Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nadine Lott Verdict

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

@AdrianG08 “This day and age” has nothing to do with it. Women have always been murdered by rejected suitors, much more than men. It’s always happened, and it will continue to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This guy looks familiar , was there another case of him getting away with beating up an ex girlfriend, he went off to Australia, someone on here that knew him posted some messages between him and the guy - basically saying he hopes he gets his anger issues sorted and he shouldn't be bragging about getting away with it and having a ball in Australia, the lad responded saying he was doing very well - both financially and spiritually or personally ... dunno maybe was someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Real undercurrent of bitterness that these girls deserve it for "not going for a regular lad like myself".

That's your own interpretation of it, I think it's a valid question to be honest.

I have 2 sons, but I tell you one thing, i'd be terrified having a daughter in this day and age

Well I would worry more about your sons if I were you - as men they will be way more likely to be victims of violent crime, to be homeless, to be killed on the job, to commit suicide, to be murdered etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I give you an answer to your so called 'valid question' although I thought it's common basic psychological knowledge these days:

kids get abused. emotionally/physically, if, most of the time both, from their father/mother/uncle whoever. childhood shapes us. many adults who were abused in whichever way as a child end up in abusive relationships because we are looking for what feels familiar for us, even if it's bad for us.

so shock, horror, it's the case that good looking girls end up being with scumbags like this.

Also, he himself wasn't THAT bad looking, I don't know what it's all about?? And like one poster above mentioned, he might not have shown his real face early on and then there was a child involved. She tried to get rid of him for years. there are vile people out there even 'good looking women' can't get rid of if they're scum like this one. Jesus, is it so hard to understand?

Also, people asking this question like there's some written proof somewhere there are unproportionally many good looking women out there being with scumbag men like this. where's that statement coming from? show me this statistic or whereever do you pull that claim from that there are so many 'good looking women' attracted to vile man? I think it's a myth from exactly this men!

I could also have an explanation to your question I guess you won't like (and is more meant in an ironical way): women don't have a choice, there are too many bad men out there, so we don't have the choice at all or we'll be extinct!HA!

Post edited by tara73 on

@tara73 Why don’t you lead by example and provide some evidence for your own claims? Oh hang on, I forgot. You never do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

you are not adding much of value to the thread with this single sentence than judgement to one single poster who gave a lot of valuable explanations and with that reveals some of your own frustration and probably anger towards someone speaking the truth. very weird.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Her injuries were horrific. So horrific they had emergency services and nurses breaking down after seeing the condition Nadine was left in. And there he was making excuses for himself hoping to get away with manslaughter. He pummeled her. The mother's impact statement is so sad. How could you ever recover from seeing your daughter like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I've nothing to be angry about, i'm in work winding down the last half hour on Boards. Your "explanations" hold no value, you are an anonymous person on the internet spouting opinions angrily. You seem more interested in angrily scoring points on this thread against, i presume, a guy who has asked a simple question than in the murder of a poor innocent mother. But that's your prerogative, no matter how insensitive and disgusting it is.

you are accusing me of something YOU are doing and this is my last comment to you before mods step in to hand out bans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've a couple of cousins who are Gardai and one of them tells a story of a Garda driving the ambulance that night to the hospital allowing three paramedics to work on her in the ambulance.

and? what's your point? trying to talk about her horrific wounds? why? just tasteless.

There's just nothing that expresses the horror of that adequately. And the mother trying to do CPR on her until paramedics got there. Not sure he would have stopped if the neighbour hadn't disturbed him.

It's not tasteless at all. It's not talking about her horrific wounds - it's talking about the level of injuries caused to her. Shes the centre of it all imo and her family.

yes, so horrific. I don't think he would have stopped if the neighbour wouldn't have stepped in. what would have happened next?? Can anybody imagine?? again, so horrific, oh my god.

You don't think what was done to her was horrific?

sorry?? I just said it in my post!! what is that for a question anyway???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Caquas

At first I thought this trial was a grotesque waste of resources. No jury would ever have left him off with just manslaughter so we spent a fortune (€1 Million or more) proving the obvious. The defence lawyers collected big fees by telling Murtagh it was a freebie - if he pleaded guilty to murder, he’d still get a life sentence so he had nothing to lose by going to trial and there is always a chance that the judge would throw out vital evidence. This trial wasn’t about establishing the truth, it was about collecting fees. Brendan Grehan SC should never be allowed to forget his BS plea about drink.

But now I think this was money well spent, Murtagh is exposed as a brutal and despicable killer. He will spent the next 20 years (no, he won’t get the usual early release) looking over his shoulder. Anyone in prison who fancies making a name for himself will take him on. 20 years in solitary would be a fair punishment. Probably be a quieter man when released in his mid-50s, especially if he is taught lessons on a regular basis by his fellow inmates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Very true. It doesn't mean that when women do it they should get away with it by playing the insanity card though. It should be equal punishment for an equal crime.

I don’t know if that is that common an excuse as it is very difficult to “prove” insanity. Claims of some sort of abuse seem to be far more lucrative.

But this is obviously taking things off topic because it’s not what happened in this case. The girl had had no chance against someone who clearly wanted to possess her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think that anyone who did what this guy did is clearly mentally deranged, and that is not an attempt to remove responsibility, in fact I am arguing the opposite.

If a person is capable of killing someone in such ways then I don't think insanity or intoxication should even be entertained in the court. They are all nutters and pose a threat to us all if they are ever allowed to walk the streets again.

Maybe he is deranged, maybe not. I don’t know enough to make a judgement here. To be it seems like a classic case of impulse control and hurt ego. I guess it doesn’t matter at the end of the day, the outcome was the same and it’s a good thing he is off the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hopefully he gets similar treatment to Fran on the inside. Pool cue etc

Advertisement