Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART coming to Maynooth line in 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Yes but in fairness that is a unique situation and it’s taken years of planning and proposals just to get to this stage.

I haven’t read the full facts for the bridge you are referring to. I know it is in phase 2. Usually these things would need to be built in order for them to sell or rent the properties within phase 2. Most developments these days that require green space have this requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Updated plans are out for consultation 2.

Changes at Coolmine had been well flagged, otherwise nothing major that is different. Proposals for the protected bridges look fairly decent.

Most controversial new element may be the rerouted underpass at Ashtown which will now result in the loss of the stables. Unless there is alternative land provided, that's going to result in legal challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

What in the bejaysus is that monstrosity?

Apparently Vanilla does not like to keep pasted images at their original size. https://www.dartplus.ie/S3mvc/media/DART-West/Emerging%20Preferred%20Option/Clonsilla-aerial-view.jpg for the original size.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally a place for hill training in D15 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Looks like the cycle/foot bridge at Clonsilla Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's exactly what it is.

All of the plans are on the DART+ website:

https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/projects/dart-west/public-consultation-round-2/dart-west-preferred-option

There are similar bridges planned for Coolmine and Porterstown.

Given the height that is required to safely clear the overhead wires, the ramps for cyclists are going to have to be long.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Looks fine to me. Nice solution overall.

It is what it is I guess. Presume the incline has to be gentle enough for wheelchair users and that means it has to be very, very long.

I just hope they retain the existing footbridges cos I don't fancy that trek every time.

These are external to the station to allow pedestrians and cyclists to continue to cross the railway when the level crossings are removed.

There will still be an accessible footbridge within the stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Adding to what LXFlyer said, the footbridges between platforms are to be retained.

The new pedestrian/cyclist bridges (with long inclines to accommodate wheelchair users) also have 'shortcut' steps that bring you to the top of the bridge.

In the Coolmine one: https://www.dartplus.ie/S3mvc/media/DART-West/Emerging%20Preferred%20Option/Coolmine-aerial-view.jpg

On the left you can see these steps beside the 'roundabout'/drop off point.

In my submission I did suggest that the sides of the bridge NOT be concrete as this would prevent someone approaching the bridge from seeing whether there were people hanging around along the bridge. This is not what is shown in the above image. I guess Irish Rail will say that it prevents people from aiming stuff to throw at a train. I said that the pedestrian bridge over the M50 at 12th Lock/tennis club is wire and has thousands of cars passing under it without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Apologies for the slightly off topic post, but is it still possible to hop on the trains from Castleknock to town without buying a ticket online in advance?

Hoping to make my first trip in the COVID era...😳

You never had to buy online for that trip - only Intercity.

Just use LEAP or buy at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

REMINDER - last closing date for submissions for or against the CLOSURE OF COOLMINE CROSSING/PORTERSTOWN CROSSING/CLONSILLA CROSSING

to Iaranrod Eireann is close of business THIS WEDNESDAY 6th OCTOBER 2021.

Alternatives to this extreme measure are suggestions to speed up the opening of crossing gates e.g. as is done on the DART LINES - where vehicular crossings have NOT BEEN CLOSED in busy community areas. Another suggestion - Iaranrod Eireann's OPTION 10 suggested placing an vehicular pathway UNDER current Coolmine Train lines and over the Canal - to allow traffic to proceed over the Royal Canal without impeding train traffic. Iaranrod Eireann removed this Option advising infrastructural reasons. Most likely they were cost-related.

This will cause daily congestion at Laural Lodge Junction, Diswellstown Junction (next to the fly-over bridge) and Carpenterstown Road near College Gate.

It will also directly impact the Residents of Cherry/Maple and Sycamore Estates whose roads exist using Sycamore Avenue. This will become a 'short cut' of 5-6 blocks for traffic wanting to cut ahead of congestion on Carpenterstown Road. It has happened in the past and will happen again. Watch the road works at this location starting tomorrow...

Please make your submissions - with courtesy, in as short as two lines to:

https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/projects/dart-west/public-consultation-round-2/how-to-engage-contact-us

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

There's a bridge being offered, you've been told on other threads why it's not possible to retain the crossing and increase the services. I hope you fail (and I say that with no ill will to you)

No, the bridge is off the table.

Iarnrod Eireann have said they don't want to retain the crossing. That does not mean it isn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I hope they don't give in to any unreasonable demands from locals. It's an attempt to optimise the rail line so inevitably residents nearby will be disaffected to some degree. The aim is to improve the rail service, not a minority who happen to live nearby.

By all means listen to what they have to say, but there needs to be an objective view taken on it from those in Irish Rail based on a cost-benefit analysis of all options.

I see there's big objections to the Ashtown proposals because a stable will be demolished as a result. To abandon the current proposals to save a stable that could be relocated elsewhere is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

An alternative crossing must be proved for somewhere between Clonsilla and Castleknock. Dr Troy Bridge would become a major bottleneck, impacting the roads along a hugh part of Dublin 15.

How come Ashtown has a tunnel proposal and not Coolmine area.

Anyone at any of the public meetings with the local politicians. What was the general opinion?

It pretty much is impossible to retain the level crossings with the frequency of rail services that is planned.

• Advertisement

Basically it's because the road and canal are at the same level at Ashtown so the tunnel doesn't need to go too deep.

At Coolmine, the canal is five or ten metres below the road, so the tunnel would have to be probably 20 metres below ground. And as a former quarry, it's all solid rock.

I don't think a tunnel is viable for Coolmine at all.

Well, no, it's a rubbish solution but it is possible. There's no good solution at this particular location and keeping the crossing isn't any worse than the others.

What about the option in the first consultation where the track was lowered so that it would run under the current level crossing?

It was ruled out because of cost but would it be really *that* expensive?

I cycle along Coolmine Road a few times a week and it is my least favourite road in the area because I am frequently overtaken closely. It's intimidating and over scary. With the level crossing closed it will become a nice road to cycle along. Maybe the increased traffic on Dr Troy Bridge might make some others realise that cycling to St Francis Xavier school or Tesco or Supervalu or Blanch Centre is better than driving.

It is worse to retain the level crossing because it’s pointless given that the gates would be virtually permanently shut to road users, and at the same time consequently adds a totally unnecessary complexity to the signalling on the railway.

The gates would be down the whole time for the duration of rush hours, then it would be grand for the other 80% of the day.

The alternative of sending all the current traffic to one of two other busy bridges doesn't just inconvenience the residents in the immediate vicinity, it will shaft literally everyone in D15 who needs a car or bus to get around.

You are correct though, it would add complexity to the signalling and that's why IE don't want to do it. But it is 100% not an absolute prerequisite for the project that all crossings be closed.

In my opinion a lot more people think they NEED their car than actually do. If those that didn't truly need the car changed to walk/cycle/bus then there would be less shafting. It really depresses me to see so many people being driven 1.5km to school, including plenty of secondary school students. There are a lot of safe routes to school, especially as you can cross parks and through estates that cars can't.

Plenty of room to put tunnel in place at Stationcourt/Riverwood. Just needs to be longer to go under canal. Less unsightly and disruptive than bridge for local residents.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and how much would such a tunnel cost?

Simple truth is that it is not going to happen, especially considering that there are two bridges within a few hundred metres on either side of your proposed location (as the crow flies)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

I wonder how many people actually use the stables at Ashtown, compared to the number of people who would benefit from a better rail line? The place always looked deserted to me, but suddenly it's an important amenity? Just move it somewhere else then.

• Advertisement

Don't know where you're getting your few hundred metres from.

Dr Troy Bridge is 685m from Coolmine as the crow flies and Castleknock Rd Bridge is 1.53km as the crow flies (much longer by road, and similar distance from Ashtown to Rathoath Rd Bridge).

Both Dr Troy and Castleknock Road bridges under capacity for the vol of traffic at peak times. D15 will be gridlocked.

We had more canal crossings in the 1800's that we'll have in 2025.

Advertisement