Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I agree, I've stocked up on toilet paper just in case and I'm currently in an anticipatory state of holding firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, they still do. It's broken down by electoral area. In the league table, Donegal has positions 1, 3 & 4. Position 2 is Mallow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am the parent of quite young kids and to be honest ,what I learned in the last 19 months is that you cannot protect them without "damaging" some other aspect of their lives.Everyone who has young kids has had to accept that our risk exposure is just higher and there is fcek all we can do about it.We mostly can't make them wear masks.We can't actually stop them from touching stuff in shops, touching door handles, getting too close to each other and wanting to talk to people.It's just not possible and it is especially not possible if you have more than one child with you.I saw the damage 2 extended lockdowns with no school and very few friends and family did to my (then) 6, 4 and 2 year olds and I will not do that to them again.I'd like to know if a child in the class tests positive and I will then make a decision to test mine, but am I going to keep a perfectly healthy child sitting at home for 10 days, just in case??No.They need their education, and they really need it now after disruption of the last 2 years.My 7 year old is in 1st class.The last continuous year of school she had was her second ECCE year, when she was 4.

It is a far from ideal situation , but we will take our chances and let them live their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Listening to a piece on the wireless there talking about a report from experts saying they believe Covid was present in Wuhan in late summer 2019. They put this down to several factors including a massive increase in the purchasing of PCR equipment associated with tracking Covid infections. I'm still convinced (without any solid proof) that my wife and myself as well as my eldest daughter had Covid just after Xmas of 2019 as we had several of the symptoms and my wife in particular had lingering effects until early February. I know i was never that sick in my entire life had breathing difficulties for one particularly bad 24hr period on New Years eve.

Who knows but i do know that winter especially around Xmas i had more than half our employee's out of work at various times in January with flu and cold like conditions also. I guess we may never know a definitive answer given China's secrecy in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The point is that people should be given that choice by informing parents of a close contact . You choose to send them to school which is entirely your decision but others might have very different circumstances and choose differently

If parents are informed of the close contact to a positive case they can choose how to deal with it based on their own families circumstances

For example a vulnerable child in the home or elderly parent etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Given that the PCR test for COVID was not developed until January 2020 that seems a doubtful claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

PCR equipment implies testing for a wide range of potential antigens or infections - which is exactly what youd do if you had an outbreak of a mystery infectious illness.

Also it's not like the PRC have exactly been open or transparent regarding their response to covid, they could have had the PCR testing capability for covid long before January,

• Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is current story with traveling to UK and back to Ireland ????? I know it changes so often it's hard to keep up.

I'm talking non vaccinated people.

Sure, but you can't know it's COVID unless you're testing for it and there was no test until January 2020, one that emerged soon after the first genome was made available. When it started is unknowable especially with the Chinese cooperation and we will probably never find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no checks going from Ireland to the UK. You don’t even need a passport

Flying back to Ireland you need to fill out a passenger locator form and have a negative PCR test but they don’t seem to ever check any of this in Dublin airport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,967 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'm talking driving in an out. but that must be same eh. How crazy that no restriction going out, but Ireland still carrying on with restrictions coming in, wtf . I can understand it for others, but for Irish going in and out its not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

You dont need a test if you are fully vaccinated

PS just saw that the poster mentioned not vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Half-decent article here on it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-10-04/china-pcr-purchases-spiked-in-months-before-first-known-covid-cases-firm-says

Short Answer: PCR equipment purchasing was increasing massively since about 2014 anyway, and China was dealing with other outbreaks in late 2019 that might account for the increase.

Basically, it's impossible to tell. The evidence is inconclusive/circumstantial enough to possibly be coincidence. We'll never know the truth here really unless we see the PROC collapse and the new regime become more open with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Vaccinated30

Although it was discovered in the waste tested in europe in December 2019 if IRC

We're really nearly there says Nolan.

There's nothing in the numbers at the moment, that would change the advice that NPHET would have given Government towards the end of August.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I would actually agree, I know of several people in different areas of my life who had terrible illnesses Dec 19 to Feb 20, that took weeks to shift, antibiotics didn't work well with, and that had breathing difficulties as part of it (one landed in ICU with pnuemonia and then pleurisy).Jan 2020, many of my colleagues were out for a week or two at a time, guys who would never really be sick.We will never know but I would be unsurprised if it was in circulation well before March 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There's too much optimism on here and everywhere else. Too much optimism is worrying. Too much self congratulation from the authorities. All racing back to the office even if there is no need to, so we can "collaborate".

And seamus says there is nothing to be concerned about.

All this adds up to a miserable Christmas. You heard it here first. I'm gonna get to the pub as often as possible up to then!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Yea, too much of doom & gloom would've been a lot better for us. Also, if Government would impose ban for intercounty travel, it would help too.

Anyone but Fauci. Why wheel out someone they don't respect or trust? He's on news' programmes 24/7 in the US. They say show us anyone but Fauci and stop talking about booster shots. So the response is to have Fauci on news' programmes 24/7 talking about booster shots. It doesn't make any sense. It would be very easy to have someone else on instead of him. But whether anyone else would be much of an improvement in their eyes, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

This paper is a bleak read if you're relying on vaccination to reduce restrictions. An average of 47% effectiveness against infection after 5 months over all age groups, and as low as ~35% for 16+, defined by elective PCR (i.e. true effectiveness against infection is lower), and 60% effectiveness after 5 months against hospitalisation for older age groups.

People vaccinated early this year, hospital staff and the elderly and so on, are essentially unvaccinated at this point.

The section on variant sequencing is interesting. Some research may have been made irrelevant (e.g. trial data on old variants) in record speed here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

''Unvaccinated'' is irrelevant.

Immune systems know how to fight infection. Getting infected is no longer an issue for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They showed them trump and it still didn't work, these people are idiots, unfortunately a large section of the US population are unable to make adult decisions and being encouraged by idiot GQP "leaders" trying to grift them.

The only way to do it is to enforce it by law, asking them nicely and rolling out american football stars doesn't work.

Fauci is the expert, they don't understand experts, so the pool of people who can convince them is very small.

You suppose that the ~10% decrease in effectiveness each month, stopped decreasing at 5 months?

It is of course relevant because some proportion of people are still hospitalised post vaccination. If effectiveness against infection decreases to 0% (for argument's sake) and effectiveness against hospitalisation decreases to 50%, then we will still need strict lockdowns due to unfixed capacity issues in hospitals.

Getting infected is no longer an issue for the majority.

Getting infected was never really an issue for the majority. Spreading it to at-risk people was the risk, and this paper shows that vaccination alone will not prevent this.

So the at risk pople we were preventing spreading it to are no longer at risk... So spread away...

? They of course are at risk still. 60% effectiveness against hospitalisation at 5 months for certain age groups regardless of comorbidities.

And bear in mind, this is 60% only relative to unvaccinated people. It isn't an indicator of absolute numbers. I.e. if a billion unvaccinated people are hospitalised and 400M vaccinated people are hospitalised, this is 60% effectiveness.

So no, probably not spread away

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Avon8

Nobody is celebrating NZ moving on from Zero Covid though?

There seems to be some strange snarky comments, especially on twitter, on this subject over the past two days. That somehow people are celebrating NZ's 'defeat' in this regard despite having 27 total deaths. They're missing the point so spectacularly that I'm wondering are they doing it on purpose.

What this is, is the final inarguable proof that it was a ridiculous strategy for Ireland that had no chance of working, the increased transmission of Delta notwithstanding. Despite most people realising this, it wasn't as if this was some sort of fringe idea. Our likely future leaders in government adopted this as their strategy of choice, as did others in opposition. The misguided public momentum behind it led to MHQ, causing hundreds of Irish citizens abroad to miss funerals of loved ones, a 2k fine for a trip to the airport and was the pressure behind a host of other draconian restrictions, including the reimposition of the 5k limit.

So while NZ accepting that the strategy no longer works isn't a cause for celebration, the humiliation of the likes of ISAG and the death of their dangerous idea absolutely is. Seeing their buzzword argument go up in smoke, and their final descent into the realms of laughing stock is both satisfying and positive for the future. An investigation into their funding and perhaps charges for their aim of deliberately 'spreading fear' would be fantastic next steps.

1,124 new cases, 349 people in hospital , up 16 from yesterday, 65 in ICU, up one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,210 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I remember pre vaccines when ireland was locked down due to 50 in icu. I found it surprising that such a low number was considered too much for the healthcare system. Now it's more than that and all restrictions are being dropped?

• Advertisement

It's because the exponential growth element has been removed.

They could extrapolate from 50 in ICU to many more in ICU in a number of weeks.That can no longer be done due to the vaccine rates.Therefore we no longer need the same measures, for now.

Advertisement