Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can see the argument in favour of doing it as required but we already have them so why not just leave them on the shelf? From everybody's perspective it would be wise to move forward, away from the word emergency in any shape or form. Where COVID stands at present I don't believe it merits that type of attention anymore. By the end of this month we'll have already used up the best part of a month anyway so it is becoming something that really doesn't need to be fixed. The reality of such an emergency session would be the protocol of the opposition speechifying, but rowing in behind the government anyway, a version of the current box ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

I mean there's no chance of respiratory illnesses increasing as we move into winter, right? And this vaccine pass isn't going to be used as a tool to "coerce" people to get a booster for example to keep their pass active? I mean, we've only ordered millions of extra doses for the craic.

Wouldn't trust this shower with these powers as far as I could throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is no suggestion that boosters will be encouraged in any other groups apart from those already stated. Despite whatever Israel is up to it is a good call to hold off on such a plan until we get to 12 months plus data on vaccinations. While people will continue to catch COVID, it is no longer the novel coronavirus it was in January 2020 and our immune systems should be able to generate some level of response to it. On top of that there's a lot of work going on in therapeutics, specifically antiviral tablets and they will begin to come to the fore. 

Not at all. The rate of change was the key last October not the level of cases. Coupled with the vaccine reducing spread and significantly reducing severity where it fails to reduce spread, we are in a far better position than last October where it was doubling every 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

This year and last year are not in any way comparable for obvious reasons. Seriously are you taking the piss here or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

I don't understand what you mean? We're at higher case rates than at this point last year, and we haven't hit peak flu season yet. So what's your issue with what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can be paranoid if you want, but as is_that_so points out, by 9th November a month will have already passed in this extension, and there isn't even the slightest inkling that boosters will be rolled out to anyone except the medically vulnerable. In fact, the infrastructure to carry out these campaigns is being slowly stood down.

If there was a plan in place to drive a mass campaign of boosters, in a way that's acceptable, they're already two months behind schedule.

Or to put it another way; if they brought in "indoor dining for the boosted only" when less than 1% of the population has had their boosters and are not likely to have access to boosters in the next 6 weeks, the legislation will be completely ignored. Vaccine certs worked only because a majority of the population were vaccinated at the time, and the rest would be vaccinated (or have access to vaccination) shortly after vaccine certs came in.

Policing in Ireland is still fundamentally by consent. People will ignore the law en masse when that law makes no sense or cannot be reasonably applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

The link between cases and hospitalisations has been broken.

I don't see figures for hospitalisations, but to my understanding, absolute daily case rates and deaths (here and elsewhere, e.g. UK) are higher now than at this point last year, when we were under similar restrictions (i.e. level 1/2), and with no vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You must be itching for a lockdown , eh? Did you forget about last xmas? 2.5k in hospital and something like 90+ deaths a day at one stage. Not to mention it was a less transmissable strain.

We only have 3-400 people in hospital. Covid cases are also dropping and we have now more freedoms than we ever had since the pandemic began. Vaccines work, the proof is out there full stop.

Stable or slow decline with low proportion of hospitalisations vs rapid growth and high proportion of hospitalisation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by vaccines work. It's like your mam sprinkling holy water on you and if you return intact from your holiday she declares that the holy water 'worked'.

Data curves in Israel and Singapore (particularly them because similar population size and heavier vax rate) is saying the diametric opposite in a very clear fashion. They are ahead of us in their programmes so that would not augur well for the upcoming Irish winter. Irish winter in hospitals is hell anyway, not that lockdown fixed anything either of course. We just have to get people to bolster their own health. The state can't be expected to put its finger in every dyke hole. I'd like to see obesity addressed more by people themselves - a very obvious and changeable underlying condition. It's not too early to start that now.

You must be itching for a lockdown , eh?

No?

Did you forget about last xmas? 2.5k in hospital and something like 90+ deaths a day at one stage.

No I didn't forget. Did you forget that it isn't December? We're not at the peak of flu season, and we already have higher cases/deaths than this time last year even though nobody was vaccinated then.

I accept that it's likely that vaccination should lower hospitalisations and deaths. My point is that we do not know the extent to which it will do this, during flu season. Even with almost everybody vaccinated now, and similar restrictions at this point last year, we're at a higher case and death rate than at the same time. We should not be surprised to see the same December rise as last year, during winter months, with zero lockdown restrictions post Oct 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Derkaiser93

There's is much more open and for a longer period too than at any point last year, and a much lower hospitalisation rate due to vaccines. So you're not comparing like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I see you're still digging, how you can claim "scientific analysis" yet spout this is incredibly funny and farcical on your behalf.

Is your plan still only vaccinate the vulnerable, and just open everything up immediately? What is your latest brainwave?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,612 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This person is a "covert" anti-vaxxer, not saying what they really mean but trying to hide behind nonsensical analysis of data, always coming to the opposite conclusion of those that wrote the paper based on the same information.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah, about that...

"The Tánaiste has told a Fine Gael party meeting that evidence is stacking up that the country will need an extensive vaccine booster programme this winter."

"Mr Martin said that over the coming weeks medical authorities will look at expanding the number of cohorts who can participate in the vaccine booster campaign."

Enjoy not leaving your house after the 22nd. No big change then.

It's being ignored in Melbourne. That Andrews person said a few weeks ago that there would be a vaccinated economy and that if people weren't vaccinated then they would be locked out of the economy. It's being ignored in the US by Fauci: Rand Paul accuses Dr. Fauci of lying about natural immunity because it foils his vaccination plans | Fox Business

But I'm not talking about natural herd immunity. I'm talking about natural immunity. We are seeing people being coerced into taking the vaccine around the world, many of whom already have excellent immunity from having caught the virus.

• Advertisement

You're right. Can be easy to feel overwhelmed by it all at times. But it's important to focus on the positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

Yeah, like it says in the article;

He said a decision should be taken on the question before Christmas.

"Before Xmas". Not exactly a paragon of urgency there. By the time we get to Xmas, the emergency powers will have all of two weeks left to run and then they have to produce a whole new bill.

They're not going to suddenly turn around on 22nd October and go "Psyke! Actually you're all gonna need boosters now before you can go indoors".

Anyone who thinks that's even a remote possibility needs to go check themselves into St. Pats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,437 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How utterly predictable.

"there isn't even the slightest inkling that boosters will be rolled out to anyone except the medically vulnerable."

"Here are quotes today from the highest levels of government that say otherwise"

"Spin spin spin deflect deflect deflect"

Let me guess, if they announce a national booster plan you will suddenly be all for it and will say it was always going to be needed? Par for the course.

Hey, do you remember when you said "but a government can't hold onto emergency powers "just in case". It either is an emergency or it isn't"?

@bucketybuck wrote:

"there isn't even the slightest inkling that boosters will be rolled out to anyone except the medically vulnerable."

"Here are quotes today from the highest levels of government that say otherwise"

Imagine. Things changing over time. Incomprehensible. Any road, still no indication that they're going to be pushing it out to the much younger (< 60) cohorts, and ultimately the concept of needing a special "booster cert" is groundless.

Hey, do you remember when you said "but a government can't hold onto emergency powers "just in case". It either is an emergency or it isn't"?

Sounds like something I might have said alright. I've said elsewhere that I completely disagree with the decision to do it. What more do you want? Do you think I have the power to actually tell the government what to do?

Do you remember when you said that they would continue delaying reopening anything else until 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,068 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You are attempting to rope two different animals into the one coral on the basis they are somhow related.

You brought up Tegnell and Bhattacharya in relation to natural acquired immunity. Neither were interested in individual acquired immunity. It was all about how many would get infected to reach herd immunity. We now have a very good idea where we would be with serious illness and deaths had that policy been adopted rather than vaccines. As I said earlier, as far as I see naturally acquired has the same status as vaccinated. Especially where Covid passports are concerned.

Australia went for zero Covid, wasted the time that gave them to vaccinate and are now attempting to play catch-up. A Republican Senator having a dig at Fauci on Fox News isn`t exactly one of those eye opening events now is it ? Especially when the state he represents has a population of 4.5 million, has just 53% vaccinated and has a 7 day moving average of 2,400 new cases and 36 deaths. Something both the Senator and Fox for some reason failed to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Natural immunity is not recognized in the US though. My husband has had to get vaccinated if we want to stay living here, despite having had covid in August. There is no alternative to vaccination.

I didn't watch the video you mention but US is at around 56% fully vaccinated so that state isn't far off the national average.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So where do people this is going to progress over the winter ? 

To me this winter is crucial, how this winter goes will show how the next 5/10/20 winters will go, 

if we get through it with no restrictions and trust the vaccines and NOT use cases as a metric - rather hospitalizations - then I see this as the end, however if they start the yoyo of adding restrictions again as soon as cases rise, we are fucked, we will never get out of it since it is an endemic virus at this point.

Reason I mention it as I see Wales are introducing a vaccine pass from October 11 - the same vaccine pass that Ireland will dump on October 22 ? 

Why are they introducing these passes at the so called "beginning of the end" ? 

Also travel restrictions to the UK still seem fairly strict, I live in Spain and fully vac'd, seems I need to still go into quarantine and get multiple PCR tests if I go there ??? wtaf ?? 

Talk of Denmark and Norway re introducing restrictions as well this winter - hope it's BS... but again, we will be truly out of this if we get to next Spring as we are now ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,293 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The media need to play there part and stop all the scaremongering

Personal Responsibility from the 22nd Oct as we simply can't go back into a lockdown. People's mental health is already down the toilet and Lockdown 4 would be cruel in that regard

Advertisement