Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varadkar hits the right note for Landlords

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

1.5 hours to Palmerstown and another 1.5 hours to Merrion Square. Strokestown is a remote place and fuel prices are rising. Post offices, banks and small shops are closing in smaller towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Plenty of people can work from home now and not everyone needs to go to Dublin to work, it all depends on what one wants in life I suppose.

Crippled with a big mortgage, stuck in traffic for hours, having to bring kids to school, And I'm saying this as someone that lived in cities for the best part of 30 years, I can see more upsides than downsides, but each to their own I suppose.

For people who can work from home the time to get to Palmerstown is irrelevant. Living in a small village with no banks, clothes shops, convenience stores, local GP means everything is done by car. In cities there is public transport and all kinds of amenities are accessible locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The public service will probably allow working from home virtually fulltime for lower paid clerical staff. A lot of companies are opting for hybrid with two days a week in the office.

If you need to go into the office only two days a week a 2 hour commute is doable especially if the days are together and you have the option of overnight accommodation in Dublin from a relative or friend.

Slava Ukrainii

If population returns to small villages the services will return. Even if not there are few villages that are more than 10 miles from a decent sized town. Even smaller towns now have a Lidl or Aldi along with maybe a Tesco , Dunnes or SuperValu. You will only be buying you milk or the odd item you run out off.

Just glancing at Strokestown on Google maps, there is a SuperValu and Eurospar in the town, a Garda station( with limited opening I imagine) a Chinese and 2-3 businesses marked on it. Interestingly there was a golf club on the outskirts. There is primary and post primary education as well as a GAa and soccer clubs. There is a medical center.

This is not the ar5rhole of nowhere, it a urban center admittedly on a smaller scale. I saw 1-2 comments about PO closing, they are now become banking hubs for AIB and BOFI so this will help there survival. I have noticed that as smaller Post Office's have closed the remaining ones are getting busier

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

You will be waiting Along time for strokestown to be come any sort of town where people would choose to live

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Didnt stroketown stop a well known bank who has exited market now to reprocess a house about 4 years ago

No, the same people would rather moan and complain about the price of houses and not being able to get on the property ladder, blame vulture funds, blame the government, nothing new there.

Some services will not be coming back to smaller villages. Banks are closing everywhere for good. Lidl and Aldi are not interested in smaller towns. The GP retires and another can't be found. What you don't see in Strokestown on Google Maps is a shoe shop, any kind of clothing shop and electrical retailer. The local bank of Ireland branch has just closed. Strokestown is just a dormitory village. People have to drive to other towns constantly.

First off it has a medical center. There is a huge move to provide primary care centers in towns. Not only will you have a doctor you will have multiple doctors working from that primary care center.

As you say banks are closing everywhere...that means everywhere. I seldom go into a bank now, the only issue is actually an ATM, however I can carry out some normal banking transactions at local PO, such as cash withdrawals, cash and cheque lodgements not just in towns like Strokestown but in most villages as well. I lay 10-1 there is a decent sized credit union in the town if not it's the only town in Ireland without one.

Clothes and shoe shops you can buy both online. However how often do you go clothes shopping. You get away with it monthly. I live in a small village, however I pass through towns at least once a week and I am in Limerick city at least once a month. You are incorrect about Lidl and Aldi they are actually expanding into towns.

Just to give an example in Limerick, Abbeyfeale has a Tesco and an Aldi, Newcastlewest has a Tesco, Aldi, Lidl and a SuperValu. There is none in Bruff and Kilmallock yet but I bet there will be in 2-5 years. However 5-6 Mrs from Killmallock is Rathluirc, it has a Dunnes, SuperValu, Lidi and Aldi. Like Newcastlewest and Abbeyfeale it has multiple shoe and clothes shops. That about 8-10 minutes away on a normal day The biggest issue Supermarket development now faces is planning and site availability as LA's are pushing more and more for development to be within these town centers.

In other words your perception is completely false about the reality of lifestyle in Rural Ireland. If you pay in the area if 250k ( in these types of towns) for a dwelling house you can well afford a car. And in fact at present you will buy houses in these area's for sub 200 k

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Here is what is happening to GP services in rural areas. Small towns are being stripped of services. You live in a small village so you try to convince yourself you have everything. I know people living not far from Strokestown. They regularly travel 26 miles for a hird-do. A 52 mile round trip. People want to rent in small villages because there is not suitable rental accommodation available in the towns. They don't want to buy and leave themselves stranded.

https://tippfm.com/news/healthhttps://tippfm.com/news/health/templemore-gp-issues-raised-dail/

That is women for you, I now a few in our area that go to the. Ity to get there done even thought I. My locate village there is 4-5 hairdressers operating two beautician and there is a barber as well. TBH you have not got a clue

Slava Ukrainii

You can't understand why people don't want to buy in a village. To me it is obvious. people do not want to commute and have to travel long distances for goods and services. Fuel prices have risen massively in the past year with further hikes threatened for diesel. Who wants to commit themselves to motoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Some people dont want to buy in a village.

Some people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Have a guess who the target example is.

Also I note the discussion here about the LL selling up. RTB/threshold etc are selling a service and they are warping the relationship between LL and tenant. Threshold should be renamed to overhold and perhaps RTB can stand for Right of Tenants Board.

I do not think I ever said that. I just a analysised the price of the houses in Strokestown and you or another poster said noone would want to live in Strokestown and went on an incorrect rant about lack of amenities and services in towns and villages like Strokestown. As I pointed out every one of you assumptions were incorrect. Just like you last one about cost of car transport. When you factor in the massive saving in buying in a town or village compared to living in rented accommodation in a larger urban setting, there is only one winner if you have the option

As I said earlier in this thread, that house is 100 k+ under build cost and will I crease in value by 50+% over the next 5ish years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If there was only one winner, villages wouldn't be struggling and cities bursting at the seems. The prices reflect that reality.

But if you can escape the rat race, you'd be mad not to.

I didn't say nobody would want to live there. I said nobody would want to buy therE, which is in fact the case. People are prepared to rent, nobody is making an offer. Running a vehicle is an ongoing expense compared to paying for a house. The savings will disappear rapidly. Many people in the cities live without cars at all and some Morley run a very basic small car. Living in a remote village means running a good reliable car with consequent expense. The market agrees with me, not you for all your talk about the advantages of small villages.

Must me some hairdo if they had to travel that far with 4 or 5 hairdressers in Strokestown.

I don't get the stranded thing, now if I was living in a city paying 2k a month on rent and nothing suitable or affordable to buy I would be looking at buying something in some town or village around the country and having a mortgage for less than half the rent you would be paying, I would give it a few years to let the market settle down and then decide whether country living is for you, while it works for some, others never get used to it.

Now, what do you do with the house you bought, well the way I look at it is if you can buy a house for less than half the price it cost to build you will never go wrong, So you can sell up with a tidy profit or maybe keep it for a rental. at least you have something after a few years instead of throwing 24k a year down the drain. but as usual, I'm going to be told I don't know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Hontou

You do know what you are talking about. It is a reasonable rule of thumb that I follow too: If it can be bought for less than it costs to build then you should be ok. (all other things being equal such as ok neighbours, stable enough interest rates and inflation)

• Advertisement

Watching last Thursday weeks cheap Irish homes. There was a three story townhouse in Gorey for 150k. Decor was a bit dated but house was in vgc it was the house that the lady looking for a house choose as the one she would follow up.

Assuming you had a deposit of 30k your repayments would be 600/ month. Looking at daft around Gorey there is a mixture of two and three bed houses for 2-300k. A 25 year 250k mortgage would cost about 1100/ month. There is options out there it's a matter of seeing if it is practical in one's circumstances

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yes disgraceful behaviour. We all pay for this lawlessness in higher interest rates. International banks don't want to do business in Ireland for residential mortgages.

I would think this is typical of may towns of similar size in rural counties. Bit by bit, the services go, the footfsll drops and new business cannot be attracted.

Gorey is not an isolated town. Its growing town, a reasonable commute to Dublin and in range of all the holiday traffic on the sunny south east. It's long been a place people move out of Dublin to.

This is not true of many other rural locations. No matter how you talk it up.

That is where you are wrong. Around large urban centers there is many of these towns that are commutable with working from home.

Slava Ukrainii

Of course there are towns like Gorey with similar characteristics. But a few of you are talking up towns (and counties) with none of these characteristics.

Sure you can make it work. But it's not for everyone.

Advertisement