Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

So that's Dobbins, Hill and Edwards all out for the year then? Ty'Son Williams needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,183 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ravens signing Devonta Freeman. Steelers making TJ Watt highest paid defensive player in the league 4 years 112 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Steelers unusually stretching themselves with that very big contract, would anyone else have been able to pay TJ that contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

They aren’t really stretching themselves, they have a lot of cap room going forward as several highly paid veterans will be off the books from 2022.

The guaranteed money is a big departure from their usual way of doing business, there was a bit of a standoff over it by all accounts but player power won out it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Twitter rumours that DeAndre Swift of Detroit being investigated for murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seems to be largely a reddit rumour. Police got a tip off a few months ago apparently but they have said he is not under investigation (though they may say that anyway i guess). There is little to connect him to it yet.

Ty'son Williams, Freeman, Murray, Cannon and Bell...

I could live with it.

How long Bell will be around is another matter entirely.

Cannon presumably gonna being rowing primarily with special teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Have you a link to the article where they said he is not under investigation.

The response I seen from them was basically not saying anything.

• Advertisement

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10012132-report-lions-dandre-swift-not-under-criminal-investigation-despite-internet-rumors.amp.html

I guess not an official statement but it would be weird for all of to lie about phoning the police station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

tua has been placed on IR by the dolphins. I’m probably thinking way too far ahead but is Tua in trouble in Miami ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well they passed on Herbert last year and now they passed on Lance, Fields, Jones etc this year.

They better hope Tua works out, though they still have plenty of draft capitol next year if they want to make a change.

Given Jones is somehow still in New York I feel like it is too early unless the doctors think it is likely to keep happening.

It's gas, the last three Alabama starting QB's are now NFL starters and the next guy looks even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Prime candidates for Watson. Unlike many spots, can't see their owner having any issues with it

Well I've met and spoken with their owner and I'd be surprised if he took Watson. There's certain things that have a stench off them that nobody wants to touch.

Watson has to clear his name and whether he did anything or not it's going to be very difficult to erase doubt from people's minds.

I think it's 50/50 at this stage as to whether he ever plays again.

I can't speak on your personal interactions but with Ross being a supporter, donor, and fundraiser for Trump, who has significantly more stench than Watson, I dont see him suddenly growing a conscience regarding Watson, a guy who can bring him much more personal glory.

He's a billionaire, most of them love the Republican party. That's got nothing to do with football.

As regards the Miami Dolphins I'm if the opinion that he wouldn't want somebody with a stench of sexual assault around the team.

It has nothing to do with football, it has everything to do with the character of Ross. It shows he has no problem publicly championing and raising money for a man with a greater number and greater severity of crimes against women.

We can agree to disagree but I am of the opinion that a man like that would have no issue with bringing in Watson and again turning a blind eye due to the personal gain that Watson could bring him. It isn't like turning a blind eye isn't already common for many teams in the league.

• Advertisement

Well if there's a stench of sexual assault hanging around Watson then it's loss that is likely to be what you get if you bring him in.

I'm not getting into a debate on politics here. You can take that elsewhere.

There is nothing political about the allegations against Trump and Ross made the choice with all the facts and 'stench' out there to support and fundraise for the man. He has shown us his morals and I choose to believe what I've seen until evidence otherwise - just like the decisions of other teams and front offices to take on players with the 'stench' of other crimes. More often than not it is proved right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Josh Gordon signing with the Chief. How many chances is this guy going to get!

Trump is politics.

I'm talking about football and the stench of sexual crimes. That's as bad as it gets, nobody wants those types around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hopefully this is the last one he needs! Fills the Sammy Watkins WR2 hole nicely if he's good to go. Massive if, obviously.

Trump is also sexual assault. I would wager none of the 32 owners actually care too much and are more avoiding due to a potential ban/publicity.

I mean you have Winston, Big Ben and Antonio Brown as well as the slightly different but still pretty bad likes of Tyreek as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Superbowl half time show announced, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Eminem, Mary J. Blige, Kendrick Lamar. Strong lineup, will be a big draw.

Used to love Snoop but I really don't like him now. Honestly that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I havent heard practically anything Snoop, Dre, Eminem or Blige have done in the last decade. I know Eminem still releases stuff, but I didn't even know the other 3 were still releasing music (are they even?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

No one will be tuning in to hear their new stuff anyway. Great line up for LA, should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭cosatron

i say line up is a nod to the LA rap scene, straight outta compton Roger Goddell style.

Yeah, once they stick with the greatest hits then it'll be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Blut2

Thats an incredible line-up for an LA superbowl. Should be very impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I’d say the upcoming super bowl in LA will be the best one ever in both the history of the super bowl and of the many ones held in the LA/California region of which there have been a few.

Lombardi and Florio going on the record as saying the Meyer's job is in jeopardy. Given Baalke's history with leaks, this info could be coming direct from the team so it doesn't look good for Urban (who frankly has no one to blame but himself).

• Advertisement

This isn't college football. It'd be a huge thing if Meyer got fired over something so minor.

He's already apologised and it's been accepted by all parties.

If he does get sacked over this then it's the owner using an angle to get him out of a contract because he's unhappy with the football.

Doesn't sound like it is an 'accepted' and move on issue.

The Baalke element is hilarious, he'll throw anyone under the bus if it gets him up one more rung on the ladder or one day extra job security.

Really don't think it is minor at all when it comes to the grand scheme of things, when you add it to all the other messes Urban has made as coach so far on a 0-4 team you can quickly lose the team. Urban is clearly one of the many hypocrite coaches out there who doesn't practice what he preaches.

It would be incredible if Khan uses this as an excuse to get out of the contract, after Urban's history of making excuses to get out of contracts himself.

I would say it's starting to become an accumulation of "poor judgment" decisions by Urban.

Sending the team home from a game they lost but staying behind so you can party on your old college stomping grounds with young women who aren't your wife - it's not exactly a good look for a head coach.

Wouldn't put it past him to have organised all this so he can get the sack, get a payout, and roll into USC as head coach and be worshipped for it.

When you see the things NFL players get up to and I'm not talking about law breaking stuff then you realise how minor this is. I realise he's a head coach but he broke no laws and it's nothing other than a guy having a few beers too many and acting like he had a few beers too many. He didn't abuse anybody, he didn't break any laws. I don't drink anymore myself but I got up to loads of mischief when I did. It's nothing.

Pretty sure his contract has a moral clause so could well get nothing if he gets fired. I agree that he won't get fired for this but he may be the official reason. It does show a lack of judgement since he has to figure how quick he will be under fire. No idea how big a deal it is to not travel with the team.

2-2 and I am pretty sure no one cares about this but 0-4 it becomes a deal. Let us not pretend that any owner has any serious principles outside of winning/money.

• Advertisement

Well, owners of football teams have to worry about PR, marketing, sponsorships etc. So even if they don't care about the moral side of things, they have to care about the impact it has on how the franchise is perceived. Especially in today's "cancel culture" world.

So it is a big deal if the head coach - already under fire for hiring his friend who was only unemployed because of some pretty serious allegations of racism and bullying - also decided to go partying after a loss and letting young women who aren't his wife dance on his lap while groping them.

There's also the impression this gives the players, and the reports are that they found Meyer's story laughable. That suggests a lack of respect, and the fact that Khan came out and said he lost the trust and respect of the franchise suggests it is a pretty big deal.

Of course it's all a lot easier to overlook if he didn't have a well documented history of being a very immoral person, so Jacksonville can't really be surprised either.

Do you think the owner would have come out and said what he said if the Jags were 4-0?

What's your point? I can't think of any private working environment, especially in the US, where a person's job performance isn't taken into account when dealing with a potential disciplinary issue - large or small.

Not sure you can have a worse start than he has had on any front - when things keep adding up then eventually a straw can break the camel's back.

Never heard of Art Meirov before and won't be looking to read any of his stuff again either.

Signing Tebow, drafting a gifted running back and having a competition for the starting job at QB aren't negatives.

How did he trade away a pick before he even got there?

And how is the owner making a statement attributed as something he did?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

He's referring to trading away CJ Henderson last week. It does seem premature to give up on a top 10 pick so soon.

Just on another thing. I remember Harbaugh had a big problem with the Bengals taking a field goal to avoid scoring zero points in a game last season.

So last Sunday he decides his team should run instead of taking knees to keep their run of 100+ yards rushing games alive. What a hypocrite.

Yeah it was a bit of a surprise but he hasn't looked great this season. Still it was pretty early to give up on a guy whose only back after a bad injury.

Just to clarify, I am not a fan of Meyer. I don't like the guy at all. I don't think he'll be successful in the NFL either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Harbaugh is a whiny **** in general, wouldn't have much time for him

In this case it was Fangio was whiny. People were out there to play football. No idea why coaches complain about this mundane stuff. Harbaugh as well from the Bengals game last season.

I'm sure he and his nearly half a million followers will be devastated by that review.

Those are all clear negatives to me:

• Signing Tebow started a complete media circus and the result was Tebow making a fool of himself in a preseason game and not even making it to final cuts. It showed poor judgement and stunk of just helping out a mate - things a coach can get away with when they have capital with the team not during their first camp.
    • Leaving aside how gifted the RB is and whether RBs are worth a first round pick - Jags had many other areas of far, far greater need than another RB. The opportunity cost is huge.
    • All QBs talk about how important preseason snaps are to getting ready, especially for rookies. Taking away rookie snaps is a terrible idea unless you highly value the other option in the competition - which the Jags clearly didn't to then trade him away for a 6th round pick. If you have to use some idiotic competition or 'earn it' approach to get your 1st overall pick to be motivated in camp then you've made a terrible pick in the first place.

I called Urban to be a train crash from day 1, I am just surprised how quickly it has gone completely off the rails.

• Advertisement
Advertisement