Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, what to do?

Options
  • 02-10-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Coming in need of some advice, I’m building a house in Dublin and we’re just about getting to the final stages of design.

I’ll have an immediate requirement for some kind of broadband when we move in and it looks like I may be just about In. 5G coverage area but can definitely get 4G. I expect it may be some time before I can get a fixed line service.

kids are young so it’s only really streaming services being used for entertainment now but I’m sure gaming etc will be demanded in years to come

so question is really, if I can get 5G, do I need consider fixed line at all? Also should I be running Cat6 ad part of the electrical given the improvements in Wi-Fi?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Wired is always better than wireless, I would say that goes for your broadband and for your entertainment devices in your house.

You can get decent speed with 4G and esp 5G, but the reliability of fixed line service will trump wireless internet, unless your fixed line is ADSL only speeds and VDSL or higher not an option. (I am also in a new build, currently I only have 4G, no option for fixed line service for me for another 5year+ when NBI get around to it)

In your home I would definitely put a at least 2 Ethernet points where you plan on having a TV/media centre and one next to power sockets where you could be working from home or kids computer etc. 1 point near TV could be enough and have an Ethernet switch there, but have a wired connection for say TV and media box/games console, will help reduce load on your Wi-Fi allowing more bandwidth on Wi-Fi for devices that can only use that.

I would also do a run to central points in ceiling to put access points, depending on size of house.

Some people go all out and put one next to every power socket and even in light switches etc, but personally I think that is over kill unless your hobby is crimping CAT6 cable, and buying expensive switches.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Like the poster said above run Cat6 to the TV points and to ceilings for WiFi access points (I have 5 AP in my new build house...). I would also run at least one to the bedrooms for kids doing work on their laptops later and working from home. Are you going to have study/home office run two there maybe. I have just built a new house as well and I went down the over kill route and have 33 Cat6 drops...My opinion is having decent IT infrastucture in your house is now one of the key services in your home. Think of how much you connect to the internet now.

In my opinion WiFi is great for mobile devices such as phones etc but your number one rule should hard wiring as much as you can. You will never get the bandwidth or stability of Ethernet out of WiFi as its affected by many different variables.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Cheers, so we’ll have approx 230 sq m with 70 % of the space downstairs. Downstairs will have 2 rooms with TV and a separate home office. Makes sense to have Ethernet in the bedrooms too.

I’m pretty sure I can could configure a simple switch and APs but does it make more sense to cable back to a particular area like the home office or does this just depend on how best to keep the lengths short ?

Yes you HAVE to bring all the network cables cables back to one spot where you have your switch and router. Make sure you also install an ETU box and all the ducting to be ready for fibre https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/NewDucting.pdf You can NEED to drop a Cat6 cable to the internal wall on the inside of the ETU that way you can being the internet back to where you are having all your cables.

• Advertisement

Cheers, I think I worded the question badly - I know all cables need to be terminated at the same point. Does it matter where this is or is it best to be as close to the where the ETU is?

Doesn't really matter where they all terminate to just put it somewhere that's convenient for you normally in your utility/plant room. The ETU is normally near the front door thats why you need to run a CAT6 to the internal termination point of the ETU (dont forget you need a power socket as well) so you can bring this back to you main hub.

Advertisement