Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

His poll numbers are a fact, ok. But the conclusions being drawn are absolutely not.

Even the nuance of the polling numbers is debatable. I don’t see why people are so fixated on approval ratings all of a sudden.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because they can't answer direct substantive questions, like the one I posted about nuclear weapons budgets, or the one about what would they have him do differently viz. vaccines.

No different than when RIGOLO or noto were here; if they can't copy/paste, they flee with their tails between their legs. At least Pete would sort-of try to answer questions, sadly he was always wrong in his responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Being unable to answer a simple direct question correctly and saying it's not true is either a lie or he had what's called in the common parlance a senior moment.

Let's look at the transcript shall we.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops.

BIDEN: No, they didn't. It was split. Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true.

STEPHANOPOULOS: They didn't tell you that they wanted troops to stay?

BIDEN: No. Not at -- not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn't argue against that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall. Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving. And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st."

He either forgot, didn't get briefed by anybody which is even more worrying or it's a lie.

Or do you think he opened his mouth and the words randomly fell out in that particular order and that's completely ok and nothing to worry about, seems weird thing for people that were so deeply opposed to Trump's carry on to say.

You lads are gas, you have the balls to call other posters cowards but you can't answer a simple question.

:D

There is plenty of people won't ask direct substantive questions in this thread recently and it ain't just Trump heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

So, what do you think about Biden's nuclear weapons budget? Any thoughts on what he could have done better about the vaccine rollout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What did the military chiefs actually tell him?

He has enough wiggle room in those answers to not be strictly lying, while of course it is pretty obvious he is not exactly looking to expand.

Take this line for example STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

I am pretty certain not military guy told any POTUS we should. They put forward options. They probably said we can, we could. So techincally he wouldn't be lying.

But again we are back to your insistence that this is something important. It really isn't. At worst he attempted to present his best case in an interview, but you are intent of making it out to be either a massive lie or some proof that he is senile (senior moment). I have given you ample examples of how your narrow view of it is clearly not the only available options. I can only assume you are limiting the options to suit your own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Again, so defensive.... that tells another story.

I am pleased though you recognised the facts that I posted, that Bidens polls at this moment in time are the worst of any President since WWII bar Trump and Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It shows, especially with Independents that he is losing the middle ground and hopes for a 2nd term get that bit more difficult.

Do you have any comments on the facts that I posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

Why can't ye just admit Biden lied?

Are ye in some sort of cult where you can't talk bad about your leader?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Because there has to be proof that he lied. So far that hasn't been forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,614 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

To paraphrase football supporters BobHopeless "are you notobtuse in disguise!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Josephfromdowntheroad

The interview was televised or at least put online for the whole world to see?

You guys are like the liberal Qanon you need to come back to us in reality.

Come back to us when you actually have something to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 38,234 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you proof that Biden lied?

Or are you taking the word of somebody else over Biden's? If so then can you explain how you've decided that this person whose word you are taking as gospel deserves that?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

"Not strictly lying" isn't much of a defence.

And I don't see why he feels the need to take this approach. He could just as easily say that yes, some advocated maintaining a presence in Afghanistan, but he made the decision to bring all the soldiers home.

He wouldn't even come across badly by saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Well the general was under oath at the time so if he was lying he was taking a big risk given that it should be easy enough to disprove his statement. Has he been charged with perjury yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

It's frecking weird and the hilarious thing is it's all so obvious. Cult is the right word for it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Biden had issued an order to stay in Afghanistan or increased troop levels there, the same people on here decrying the removal of America from the country would be calling him a warmonger instead.

Such people cannot be trusted to give an honest opinion on these matters. Their only interest is in doing down a man and a party that they are opposed to by default, which they are desperate to do by any means they can. They don't even convince themselves with their rhetoric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,234 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you taking the General's word over Biden's? If so why are you taking his word over Biden's? Please don't say that he was under oath as your reason. Tell me what he's done for you to be so sure that he is more honest than Joe Biden.

I don't know too much about the details of the nuclear weapons budget but I don't think making sure they maintain the level of deterrent they have in the past is a bad idea, Especially retaining second strike capacity.

In terms of the vaccine stuff, he's jumped the gun on some issues like the booster doses, similarly on masks he's not had great optics at times, the vaccine mandates I don't know, it depends on how many quit in key roles- too early to say. Honestly think he should constantly be making the point that Trump threw billions at developing the vaccine and is in favour of their use. The CDC hasn't been covering itself in glory, it's a big organisation and it isn't producing much of its own data and there is reasonable arguments that it is cherry picking studies from abroad to suit whatever agendas it has not sure if that's on Biden though. He also should be clearer on his figures or be more considerate with his speech. https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/biden-says-97-to-98-of-americans-need-to-be-vaccinated-before-returning-to-normal/ar-AAOToeE?ocid=uxbndlbing

Take this for example, what he is saying doesn't actually seem to make much sense and is realistically unachievable. Delta is transmissible among vaccinated people.

I would give him a B on it.

So the joint chiefs of staff are lying to comitees to cause issues for the Commander in Chief. You know that suggests the Biden administration is in a completely screwed up state.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Incredible testimony from former Biden head of border control Rodney Scott

This is another fatal blow to the Biden administration's border policy. By all accounts the southern border is getting over run by illegals from 150 different countries on a daily basis. Having Biden in charge is like Xmas every day for the cartels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Here's why I believe and I believe a neutral observer can only conclude that Biden, lied, forgot or has his staff keeping the Commander in Chief from the direct advice of the Joint Chiefs of staff (that's probably worst option).

Transcript from hearing

Mr. Inhofe: (48:17)

Thank you, Mr. Chairman. It was two weeks ago that we had a closed, classified hearing. We had General Miller’s recommendation at that time. Well, let me first of all just mention that during their confirmation process, you committed, and I’m speaking now to General McKenzie and General Milley, to give me your honest and personal views of this committee, even if those views differed from those of the administration, and I’m confident that you will be doing that. During this hearing that we had, it was emphasized to us from General Miller that he was recommending the 2,500 troops in Afghanistan… Now, we didn’t receive the documentation from your offices, I say to the witnesses today, until, well, actually, 10:35 last night. So there really wasn’t time to get into a lot of the details, but I’d ask General McKenzie: Did you agree to the recommendation that General Miller had two weeks ago?

Gen. McKenzie: (49:35)

Senator, again, I won’t share my personal recommendation to the president, but I will give you my honest opinion, and my honest opinion and view shaped my recommendation. I recommended that we maintained 2,500 troops in Afghanistan, and I also recommended earlier in the fall of 2020 that we maintain 4,500 at that time. Those are my personal views. I also have a view that the withdrawal of those forces would lead inevitably to the collapse of the Afghan military forces, and eventually the Afghan government.

Mr. Inhofe: (50:05)

Yes, so I understand that. And General Milley, I assume you agree with that in terms of the recommendation of 2,500?

Gen. Milley: (50:12)

What I said in my opening statement and the memoranda that I wrote back in the fall of 2020 remained consistent, and I do agree with that.

Mr. Inhofe: (50:21)

This committee is unsure as to whether or not General Miller’s recommendation ever got to the president. Obviously, there are conversations with the president, but I would like to ask, even though General McKenzie, I think you’ve all made this statement. Did you talk to the president about General Miller’s recommendation?

Gen. McKenzie: (50:41)

Sir, I was present when that discussion occurred, and I’m confident that the president heard all the recommendations and listened to them very thoughtfully

So Biden is lying or forgetting extraordinarily important stuff. The joint chiefs of staff adviced to retain a force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/military-leaders-gen-milley-testify-on-afghanistan-exit-full-hearing-transcript/amp%3ffbclid=IwAR3x9yAcskFTFbgwYGP-qvRcJzyUgmuWB8PluABTo2X_8wry4bqxupYZf5M

None of that indicates that those are the only two options that a neutral observer would conclude is possible, and you yourself are aware of that by the fact that you ignored my question about it. Repeating it over and over again in different ways doesn't make your opinion stronger.

Of course the strident good mannered :) biden supporters on thread can get away with this sort of posting.

If Biden was telling the truth the joint chiefs of staff are lying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I know what you believe, you have told us that any number of times. The problem is your belief doesn't stand up to reality.

I have pointed out a myriad of other scenarios, yet you seem completely unable to even accept that any of them are possible. Since you were not in the room, you cannot possibly know the reality.

Where in that transcript does the General state that he told Biden he should keep the troops there? He recommended it. Like I suggested earlier, military leaders don't tell the POTUS what he should do, they recommend various options and POTUS decides.

Biden was asked did the Generals say he should keep 2,500 troops, Biden said they didn't. Based on the transcript Biden is indeed telling the truth.

Here is the transcript that you posted of the interview;

STEPHANOPOULOS: But your top military advisors warned against withdrawing on this timeline. They wanted you to keep about 2,500 troops.

BIDEN: No, they didn't. It was split. Tha-- that wasn't true. That wasn't true.

So it certainly appears in Bidens answer that he is saying that not all of them wanted it. It was split. Nothing the general said contradicts that.

STEPHANOPOULOS: They didn't tell you that they wanted troops to stay?

BIDEN: No. Not at -- not in terms of whether we were going to get out in a timeframe all troops. They didn't argue against that.

Did the general testify that a he wanted troops to stay? HE said he recommended it, but Biden then adds the bit about the timeline.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no one told -- your military advisors did not tell you, "No, we should just keep 2,500 troops. It's been a stable situation for the last several years. We can do that. We can continue to do that"?

BIDEN: No. No one said that to me that I can recall. Look, George, the reason why it's been stable for a year is because the last president said, "We're leaving. And here's the deal I wanna make with you, Taliban. We're agreeing to leave if you agree not to attack us between now and the time we leave on May the 1st."

The general did not state that he said 'we should keep 2,500 troops" in his testimony. So again, Biden is not lying.

It is a disingenous use of language, but it isn't a lie.

Advertisement