Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening new bank account proof of address and ID

• 24-09-2021 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So as I understand to open a new bank account, you need to submit proof of ID, e.g. a passport as well as proof of address e.g. a bank statement, and that the name on both documents must match.

My passport name includes my first name, middle name and surname.

My bank statement has just my first name and surname only.

Would it matter that the name on the bank statement didn't include my middle name?

Thank you.

Comments

That wouldn't be a problem as long as they match on both in regards to the spelling of your name

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So long as the statement is recent it should be OK.

But do you really want them to know your financial affairs at another bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,009 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Do You really require a recent bank statement ?, a proof of Address should suffice, Utility Bill etc, obviously if you've no other POA then you may require recent BS.

I've recently opened new accounts Due to KBC winding down, i did not require recent Bank Statements. RE your Passport, Generally your First and Surname would only be used unless you stipulate otherwise. My middle name has never appeared on any bank statement I've ever had in over 30 years, not even on my Mortgage statements.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

That's absolutely fine. It's normal for people to have their middle name on proof of ID and not on their proof of address.

The OP never said they need to give a bank statement - they said they need proof of address, with a bank statement being the example they gave.

It's totally normal to use a bank statement as proof of address. Some people prefer to use something else, or some places will let you redact the transaction details, but tbh I can't imagine anything interesting enough to be worth hiding from someone who already has access to thousands of other people's bank accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thank you very much! Have a nice weekend 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

If you're on the electoral register, then that can be used for proof of address - bank can verify it on checktheregister.ie

Makes no difference if your middle name isn't on the proof of address.

Thanks so much everybody 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

You dont need proof of address anymore to open an AIB acoount if you do so online.

All you need is a passport.

https://aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/online-bank-account-opening

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And how do you meet the very first point on the check list you posted?

Many banks will allow you to open an account with them on line, transfer any amount into the account and even make some payments before they require you to provide proof etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I don't have an AIB account but did telephone them recently about opening one.

For proof of address, they post you some sort of verification code to your home address. You enter that via their app and that's the requirement satisfied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As per NewbridgeIR above, AIB will verify your address afterwards by posting you a code. This is a far more accurate way to provide proof of address and is also a lot easier for the customer than old-school methods. It's all in the video on that link.

Thanks. I have an appointment made to finalise things for setting up the new bank account with new bank. I was instructed to install the mobile app for the bank too.

What is the app used for?

Anyone know what usually happens at appointment?

Thank you

Thanks very much.

Got the app up and running today and opened my account and got my new bank details. I got a PAC code for the app also.

When approximately will I be posted the code that I need to enter via the app?

I wish to open a savings account in addition to the current account also.

Will I need to make another appointment to set up a separate savings account?

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

Have never opened accounts with the app before, so not sure of process, but you can easily do all that on the website for many years.

On the app, simply click on the "Apply & Open" and you should see all the products (loans, savings, overdraft, credit cards etc). I can't see any reason why you would need to call in to a branch (besides my mortgage, I haven't had to go into a branch to open an account since the 90's)

Thank you.

Does it take long to get the verification code in the post to enter on the AIB app?

Not sure (opened my first accounts bt with AIB when I was a child!). But would assume the code would be posted within the next business day. So this evening or tomorrow would be my guess.

Is it just the PAC code ( that I made up today during my AIB bank appointment) used solely for logging into the AIB banking app, or am I going to be posted out an additional verification code via post that I need to enter on the app?

From what I can gather, you will just use the code they post once (its just to verify your address). As for the pac etc, you can use them, or just fingerprint which is a lot easier

• Advertisement

Thanks.

From my understanding the P.A.C. code is just used to log- in to the app itself.

I logged into the app during my bank appointment and got the below message onscreen. Is this standard?

Can I set up a savings account via the app? How do I go about this please? Thank you.

Thanks guys, I got the code today in post..got it entered successfully on the app..

Can anybody tell me how I set up a savings account via the app?

I got 'Switching pack' documentation from AIB which included a form..do I give this completed form to AIB and do they set about transferring my funds from my old bank to their bank from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks can I do this from the app?

What info will I need?

I already have a current account open with AIB if that helps.

Advertisement