Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons For Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

He was on thin ice anyway with the Shareholders, this might be the straw that gets him sacked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

More info about the scumbag company that some people seem to think should be welcomed in Ireland

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/mar/24/wetherspoons-denies-abandoning-staff-in-coronavirus-crisis?CMP=share_btn_fb
    The company’s outspoken chairman, Tim Martin, has faced criticism for playing down the risks of people gathering in pubs during the pandemic and insisting that the government was wrong to shut them down over the weekend.

He aroused the ire of workers and MPs after sending a video message to staff telling them they would no longer be paid after Friday while the company works out details of a “furlough” scheme under which the government will pay 80% of wages.

He advised them to seek work in Tesco, which is hiring staff to help it meet the country’s need for food delivery and distribution, if they needed employment in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭JohnC.

To add to the fun, it's now confirmed they're refusing to pay suppliers until the pubs reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

JohnC. wrote: »
    To add to the fun, it's now confirmed they're refusing to pay suppliers until the pubs reopen.

Utterly disgusting behaviour by a company that has plenty of cash

The Sports Direct of the pub trade.

Two fingers to the staff and their suppliers. How anyone can support such a self centred, selfish egomaniac is beyond me.

I for one will never set foot inside a wetherspoons again in my life - that includes the UK airport ones I would normally be in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i love all the bad comments, funny

jesus you have all been sucking Weatherspoons off for the last year or so,wanting them in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

robtri wrote: »

jesus you have all been sucking Weatherspoons off for the last year or so,wanting them in Waterford

Not me,
    always hated the pub chain, this merely confirms my hatred

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

robtri wrote: »

Yeah, it's really crazy that people in Waterford would be excited by a new business coming to the city.
    Many people have now changed their minds, based on recent events, nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

They will still open here and their overall business will actually get stronger in the long run. People will still go to them. Many "normal" pubs won't come back from the medical emergency, particularly in the UK where a lot are tenanted.

One thing that will happen is that Tim will get the push by his fellow directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Darren Skelton received confirmation from Wetherspoons today that work will begin on The Arundel Gate on June 28th with a view to opening on Dec 14th.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dexpat

gscully wrote: »
    Darren Skelton received confirmation from Wetherspoons today that work will begin on The Arundel Gate on June 28th with a view to opening on Dec 14th.

https://waterford-news.ie/2021/06/14/jd-wetherspoon-confirm-start-date-for-waterford-pub/

Thanks. Here's the confirmation from the N&S.

Whatever you think of the types of pub or the owner, it is certainly good news.
    It will bring more life into that part of the city centre outside shopping hours and reduce the number of vacant premises on John Roberst square. The entrance from Arundel Sq will help lift that area too.

Weatherspoon don't have the best reputation, but from my limited experience of the pubs they have done in Dublin, the quality of the design and finish on them has been very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Dexpat wrote: »
    https://waterford-news.ie/2021/06/14/jd-wetherspoon-confirm-start-date-for-waterford-pub/

Thanks. Here's the confirmation from the N&S.

Whatever you think of the types of pub or the owner, it is certainly good news.
    It will bring more life into that part of the city centre outside shopping hours and reduce the number of vacant premises on John Roberst square. The entrance from Arundel Sq will help lift that area too.

Weatherspoon don't have the best reputation, but from my limited experience of the pubs they have done in Dublin, the quality of the design and finish on them has been very good.

Great news if it actually happens.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Great news if it actually happens.

I'd actually question what the good news is?

An employer that treats its staff as crap, an employer who hates the EU, something that is out of step with over 80% of the Irish population. A boring chain pub.

It'll be a sad day when people would rather go to one of these pubs then a local pub.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's possible for it to be a kind of crap pub and an improvement at the same time. Especially when we are talking about a few derelict units bang in the middle of town.

I'd hazard a guess that The Gingerman will end up doing more trade as a result.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'd actually question what the good news is?

An employer that treats its staff as crap, an employer who hates the EU, something that is out of step with over 80% of the Irish population. A boring chain pub.

It'll be a sad day when people would rather go to one of these pubs then a local pub.

I meant more in terms of tidying up the buildings left empty and looking bad. “A boring chain pub” is a pretty broad sweeping statement in fairness. May not be your cup of tea but plenty of people might be into it. Also, in terms of the overall John Roberts Square area it is good news. It will add to the things open after 6pm which that area needs. But, yes, the owner is a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gw80

7 years this thread is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dexpat

gw80 wrote: »

Yeah mad when you look back on it. Seems to be par for the course for anything in Waterford these days. At least this time it looks certain and they are advertising for staff and are starting construction in two weeks. I thought Covid had killed it off for a year or two.

I know there is not a lot of love for them and Tim Martin, but I think people will be pleasently surprised by the end result. I was reluctantly persuaded to meet a friend a couple of years ago in the Silver Penny in Abbey St in Dublin. The finish and decor was excellent and there was a wide range of people and ages. It wasn't at all like the cheap boozer I was expecting. I'm sure the Waterford one will be similar. People don't have to frequent it if they don't want to but as others have said it will liven up that part of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

gw80 wrote: »

About as long as the north quays also!

I wonder what the next bone of contention will be? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

About as long as the north quays also!

Hold on now that thread has hit puberty, had acne, got the shift, doing the leaving and flying the nest soon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see their ploughing through the works, they were in on site today which was a positive sign

They've been there for a couple of weeks or more.

• Advertisement

I see a couple of old shop signs have been uncovered

I can't say I've ever heard of Odeon Cafe, but Flanagan vaguely rings a bell. What was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,272 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wasn't Flanagans the fish shop

Yes it was, remember it well. Same Flanagan's still in the Ardkeen Shopping Centre.

Odeon Cafe was before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

There are nice paved areas to the front & rear of the new Wetherspoons premises.

Should provide a nice platform for bare knuckled boxing et al for the proles after a rake of cheap pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Building work seems to have stopped on Wetherspoons and site boarded up. The 'Opening December 2021' notice on the hoarding has the 'December 2021' bit covered over........

Some Bloody viking prob left a sword or something there and its only been discovered now

Knew that Dec 2021 opening would not happen, early-mid 2022 opening im guessing

Amazed nobody has mentioned it,

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58758701

[quote]JD Wetherspoon has reported a record annual loss after Covid lockdowns saw its pubs shut for 19 weeks.

It posted a £154.7m loss as sales fell sharply in the year to 25 July, after a £34.1m loss a year earlier.[/quote]

The man was an utter prick to his employee;s, anyone willing to support him isn't really in a place to be critical of the treatment of employee's by employers. He also hates something Ireland historically has has the highest support for...the EU. His views are out of step with well over 80% of the Irish population on that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,256 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

spotted that during the week, forgot to post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Advertisement