Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

This is completely normal in any market. When price goes up it goes up for all stock in the system. Only a fool would sell his stock at old price.

When there is a price drop only a fool would buy at old price, no matter what supplier says. If they say will not pass on decrease until old stock sold they are just trying it on to catch out the innocents out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Looking at the fertilizer price tracker on the english farming forum urea is trading at 740 euro a ton for November delivery and payment now, its a runaway train at this stage on prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Ordered a palet of urea to feed to cows…they rang me back saying that it’s €1450/t, so I declined. Things are getting interesting 🤔.

Spot gas prices into Europe of €35bbnm mean nitrogen needs to be hitting near the above to cover costs plus margin, ain't going to happen unless the eu does a UK and cover the gas cost

There’s no appetite in Europe to go messing around with a major pollutant. It’s playing perfectly into their vision of an organic agricultural system…

• Advertisement

That goes without saying, what's the usual mark up on feed grade urea you where quoted for above and normal urea ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Gas prices are set on 6 month futures, whatever happens with supply the high price is locked In.

Europe put all it's eggs in the Gazprom basket and Moscow is now squeezing, expect major concessions in the next few months.

Problem is that a lot of next year will be gone before gas prices will be at a level it makes sense for a fertilizer factory to manufacture at.

There is no interest in the EU acting, they are not that fond of agriculture nor are they keen to act decisively or in a timely fashion.

Without strong action now, and maybe even then, nitrogen fertilizer looks like be unable to purchase in much of Europe next spring and to a degree worldwide.

Thank God there is plenty of silage in the country.

Still can't get my head around the bomb that's going to go off, next autumn when grain supplies start to be tallied up and the world will be facing a famine type scenario in huge swathes of the world on a scale not seen in half a century

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Was it sri Lanka where they decided to try and switch to organic overnight, and more or less fcuked the show there? The powers that be surely would see it coming down the tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Maybe might not be a bad time to reduce numbers..

They didn't see the renewable energy push and mothballing nuclear/coal/and in our own case peat plants Europe wide as a issue that could lead to the present day energy crisis,the most f**ked up thing is data centres currently been powered Europe wide to run Facebook Instagram tick/tock etc, are seen as fundamentally more important then creating fertilizer to feed people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,655 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There shouldn't be a famine, grain used in animal feed will be redirected to food production. It will cruify feedlot production of milk and beef, it will also cause issues to chicken, pigmeat and farmed salmon production.

Expect a corresponding rise in price of meat and dairy products. We have seen the effects of 2% swings above and below demand on dairy and meat product. We have never seen the effect of a 3-5% excess or shortage in these products. It could go above this

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reducing nos is grand tho Kev ….how many of us can afford to do so …..we all have debt and need x no of cows/ltrs to pay bills and survive also cost of living and running a house rising

Unless milk price starts to track fert/energy/meal price inflation all with the caveat the above will even be available, reducing numbers will be a given no matter what your financial commitments are milk at 35 cent a litre simply isn't going to cut it, if inflation keeps rocketing up...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Considering the prices for stuff it's not a bad option,especially not in calfs.i d be slow to reduce the milking herd Or let replacement s go below maintenance levels. That said I cleared out stock at the start of covid and while I did OK those cattle made nice money for the buyers afterwards.the question is what is the risk that relatively cheap feed you have now will be more expensive to replace next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What are the prices of the different fertilisers now? I know some have refused to quote but have others? Lots on this thread regarding the upward prices but very little in the way of the actual prices when ye were quoted. Should we have a table that we can maintain as people receive quotes or something just to track?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Nobody quoting, have heard it'll be December before they'll have em

Merchant's/co-ops can't quote for what they don't have and in all likelihood won't be able to acquire next year they aren't locking into product that is available due to price urea circa 740 euro a ton at the minute and sulpha can nudging 500 euro.

Sample prices paid here two weeks ago where 10 ton of cut sward at €450 a ton, and 8 ton of 8:5:18 plus sulpher boron and trace elements at €485, that was all old stock on hand and no new fertilizer was incoming with the tag line it's to dear at the minute and they where holding off till the markets cooled off

• Advertisement

Safe to say the much vaunted protected urea won’t sell much next year …

Anyone know what is happening in Southern hemisphere Australia, NZ, Argentina Brazil as they should be where we will be in 6 months or were these markets stocked up before gas price rise hit ?

It may well affect the global price of grain and bread in 2023. Hard to see how it won't even if fixed tomorrow.

The Arab Spring started off with bread prices rising.

It's unprecedented in most of our life time that fertilizer might not be able to be bought in Europe at any price and might be so expensive in much of the world that farmers can't buy it.

Be a good time IMO, something like a "drought" or "fodder crisis", no point waiting for the other lemmings to catch on and all jump together. I'll be shipping out 20/30 ewes from here soon.

Urea price in NZ pre sales tax euro 507 a ton

Seem that South America gets the Very most of its fertilizer from China.

So no phosphorus for them for most of next year.

The problem in Europe is that gas storage was left fall to Very low levels. That's the main reason, the change towards different energy sources plays a part but letting a continent wide shortage build was always going to be a problem.

Letting the people who sell the gas, store the gas and build the reserves was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,655 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If farming has taught anything I er the last 20+ years, it's thing that production levels will maintain profitability linked to efficiently. I am not saying panic, but I be reluctant to expect increasing costs to be paid my processor's and retailers unless there is a significant reduction in supply. Therefore maintaining supply using high cost inputs could break a business very fast.

In a way this could not have cone at a better time for grass based production. In the US and Australia drought has decimated beef output, in NZ regulation is hitting milk output. Countries like Brazil are dependent on Feedlots to feed there beef. This will stop there expansion in its tracks.

In Chinese danger and opportunity are the same word. This is danger but it also opportunity written all over it.

Slava Ukrainii

But but but…protected Urea is going to save the planet!

In times of inflation farming usually thrives. Stagflation is the enemy. I’m enjoying this little period of inflation while it lasts.

Irish and UK farmers seem to be feeling the brunt of inflated fert prices. Here, there doesn’t seem to be the same alarm at all. If it comes to it, I can easily cut N by 50% and be fine. Farm produce will rise in price. It would be even better if production falls..here’s hoping!

[Planting clover this afternoon..].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

• Advertisement

But but but ….u have something vast majority of us here don’t ….scale and pretty big scale ….combined with multiple enterprises and the benefits that brings ….then there’s your climate ..

Advertisement