention is to move the focus off the only peope we know were in the vicinity of the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"

Your theory certainly contains elements of plausibility but ordinarily one might expect a flare-up at the gate to put time of death either at the early or late end of the range of possibility. One imagines that an early-hours flare-up could only be precipitated by a party-goer making noise at the gate. I guess you're thinking that a disturbed Sophie comes out to investigate (possibly with something in her hand) and she is then attacked (possibly out of a sense of protection of self or another). I posted earlier that the use of a concrete block doesn't necessarily imply that the perpetrator was a very strong person.

The phantom killer, hitman who comes out of nowhere, disappears into thin air and leaves not a trace behind? That wouldn't be a conspiracy theory?

That is a much later photo of the same gap and the gate is now gone, and no sign of any fencing around that area, curiouser and curiouser !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Any photos/originals from crime evidence from Sophies front garden? (& btw not a clump of briars in sight )

I think Sophie ran down her lane possibly in the dark/early morning and instead of turning right at the hairpin bent went straight thru the scrub/briars/brash into the field, either due to visibility issues or being disorientated.

This would explain some of her injuries, & the cops/scene in the field from yesterdays photos, her being snagged on the fence, having climbed or been thrown over...& blood on the gate as it was climbed from the field side...

If this was the route she was terrified throughout...& knew she was about to be killed..

• Advertisement

Agreed

Far more like to be an ordinary scenario gone wrong, e.g. gate flare-up, ended relationship, rejected advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

So I'd say from the cover-up we know a member of AGS is involved. We have the Garda from Bantry and the supposed confession. So I'd factor him in. Who was MF with? talk is a local detective.

So then you've to wonder why MF is in the vicinity at 3AM with said detective. There is also a total reluctance to prosecute MF from the state for her lying under oath and being in contempt of court. There is also the fact she paid for her 500k home without a mortgage. Very odd indeed you'd have thought very humble earnings from a small convience shop at that time.

So if you really want to bring all these together with Alfie, your having to suggest a drug growing, smuggling or importing chain.

Alternatively maybe rouge Bantry detective is just a womaniser certainly keeps the storyline more linear. It gets vastly more complicated when Alfies brought in. However maybe there is some sort of shared guilt. Perhaps he introduced the womaniser garda to Sophie to return a favour.

Post edited by OwlsZat on

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kerry_man15

That is quite interesting! Did the Guards ever look into who was doing/had organised the fencing that was going on at the time? From the overhead shots there are fence posts lying in the field in front of Sophie's house (the one she possibly fled through), clearly work was being done.

You're getting there; gate flare-up because of the age old Irish neighbourly feud

I believe Ian Bailey was a journalist in the 80s. Who was Alfie Lyons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭chicorytip

This photographic evidence could give credence to the theory that she was running down the lawn toward the gate (yellow arrow) and managed to open it before being caught. I never realised that this particular gate existed. I thought there was just the one - the main (shared) entrance gate to both properties. There is another gate, I think, - not visible here - leading onto adjacent farmland, obscured by the hedge at the bottom of the lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

But why hasn't IB pointed fingers in that direction?

Fear of reprisal or of damaging his reputation further?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Coopcrow

The guards did investigate over 50 suspects. They made lots of mistakes, no question, but they did investigate people. Alfie and Shirley were investigated, as were anyone who was known to have worked at the property. Only Ian Bailey has consistently remained as a suspect.

We don't know there was a cover-up, we've never had any proof of a cover-up. We've had evidence of malpractice, that's not a cover-up. MF has given plenty of interviews and has never shut up since the case begin other than to keep this one bit of info to herself. Why not admit it was a guard? Her husband was clearly aware by the early 2000s at least.

Marie Farrell laughed and found it funny to send the guards on a wild goose chase to find the man she was with. A man who may have helped build a case to prosecute the murderer of Sophie. On the Bandon tapes, a detective, who didn't know he was being recorded, spoke to her about trying to find her lover. He mentioned chasing down two leads she gave them. It doesn't add up that they just used her as a cover-up based on those tapes.

• Advertisement

In this photo you can just about see a fence a metre or 2 away from Sophie's Eastern gable;

It's unlikely Sophie would have put that fence there, there's already a low wall there and this fence looks incomplete.

Why would she put a fence between her car and her house like that?

This fence has also disappeared in later photographs.

I'll see if I can find one.

Edit;

Here's one taken much later -no fence!!

Post edited by chooseusername on

In this clip (borrowed from Koude Kass) Sophie walkes past the pump house... 2 points.

1. the pump house is located behind a gate therefore ... her pump behind her gate.

2. The pump house appears to have only one block missing. (pumps need an element of ventilation to prevent condensation/rust).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

35 pages deliberately removed from the evidence book is a cover up.

Including pages relating to MF and how Bailey was identified as suspect. The Guards were unable to explain how MF came to identify Bailey or how his name was introduced into her questioning.

Doesnt mean every Guard was involved in that 'conversion' or tampering with evidence. We also hears on the Bandon tapes pressure being put on another Guard taking Jules statement re: to get a result rather than writing things down honestly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Glen Immal

Indeed. Baily is the foremost expert in Ireland on this case..Its a pity he has never been fairly interviewed at any point, either by the Media or Guards. I'm sure he has significant insights.

I'm not suggesting he is innocent of involvement. I don't know if he was or not, but I'm sure he has made a life study of all the supporting characters in this sh1t show, he definitely has more to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

The area where She parked her car is technically owned by the third house (Not Alfies)

Alfie's property doesn't own the land immediately west of her field.

Also her front field is clearly defined by hedges.

So the area to the back of her house and the front are two different parties.

I wonder who was putting up the fencing?

Interesting pictures but it's difficult to know exact dates without a timestamp.

One line I remember from the Sheridan documentary is the detective saying she was killed after a 'prolonged chase'. How long is prolonged is not specified. It is possible it was a hide and seek scenario, if you were running away from someone in the darkness and the path to your neighbour is blocked what would you do? Perhaps try and hide in the bushes. I still find it strange the point at which she got caught on the wire. Was she trying to get over that fence and into the field beyond?

Regarding any theory the Gaurds would go to extreme lengths to cover up for Alfie and Shirley, why would they? Shirley had only moved there from England and Alfie was a retired blow in chef who dabbled in marijuana. Unless you are seriously hinting about a CIA link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

I would say first photo showing new gate was around time of murder... cordon tape behind in field...

I would say second photo (with no gate!)... Is later as possibly you can see Sophies memorial stone at main gate?

Also new gate puts pump onto public lane ... Where as old gate (in video of sophie walking) puts pump behind gate in garden/field.

• Advertisement

If you can turn Ian Bailey into a naked cross-country running Superman lesbian harem-owning dancer surely you can figure out where people who share a laneway might leave evidence of themselves behind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement