Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It looks like the Saudi deal is still on the table and hinging on the case Ashley took.
    He’s just let go all of the shop staff employed at the ground which was part of the Saudi deal.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9467645/Mike-Ashley-closes-Newcastles-retail-store-makes-staff-redundant.html

On one hand I’m delighted he’ll be gone but I wish he was being replaced by a nicer regime than the last brutal Saudi one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Referee needs to protect ASM here these are butchering him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

This could be huge. Won’t get a better opportunity to win a game for the rest of the season. Could be 9 clear with 6 to play if they can see this out

Massive. Great day for Fabianski to lose the plot. Put the foot down, goal difference could yet be huge

Happy days now get Shelvey off Willock on for 2nd half cant afford a red card

Embarrassing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

That’s a big win for us, very close to being a complete disaster. Newcastle didn’t show up from halftime & after they equalised I was sure West Ham were going to score again. How Shelvey maintains his position in this squad is a complete mystery, he has an unnatural ability to make himself completely invisible in every game. We should have been controlling & dominating West Ham the second half. Two goals & a man up & we made it easy for them.

Fantastic to get the 3 points, I’ll be bouncing around all day!! :D

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    That’s a big win for us, very close to being a complete disaster. Newcastle didn’t show up from halftime & after they equalised I was sure West Ham were going to score again. How Shelvey maintains his position in this squad is a complete mystery, he has an unnatural ability to make himself completely invisible in every game. We should have been controlling & dominating West Ham the second half. Two goals & a man up & we made it easy for them.

Fantastic to get the 3 points, I’ll be bouncing around all day!! :D

That's our entire season summed up in a game very very good when we want to be but absolutely dreadful and pathetically managed like we were for most of 2nd half. Willock brilliant impact again he has to start over Shelvey.

After having time to analyse that the first half was almost perfect we completely nullified West Ham we were tactically spot on it was all about creating space for ASM and we did that time and time again and he punished them.

The 2nd half showed exactly why we need rid of Bruce he is a coward at heart and that is why he sent the team out to defend a 2 nil against 10 men a proper manager sends his team out to score the third and wrap it up look at how we played once the equalised we destroyed them could have had 2 more goals at least.

Bench Shelvey for the rest of the season start Willock and play with some freedom we're basically safe now let's play some football. There is the nucleus of a good team there we just need a manager and an owner to match. HWTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭fitzparker

First off, most Importantly we got the 3 points. 9 clear and the breathing space is the main thing.

First half yesterday we were excellent, controlled them and caught them on the break time and time again, Ritchie is really stepping up, reminds me of Gutierrez when he was outed and brought back in (funnily enough it was west ham he played in to keep us up!)

Then half time came
    the exact message I sent my brother was "if this half lasted 90 minutes we could be 6 up, the half will kill us and we will retreat, the game will finish 3-2 but it could be either team"

I knew what was coming, at 60 mins it looked like we had 9 men and they had 11, thankfully it showed character because if we gave that game away we didn't deserve to be in the league.

for the next few games id keep bringing Wilson on and rest ASM as much as we can (these 2 need to be bubble wrapped). the gap gives us space for a squad rotation and if we can squeeze a couple of draws then happy days. Bring in the likes of Manquillo, Carroll, Gayle.

The last 2 games we will then have a fully fit Wilson and ASM to tear Fulham and Sheffield United apart and finish the season on a high.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Insanity! A lot of that game was like watching a training ground match of forwards v forwards. Liverpool could (& probably should) have scored 7 or 8 with the chances they created. Such a weird game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

Dubravka from what I could see was key to keeping Newcastle in the game with a string of good saves. Would not have expected anything from today's game so another point closer to safety is great to see.

Was great to see the fight and battling spirit right to the end and for that alone we deserved a draw particularly after being robbed of a perfectly goal. We absolutely must sign Willock we haven't had a proper goalscoring midfielder like that in years.

Pathetic this we haven't touched the ball yet more than a few on the beach already

An absolutely disgusting performance this being throughly outplayed at home by arsenals reserves

• Advertisement

Amazing what happens when you play your best players and let them express themselves

My god I enjoyed 80 minutes of that haha seriously though we were excellent for most of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Re: Willock - I'll never learn my lesson to not fall in love with a loan signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

With a couple of exceptions you have to hand it to Bruce , it’s been a very good few months with some great results. He’s no tactical genius but his personality seems to make players want to give everything for him . A lesser manager could have lost the dressing room when we were spiralling towards relegation and players could have thrown in the towel .

Willock was a great loan signing and he has managed ASM and Wilson back to fitness pretty well to be fair .

Any hope we can hang onto either of those or Willock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

I can see Arsenal taking Willock back ASAP. With ASM and Wilson, who knows with Ashely and his buy cheap and sell for a profit policy. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them both sold on.

• Advertisement

We gave them as good as we got they scored some real quality goal but we had a plan and we were dangerous on the counter all night. They ran themselves into the ground if we get that every week there'll be little complaining. Willock must be signed. Matt Ritchie sets the tone for the whole team he is relentless very proud of the lads the last few weeks all we want is a plan and everyone working together to implement it and we're getting that now.

An enjoyable end to the season we finally have a style of play and a plan that suits our players it's actually refreshing to watch after a lot of dross this season.

Goals for the summer? Simple sign Joe Willock at all costs even if it takes all our transfer budget just do it pad the squad with freebies if needs be please please please sign Joe Willock. It's a long time since i've been so impressed with a player coming into our team he reminds me of Gary Speed and Frank Lampard.

its amazing the 3 at the back with 2 wing backs is what Bruce was trying to get rid of for the past 2 years as it was the "old managers tactics"

yet its the best formation we can play. imagine Schar, lejeune clarke/Dummett in there with richie one side and murphy the other, 5 lads at the back with confidence who can find a pass..... the dream

Was a great end to the season, signing Willock takes pressure off getting another striker, he reminds me of Gini, but I honestly think signing him is out of the question. with his stats Arsenal must be looking at taking him into the squad for next year.

Fingers crossed we do get him it will be massive

fitzparker wrote: »
    its amazing the 3 at the back with 2 wing backs is what Bruce was trying to get rid of for the past 2 years as it was the "old managers tactics"

yet its the best formation we can play. imagine Schar, lejeune clarke/Dummett in there with richie one side and murphy the other, 5 lads at the back with confidence who can find a pass..... the dream

Was a great end to the season, signing Willock takes pressure off getting another striker, he reminds me of Gini, but I honestly think signing him is out of the question. with his stats Arsenal must be looking at taking him into the squad for next year.

Fingers crossed we do get him it will be massive

The telegraph reporting today that we are putting a bid together and that arsenal still want to sell? I assume they need the money and Arteta has a list of players he wants to bring in? I hope that's true

Fingers crossed we can even mount a bid for him, id say his price has sky rocketed from January.

any idea of the figure, he is English so im assuming 20m +, the only thing is, 1 or 2 good seasons and we are in profit with him (falls exactly into Ashleys transfer policy)

Rumours of a 17 mil bid going in for Willock

hopefully its enough, I think they will want another 5m

Wages has been freed up for him anyway (Atsu,Carroll,lejeune) talk of Muto going aswell (he is on 50k) cant see him getting more than that at any other club.

I always harp on about it but Lejeune going is a big loss, Schar is 100% going when his contract ends next year.

our defence was finally somewhere to where we could build after it being terrible for the past 15 years. no we are going backwards with it

Fernandez and clarke will be 33 next season. leaves just Lascelles.

our youth set up is also one of the worst in the league so doesn't look anyone is coming through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Scunnthorpe mags are streaming tonight's game on facebook if anyone is interested: https://www.facebook.com/ScunnyMags/videos/624792771835856

25 million bid for Willock accepted by Arsenal seemingly Willock hesitant to sign on which is understandable given the shitshow we are these days but the club are confident he will sign. It would be a massive boost for us.

It looks like Willock will go through this week we need a striker and a midfielder for me I'd go for Barkley and Rondon as both are available however the club seem to want another CB to replace lejeune and are intersted in Phillips from Liverpool who are seemingly willing to take a 12million buy now pay later deal.

• Advertisement

An absolutely shambolic second half performance defensively Matt Ritchie at fault for at least 2 goals and as for playing Hayden as an attacking midfielder and leaving shelvey to mind the house another bruce masterstroke. We need Dummet back in at centre ASAP and Schar as well. Also what do they see in Krafth he's abysmal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭macraignil

I think the defending was poor at times throughout the game from Newcastle. I would have liked them to have brought back Danny Rose who was available for free as he seemed solid when I saw him playing. Lascellles or Schar could have been better options than Kraft. The midfield seemed to run out of energy in the second half and maybe Willock will help with this when he is ready to play. I think the penalty decision was a bit harsh on Newcastle as Murphy clearly won the ball and then they may have had a better chance of holding onto a point but as Bruce said they were easily caught on the break after that. Without bringing in some quality in defensive positions before the close of the transfer window I'm afraid this season will be another struggle to avoid relegation.

Such a strange game, super start and intensity. second half died a death.

our intensity second half was at the wrong times, went on a mad one at 3-2 trying to get back into it when there was still 20 odd mins left

Schar on the bench is incredible, I was baffled aswell with hayden further forward, although at least he can break astride to get there, Shelvey strolls.

For me it wasnt a peno either but West Ham deserved it in the second half anyway

Agree with both posters above re: Penalty a shocking decision and even worse the VAR people looking at it and agreeing its a peno?? do these ever overrule their referee mates?

Schar and Lascelles on the bench was abolutely incredible mismanagement from bruce.

This is our best line up we could go with (bar Dubravka, but woodman does a job)

I know it's early days but this game will measure up how we are looking for the season.

In fairness its the exact same squad as last year!!!!!!!!

One thing I hate is getting knocked out of the league cup

It is our only real chance, not of even winning silverware but getting somewhere to be excited about, a day out for us is a Semi final! we haven't had that in years

QF last year, a big chance of a Semi Final and brentford knock us out.

This year Burnley in the second round... who end up getting Rochdale at home. an easy chance at getting to last 16.

I would gladly finish bottom of PL to win something. id probably take getting relegated just to get to a cup final

Iv experienced relegation before, its not surprising anymore.

What did everyone make of the weekend? glad its over with and we don't have to endure the "ronaldo show" for another few months.

Premier sports were a disgrace, making United out to be the galacticos in the first 15 minutes.

Regarding us, I felt frustrated. obviously the goalkeeping for 2 of the goals was bad but why have Fernandez and Schar on the bench and start hayden CM????? really baffling, whats worse if the 2 lads were injured it shows how short we are to make numbers that they still need to travel to Manchester.

Neither Keeper really had work to do, we had a few chances still. Joelinton getting in, Longstaff not squaring to Willock annoyed the **** out of me and Almiron was brilliant but needs to be trigger happy, he had a few half chances he just didnt want to take... in comparison to ASM who just shot when he had the ball.

Our Transfer window was a disgrace and counting on Wilson so much will kill us and him.

Joelinton just isnt up to it, Gayle needs a chance id actually at this stage re sign Carroll on the same Pay as you Play deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

no idea why gayle does not get a look in, he can score goals and is leagues ahead of joelinton

saw rondon went to everton to loop back in with benitez also, guarenteed goals outta him

Seemingly Gayle and Jones had a barney at training presumably about Gayle not being picked ? Bruce had the gall to blame Hayden for Ronaldos second goal on Saturday nothing to do with Steve picking a CM at CB no? I absolutely detest Steve Bruce I physically hate the man it makes me sick that he represents our club and regardless of the wider Ashley problem it will be a great day when Bruce is sacked.

As regards the game tonight they have no centre backs and we have no strikers so it should be interesting to say the least I'd take a defeat if it meant getting rid of Bruce but sadly I don't think it will.

• Advertisement

Well the result was pleasing to be fair and how we answered going 1 nil down was pleasing as well I thought we were in for a hammering after 15 minutes as we were a shambles at that point.

ASM is on a different planet an unbelievable performance last night.

Hayden is our only CDM and we start him at CB again! Fernandez will hang around, but Schar will 100% look to leave. I would be sick if it was me watching a midfielder playing in a position you have done your whole life, not to mention Schar starts for the swiss who are 15th in the world!!

As soon as Hayden went into CM he planted a tackle on James that lifted the stadium, that then allowed willock freedom to go forward.

I feel for Willock, in a midfield 3 with Longstaff and Miggy... Longstaff is a headless chicken and Miggy has a free run, so Joe needs to sit which isnt his game!

You could see Jones doing all the talking last night, Bruce was like a rabbit in headlights

Joelinton is dirt, his touch is terrible, trips over the ball, winning less than 50% of headers (even though id say he is the tallest on the pitch)

Again Gayle nowhere to be seen, our only out and out striker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

BBC with a "poor Steve Bruce" article sickens me https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58605536

As soon as ASM goes well be in a relegation battle. ASM made 2 fantastic passes in the box last night, one the player fell over the ball the other the player kicked it at the keepers foot. Wilson is injury prone which is why he won't go to a top team which is "lucky" for us.

Yeah absolutely agree with all this once we moved to a 4 and put Hayden into his natural position we improved it's not rocket science like play players in their correct positions it seems to be beyond our beloved manager and chum of the pundits/media Steven Bruce though.

For me our best CB pairing is Fernandez and Schar and it baffles me that Clark is getting so much game time I thought both him and Lascelles were poor the other night and Ritchie at LB isn't working we need Dummet back there. I agree about Willock as well he is a proper attacking player and we can't afford for him to be Bruce'd like Longstaff has been.

I actually thought the turning point the other night was the Almiron chance in the first half it really lifted the crowd and players and showed Leeds could be got at.

Great to hear sustained Brucie out chants that needs to be heard loud and clear at every game he is not one of us he is not a fan and he is not fit to be our manager. BRUCE OUT!

100% agree with that, the 2 on the bench are our best pairing, Ritchie was roasted alot the first 30 mins, Raphinha should have went at him at every chance, he was on a yellow from the first tackle.

Lascelles is only getting in as he is the captain.

We have such a short squad that when the 23 was announced for PL season they put Wilson in twice (admin quickly amended it)

Its so easy for teams to plan against us, they literally need to look at last seasons match... the exact same squad and tactics!

Very frustrating that today could and should have won missed far too many chances. It is absolutely criminal that Dwight Gayle wasn't picked to start today our manager is clueless.

On the plus side our change of shape is bringing the best out of Longstaff again that was his best game in a long time Willock also played well.

From what I saw today with a better manager that team would be absolutely fine this season. As always BRUCE OUT!

PS Jacob Murphy should be fired into the sun for that miss at the end.

• Advertisement

Arbitration re: Takeover to be held on 3rd January and to take about a week so finally one way or another we'll have certainty from then.

No too far away, is this Newcastle trying to push the deal through or claiming against the PL for not allowing it to go through?

Are the Saudi's still interested? if so hopefully we aren't in a relegation battle by then and they are still interested.

The only way I can see that is with Bruce gone.

My understanding of it is that the CAT that started today is the one claiming against PL for not allowing it through and that the arbitration is the one where they will push for the takeover to go through and that the Saudis are still interested and offer remains on the table.

The issue seems to be that the consortium has to prove that the Saudi state won't be running day to day operations of the club surely that's easy enough I doubt MBS will be thumbing through the finer points of Jonjo Shelveys contract!!

At least one way or the other we'll know by the middle of January where we stand and if it's a no go Ashley an sell up to someone else as there are supposed to be others interested.

Craig Hope reporting that takeover is supposed to go through now following the resolution of the piracy issue between BEin sports and the Saudi government fcuk me I hope this is true as it's badly needed he is saying there might be no need for arbitration at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Please god let it be true, anything to be free of Ashley. This move could completely disrupt the top 6 order.

• Advertisement
Advertisement