Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart + (Coolmine LC closure issues)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

Locals will have their say on the locations of the crossings and the layout of them.

The Level Crossings are not the property of the "locals" and they have no greater power over them than anyone else.

And lets clarify that by locals you mean drivers

And lets square arrogance where it belongs, in those that believe their personal view of how level crossings work should supercede the needs of an entire region and the knowledge of rail engineers,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Back seat modding is not acceptable. That applies to both TheValeyard and yascaomhin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Locals as in those living and commuting, walkers, bikers, wheelchair users, scooters, drivers. I quick trip to blanch or Roselawn suddenly becomes a Trek around Troy Bridge or Laurel Lodge.

I forsee another large backlash over this proposed closer.

All Eyes On Rafah

"Oh no!"

Not a few extra minutes!

How will we cope?

Sorry but it's the same tired story across the city. Car drivers who use other people to hide their own selfishness whilst presenting extra minutes to a car journey as the end of the world. It's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Road congestion adds more lost time than a closed LC does.

At least you know the LC is closed, but the congestion is unpredictable.

• Advertisement

Once again, trying to shame people because 'cars' I like how you just ignore every other type of wheeled traveller.

Cars bad m'kay.

Whats ridiculous is you thinking you can just remove a busy road that people use for shopping, work, travel throughout the D15 area and not face a backlash.

A third option will have to be found.

Do you live in the area or are you directly affected by this crossing closing?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 68,644 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The LC is closing - there is no way around that. Its either the bridge that was rejected outright by the residents or the pedestrian and cycle bridge which it appears the darling residents don't want either.

Any "third option" still leaves the LC closed.

I don't know how easier I can put this, but the same excuses you are using for D15, the same people use everywhere.

And the same attempt you make to "think of others" is the same attempt made by others.

I am simply not gullible enough to fall for your selfishness dressed as concern.

Sorry but no.

Like I said earlier such an arrogant reponse. I'll take it you're not affected by this since you dodged the question.

I'm glad the residents associations and local TDs will oppose this.

I see the road staying open.

All Eyes On Rafah

The road won't stay open (hilarious as it would be to leave it "open" but have the barriers actually down all day - its unsafe and the signaling complexity incompatible with the line capacity required)

Locals need to realise that their convenience does not over-rule safety.

Varadkar opposing this is a disgrace on a national level. O'Gorman opposing (if he does - I doubt it) it would be sufficient to suggest he should resign from the party.

If the residents are so opposed to this, they could just stop being opposed to the original replacement road bridge that was canned due to such opposition.

• Advertisement

Yes I seen you called me arrogant for not coddling you.

The level is closing because it is required to close to fufill the needs of the project as clarified in the Transport Strategy which is legally underpinned.

People in the area who drive everywhere, havingt o travel an extra couple fo hundred meters is not a good enough reason to damage the provision of sustainabel transport provision for hundreds of thousands of people.

The Level crossing is closing.

It won't be closing. There will need to be another solution. Particularly if local TDs (whom are in government) wish to retain their seats next election.

Road is needed. Alternative ideas are needed. Not to send all cars down to Laurel Lodge and clogg up that road.

All Eyes On Rafah

The LC will be closing. End of. Residents throwing time and energy away deluding themselves otherwise won't fix that.

"Another solution" to keep the road open will not cause the LC to be left open.

There was another solution but residents opposed it too.

It will be closing. You may have been used to an Ireland where sustainable transport options are placed below the personal needs of people who drive and create the traffic they complain about, but that time is over. Sorry, Have a nice day, please cease replying to me

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

As a Dublin 15 resident I hope that the DART is prioritised and if that means the level crossings are closed, so be it. I am not wedded to using my car all day every day.

Edit: I supported the alternative bridge proposal. That would have worked much better.

We will see wont we?

I dont see it closing. I'd sacrifice the electric rail to keep the road. Happy not to have Dart service if that's the case.

Residents are organised over this.

I know ye dont agree with it, but fine. Crossing will remain.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There can't be any level crossings left on the Maynooth line. Trying to bargain with the fact that the level crossing is closing will get us nowhere.

Residents of D15 will not be put in a position to oppose the DART+ upgrade for areas well beyond D15 - and the Navan rail line which also needs this enhanced capacity

The crossing is closing.

If you can think of some other plausible solution to keep a method of cars to cross the railway line there, come out with it - but the level crossing is closing.

If the residents didn't oppose the original replacement bridge this wouldn't even be an issue. But they did, and this is what they get. Consequences!

It's mad that we have to contest with people upset about a 6 minute diversion to improve rail travel in this country.

All the people who live in that area probably drive everywhere because "The public transport is bad"

But when you try to improve it, "No I need to drive everywhere"

Also, lets use accurate langauge.

It's not "residents" who are against this, it's "objectors". They do not speak to everyone who lives there,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If the residents are so opposed to this, they could just stop being opposed to the original replacement road bridge that was canned due to such opposition.

In fairness, the current bridge and its originally proposed replacement are in different locations. They are not really the same groups of people affected.

I'm know I'm a bit down on IE but the new bridge idea was absolutely crazy. Part of me thinks they floated it just so their real solution would seem more palatable. They couldn't really have thought it would fly.

• Advertisement

It's not just coolmine objecting by the way, Ashtown is the same, particularly in relation to the stables.

There is opposition to it at many of the community hub points.

An alternative idea will have to be found. Simple as.

All Eyes On Rafah

The Stables are a far more reasonable thing to complain about

Alternatives are fine. But they cannot be "leave the crossing open". That isn't an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

I think the impact of the LC closing on local traffic seems dismissed by many here. Together with the Humback bridge (HB) the Coolmine LC are the most used crossings of the greater residential area. Given the already limited capacity of HB, a LC closure will not just add kilometres worth of extra driving but huge traffic issues to which the local roads and junctions are not designed to deal with.

Creating a road bride over the crossing seems to me the most logical solution. Either over the crossing or in the near estate. For the few negatively affected houses at the current crossing, an inflated buyout of land or compensation should be offered and the problem solved.

I do agree that public transport is an essential service but with weak timeliness and its very high costs many will stick to cars regardless of these pushes which may inadvertently lead to higher traffic and emissions such as seen in reducing road capacity in various areas of the city.

The proposal for a second crossing nearby was opposed by the same people who oppose closing the level crossing.

The point of closing the level crossing is to ensure that there are aren't issues with weak timeliness and high costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭djan

I am aware of the proposals being rejected however as a local I would only be in favour of LC closure if a nearby road crossing is built.

I don't see how LC closure would solve timeliness and the extortionate costs of public transport in the country, given that they are fixed times and especially trains not having to deal with road traffic really shouldn't have recurring delays of 5+ minutes on a 30min track.

Except when the level crossings are there, they do have to deal with road traffic which ignores the orange and red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I'm a ten minute walk from the LC and it's useful to me and would be a bit of a pain in some aspects if it closed.

That said I also think DART+ is miles more important and if it means a longer walk to the shops or a bit more traffic in some estates, so be it. Hopefully it closes and we get this much needed service ASAP. Selfish residents who don't rely on DART+ will always object to a service that impacts them in order to appease the masses, it'll always be the way, I just hope they aren't listened to.

If cars obeyed the signals, then there is no problem because trains take absolute precedence - but of course they don't.

• Advertisement

Take a look at the delays and costs caused by (bad drivers crashing in to) Merrion Gates

Take any LC that is down more often than its up and you'll get frequent incidents.

Advertisement