Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-British Xenophobia and Hatred in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Absolutely.

The 800 years of oppression piseog.

The first Normans here were basically French speaking, Welsh based Mercenaries invited into the country by a petty provincial Irish King.

It snowballed from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Really didn't. The Normans integrated into Ireland, in some cases becoming "more Irish than the Irish themselves".  

There was almost no religious division in medieval Ireland.

That's not true of what happened after.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

How many of Irish today can claim to be 100% Irish blood with no Viking, Norman, English or other invader, immigrant blood. Some posters here are making disparaging remarks about some of their their own ancestors.

DNA tells us a lot about who we really are. This is different to who we may think we are.

Even the surnames in our family tree tell us a lot about where we came from.

That's a bit like you'd forgive someone in your own family regardless of what of they've done, or do. Or do you have to like everyone, simply because they are family. Do you like no one thats not family. Then there's causing a split in the family, and not just denying responsibility, but victim blaming.

Most people just get on with life with a live and let live attitude.

But some people are not constantly posting inflammatory threads threads and posts to have a friendly discussion. At some point the mask drops, and their true intent, and opinion is revealed.

Many Irish Families are multicultural. Then there Irish Diaspora around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Butson

Henry II followed Richard de Clare to Ireland for a number of reasons, but bringing religious strife into the argument at this time doesn't hold water, as they were all Christians i.e of the same faith.

No doubt what later followed in terms of the Church of England / Protestantism caused nothing but grief but the Catholic Irish, but that was centuries later.

There was almost no religious division anywhere in europe in Medieval times.

You were the one claiming its all snowballed with the Normans. :)

So then you have to look and see where did it become divided...

Kinda rhetorical...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Is that sign still up near dublin airport (Brits out)?. Nice warm welcome to the brits that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

What is 'outer Albania'? I'm not aware of such a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I can remember Brits out graffiti in Glenageary (near where my then English grandmother lived) in the 1980s. I can also remember the anti-Protestant graffiti some eejit put up on Achill island, near Gray's guesthouse (purely because a COI family owned the guesthouse). Not cool, not nice, and sectarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

What the hell are you on about? The whole place was a cesspit of it once the Abrahamic death cult got its claws in here. Go look up the 'Albigensian Crusade' and educate your own self, instead of throwing ridiculous petty digs about Irish people not being educated.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Discussing the economic or social conditions as contributing factors while omitting the reason(s) why those conditions existed is a bigger problem than the reverse IMO. Of course it is either uncomfortable for you to discuss that, or you think the British state did nothing wrong by (brutal) standards of other imperialists of the time or nothing wrong full stop.

So better to confine discussion of the famine to the greed of Irish merchants, actions of landlord's agents and estate managers etc., or the Irish peasant farmers poverty, their having too many children + relying on the potato which was susceptible to disease, much safer ground...

I think that constantly obsessing and raking over over all the evils of the past + trying to somehow get "justice" in the present is extremely destructive to better relations between countries/people. In fact it makes it impossible.

However, if it is under discussion washing away the bad history (e.g. we will talk about the social/economic conditions in Ireland leading up to and during the Famine in a vacuum) isn't really going to help either. Trying it will really just put people's back up more (see my sarcastic tantrum as you termed it, and some other posters responses to you and to bob also).

Leaving the famine in the past...and considering subject of the opening post there is definitely some lingering anti-British (not just anti-British govt.) feeling in Ireland. I think it was declining sharply since the violence had pretty much ended in NI, but has been given another wind by Brexit and the deteriorating relations between the UK/Ireland post Brexit. Relations are unlikely to improve at all while the current crop of Conservatives remain in power in the UK. Unfortunately if SF also get into power here next time out and are then facing off against Boris Johnson (or successors of same mould) and rowing over NI, it could get much worse.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I thought I was discussing a historical point - obviously for you it means something more.

However, I do take issue with some of your points. If you think I was whitewashing the actions of the British state then you could not be further from the truth.

I am a Scot (of Irish & Gaelic descent) - you may not know Scottish history so here are some of the more recent examples

• Glencoe massacre - a clan was killed in their sleep because they failed to swear allegiance to William
    • Culloden atrocities - after then Jacobite rebellion
    • Destruction of Gaelic cutlure - after the Jacobite rebellion
    • Highland clearances - 1750 to 1860 where the people were forcibly evicted to make way for sheep.

I am sure some Welsh readers or other areas in the England could provide their own details on how the British state f***ed them over.

That the Irish were treated badly by the British state is not in doubt but please do not think that you were somehow unique in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

I dont think anyone thinks the irish were unique in what they sufferd at the hands of the british,most people would be aware of the atrocities they committed worldwide.when i say most people i obviously exclude the ordinary british person as they are not educated in this

What you did was selective quote history out of context to change the narrative. If something is done repeatedly, it's not accidental.

Ok I now understand the rules - the famine can only be discussed when the 800 years of colonisation is included in the discussions.

I apologise for my ignorance

• Advertisement

You didn't even get the famine right forget about the rest of it.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

It's not history that rises people's ire. It's willful ignorance today.

The famine can only be discussed in a way that is set out clearly in the rules of Irish Nationalism. Anything else (as has clearly been demonstrated here) shall be classed as revisionism and victim blaming. or to put it another waym when the irish claim that the Brits don't know their history, what they actually mean is that the Britis don't know their history, the way the irish like to tell it.

When you think about it though, after independence this country went backwards. The people who who were running the country turning a blind eye to mass abuse by the Church, because the church was running the essential service which meant they could concentrate on lining their own pockets. The North had basically been abandoned because Dev didn't want half a million prods clogging up his Catholic utopia and anyone with get up and go, got up and went.

There must have been thousands wondering what the hell was the point of independence, so the narrative that no matter what happens, life was worse under the Brits had to be adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Well Cork stopped spontaneously combusting after independence so that was an improvement imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

Anyone who could go leaving was the story of Ireland for centuries and had little to do with independence since it was true in the free state and true under British rule.

I doubt much needed to be said about the famine. Just point out it was under British rule so that doesn't really suit your point. If you want to Stoke anti British feelings you can point to the 1916 executions and atrocities carried out by the black and tans (which shocked the UK public nevermind the Irish). They could point to the outright racism in the North. So again there is little need for the famine to be a propaganda tool.

You seem to be trying to absolve blame of the UK which as Biden has said the buck stops here. It happened right on the doorstep of the richest empire in the world. So it was clear that the UK had little interest in Ireland. Certainly we have had corruption issues and issues with religion but it meant that Ireland had a serious voice in sorting out its own problems and well the corruption/religion problems were already there.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to absolve anyone of any blame, just highlighting the hypocrisy of the statement that the British don't know their own history, when quite clearly the Irish aren't exactly experts themselves.

What was that about the victors writing the history.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Anybody coming out with this shite is living in the past.

Ireland when in the UK was always the poorest part. The part of Ireland that is in the UK today is the poorest part of the Uk despite it have being the richest part of Ireland when all of Ireland was in the UK. Yet today the south is now richer than anypart of the UK. We have been a success story of completely breaking ties with the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

How many former colonies in the 20th century immediately prospered upon gaining independence? I can't think of any.

Protectionism and religion were damaging, but Ireland was a dirt poor, downtrodden colony, that traumatically lost about a quarter of its population from famine less than a hundred years earlier, and then was gutted by wars, prior to independence. Blaming Ireland for 'going backwards' after independence is undeniable victim-blaming.

Post edited by elefant on

Aegir is correct as regards Western Europe (excluding Spain where was war against Moors (who were Muslim)), I am not so sure about Eastern Europe as I thought Orthodox split occured around 1000AD. My History of Eastern Europe not so good so I don't know what strife this caused. Also there was the ongoing war against Ottomans in Eastern Europe (not sure where religious Border was)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭Christy42

The victors write history because the losers are normally not around. The losers here are the British who are very much still around. It still seems like you are trying to absolve the blame massively and I think you know Irish history a lot less than you think.

You can't be accused of victim blaming or white washing history if you don't do that. So if you are doing that you've only yourself to blame if you get called out on it.

The church stuff has nothing to do with this thread . Also it happened in the UK just the same as everywhere else.

As for the north, thats a whole different discussion. But saying it was abandoned makes no sense since its been a complete mess since it was created, and everyone's been looking for some sort or solution since then.

As for the Irish economy well the Economic war didn't help. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Irish_trade_war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Polulation 1921: ROI, 3.1m, Scotland 4.9m, Wales 2.65m,

2021: ROI, 5m (+ 62% on 1921) Scotland 5.4m +11%, Wales 3.25m +22%.

2021 GDP per capita: ROI €96k, Scotland 37k, Wales 30k.

So today Ireland's GDP is far higher than Wales or Scotland when we were poorer than them both when part of the UK. Our population has grown 62% since leaving the UK while Scotland and Wales has grown 11% and 22% respectively. It is obvious that leaving the UK was successful.

so Scotland and Wales should become tax havens as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

London is the money laundering capital of the world.

At the time of partition the economy of the 6 Counties was bigger than the 26 Counties. Now 26 Counties economy is 8 or 9 times size of 6 Counties. Hard to know what delivered this. Personally I think split between leaving UK, joining EU and a few good Government decisions like "Free Education" in 60's, setting up IDA, plus Political \ Economic Stability and English speaking.

Oh I agree, that is why I support Scottish independence.

It does raise a question for me though, despite the success, some of the posts and posters on this thread seem to be "wallowing in victimhood" - why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Now, now. Can’t spread the British tax havens too much. There is enough in London, Jersey, the Caymans and Brit Virgin Islands, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

If you get impression I think Ireland is "unique" and I'm trying to take a "Most Opressed People Ever" (MOPE) point of view of Irish history (incl. the Famine) and that is what you are "taking issue" with in my post you are wrong. Quite sorry I started this to be honest.

Aegir When the irish claim that the Brits don't know their history, what they actually mean is that the Brits don't know their history, the way the irish like to tell it.

Maybe some truth in that. The UK does not govern Ireland any more. It does not control the education system or the narrative around our history. The blushes of UK institutions/govt. when it comes to Irish history are not going to be spared here or left for people to learn about later themselves if inclined or covered in a 3rd level history course. Post independence there was probably a tendency to overdwell on the past evils (i.e. MOPE as above) + who was responsible to bolster justifications for fighting for independence and therefore the legitimacy of the new Irish state. I think that has died down a lot though (less to prove now, independence paid off in the long run).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

It’s not victimhood so much as setting things straight for the umpteenth time. I agree it is a tiresome somewhat thankless task, but it bears repeating.

What was then Great Britain didn’t recognize Ireland’s independence for the longest time. Ireland was the First in a long line of colonies to shrug off the unpleasantness of the British mantle in the last century. It just makes the fact that Ireland has attained a level of comfort a bit sweeter, at least to me. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

Higgins’ bigotry has brought this into the open. The commentator Andrew Devine, from the Republic but of mixed roots, wrote of the reality that most nationalists have a “sneering and contemptuous attitude” to those of a British or Irish-British identity, who would be given no respect “in the kind of united Ireland marketed by Sinn Fein and the petit communist President who sits in Aras an Uachtarain.”

Echoes much the comments I have been making on here. A lot of Irish people seem to despise Unionists and Conservative Britain. There's an air of superiority about us now, much like during the Celtic Tiger. Higgins lied about his reasons for missing the service and was given a free pass by the media.

I see Ireland and Britain as dysfunctional family. Squabbling siblings at the best of times, battered wife and abuser at the worst of times. You can't choose your family, so we just have to get on with it.

On an everyday level, the ordinary, everyday, salt of the earth British prick is no better or worse than the ordinary, everyday, eloquent, wise, good-looking and extremely intelligent Irish person but that's half the fun of the squabbling, innit? 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,149 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ruth and her like (Eoghan Harris + Barbara etc etc) would not deserve respect in any society. Hypocrits and agenda driven as they are.

I can respect a British person even though I might vehemently disagree with them but save me from high moral ground partitionists with deep rooted generational inferiority complexes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Echoes much the comments I have been making on here.

Yeah. Petty and nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Ireland wasn't a colony, it was part of the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What a load of absolute and utter bollocks.

As for Ruth Dudley Edwards, I'd rather not hear about her again unless it's her funeral.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

" A lot of Irish people seem to despise Unionists and Conservative Britain. There's an air of superiority about us now, much like during the Celtic Tiger. Higgins lied about his reasons for missing the service and was given a free pass by the media."

Why should we look favourably on people who would like to see Ireland lose her independence and be ruled from London again ?? It's hardly an air of superiority more a vast difference of opinion.

• Advertisement

There's an irony to that claiming victimhood, when the thread is why is there so much anti British feeling in Ireland.

Explaining why is like a rewrite of Scrooge for British History.

Advertisement