Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A lot of people in England would find this blunder funny, rather than getting outraged by it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It can be both too, notwithstanding your ability to know the mood of a nations. I laughed, but was also a bit aghast a grown man of apparent education didn't know the most basic definition of misogyny. Kinda undercuts ones credibility as a pillar of authority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well Sajid Javid cqme out with insightful approach to how the UK population should ideally approach their dealings with the NHS.

They should rely on family first....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/sajid-javid-health-nhs-family-b1932886.html%3famp

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Javid is a Randian objectivist so he's probably the worst person to be running his department, even for a Conservative. It's a philosophy which preaches that selfishness is a virtue and accruing wealth is the only thing that matters so it's a perfect fit for much of the modern British right.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Freedom to protest is a fundamental right our party will forever fight to uphold. But it must be within the law,"

Priti Patel

But in the same speech she announces the laws are being changed. A whole raft of tougher sentences and new offences.

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill - It will also become a crime to fail to follow restrictions the protesters "ought" to have known about, even if they have not received a direct order from an officer. Someone continuing to shout "peaceful protest" after can get done for £2,500

Progression - https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/2839

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/dominic-raab-misogyny-men-women-21775871

He then went on to add: "I think insults and misogyny is of course absolutely wrong whether it's a man against a woman, or a woman against a man."

Is what Raab actually said. So it's clearly a case of poor grammar in a live interview than doesn't know what misogyny means.

All seems a bit desperate for Twitter and The Guardian to jump on this on Boris day, but since it has been a controversy-less conference unlike the Labour one, I suppose there was no other option.

Whenever I watch Boris give speeches I have foremost in my mind those that hate his guts, imagine what they're thinking and get amusement from that as much as from his authentic quips. Particularly liked the 'levelling down' one (Labour aspiration of course) and insulating protesters in a prison cell. And on protesting I'd hardly think you can do whatever you like just because you're protesting, which seems to be what some people here think is right and proper.

I wonder if anyone in Labour watched that Brown/Blair doc on BBC. It would seem to me the position the Labour party are in today is exactly the same as the Kinnock/Thatcher era. If they did they might do well to take the approach Blair took back in his day, because as it is the Tory's are untouchable for the foreseeable.

Finally I wonder since Labour are not backing PR can we stop all this talk of Britain not being a democratic state when clearly it has been democratically decided they don't want PR.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The rejection of 'Alternative Vote' was not a rejection PR, but a stunt pulled by Cameron using a strawman to keep FPTP. No-one understood the question, so voted it down.

The UK is not truly democratic because the Gov of the day does not represent 50% of the popular vote, and apart from one coalition Gov (the only one) since 1932.

Even the EU insistence on PR resulted in a list system controlled by the political party who drew up the list. Even that was not democratic. The FPTP allows the party to choose the MP in a safe seat giving voters little or no choice, and the list system mirrors this.

So, no, the UK has a limited form of democracy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Labour should give consideration to PR because are losing the chance of a Majority in England.

Wales has seen Tory gains and constituency boundary changes that will mean fewer Labour MP's returned.

The Unionists in Northern Ireland won't back Labour but will back the Tories.

One thing that could blindside Labour is that if the Tories offer Scotland to the SNP to get into power there's 40 opposition votes gone and no chance of getting rid of FPTP for a very long time.

If PR was introduced in the UK, the Tories would win more seats in Wales and Scotland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I doubt Labour will ever consider PR for Westminster. They are more concerned about having power to themselves than the 15-20 years gaps that FPTP keeps them out of office.

PR isn't all that great either. It has just led to a fragmentation of the vote among smaller parties and independents that are pretty much the same as the larger parties. The system in the UK prevents this fragmentation. Much of the same really.

But they just did at their conference. The unions shut it down.

A much-anticipated motion at the Labour conference motion proposing to embrace proportional representation (PR) for future elections has been defeated as overwhelming support from local parties met opposition from mass union votes.

The motion, calling for the next Labour government to replace first past the post with a form of PR, was submitted by more than 150 constituency Labour parties (CLPs), and was the second most popular issue for the conference.

After an inconclusive show of hands in the conference hall in Brighton, a card vote showed just under 80% of CLP votes backing the motion. But the votes from affiliates – almost entirely comprising unions – were 95% opposed. The eventual result was nearly 58% against.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/27/unions-vote-down-local-labour-parties-call-to-axe-first-past-the-post

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If the UK went STV PR with 3 seats per constituency, then the number of MPs per party would closely match their opinion poll numbers. That would mean a coalition Gov. Now that is a recipe for the larger parties to split into smaller parties. Centre type parties would tend to find coalition easier to deal with, since they do not have extremes in their ranks.

However, neither Labour nor Tory see any advantages in PR or STV or multi seat constituencies as it takes power from the parties.

So democracy is not coming to the UK.

Same thing in Ireland. FF used to get around 40 to 44% and form a majority government. That is still possible here. Are we undemocratic?

Well, yes and no.

We are very democratic in that a party like the Labour party get 15% of the votes and 15% of the seats. Now our form of STV is unusual in that it is multi-seat.

This is a system that can be gamed, which large parties try their hardest to do, but that does not make it undemocratic. However, it is a transferable vote, so you can vote against as well as for. So counting just first preference is not the whole story. Mary Robinson got to be President despite not getting more first preferences than Brian Lenihan - but that is the system. She got the votes on the second count because more people did not want BL.

In the UK, few MPs get over 50% of the votes cast - even in safe seats.

Our multi seat system has led to our politicians showing up to funerals of constituents that they don't know, using their position to get medical cards etc etc. All of this stuff doesn't happen to any extent in UK. I remember a time when people here wanted single seat constituencies to eliminate parish pump politics.

There are faults with all forms of parliamentary democracies. The UK have had their system for centuries and don't see the point in changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This most certainly happens in the UK. Home counties and West Country Tories and northern Labour back benchers are pure parish pump politicians.

Practically every northern Labour back bencher has a picture of themselves on the soccer terrace dressed in flatcap, Leeds/Hull/Borough etc. scarf and Tories spend their time NIMBYing round the home counties backing whatever the local pensioners are moaning about

Coalition govts would mean that either Tories or Labour, like FF and FG here would always be in govt but their excesses would be tempered by having to deal with coalition partners and appealing to the centre or transfer voters. Compromise.

Yes multi seats it would remove power from the parties as there would no longer be safe seats since each MP's worst enemy would be any running mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What a wild and intentional misinterpretation. FF the party may have got 44% but then they formed a government made up of either independents or another smaller party that equaled at least 51%+ of votes. Like it or not, disagree with it or not thats a democratic government that the majority voted for.

Meanwhile in the UK there has been only 1 government formed that equated to a majority of votes in the last 100 years and ironically it was a coalition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The Electoral Reform Society did some analysis on the 2019 result based on the pr system used for EU elections and found the tories would only have won 288 seats using that method, well short of a majority. The so would be on 28 rather than 48. Lib dems and greens would be the big winners. I'd guess in a regular election a ukip or other far right party would comfortably muster 50+ seats and chances are they'd end up in a coalition with tories which, in a sense, is kind of what you have now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

jozza bozza speech yesterday was particularly devoid of detail and substance.

was almost like a stand up comedy routine - designed to get headlines in the like of the sun and the star

• Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The thing about analyses like this is that they tend to assume that, under a PR system, people would have voted in the same way as, in the real world, they did vote.

In fact this is unlikely. There's a real sense in the UK that, in 99% of constituencies, a vote for a party that cannot possibly win is a "wasted vote", and you use your vote most effectively by considering only the parties which have some chance of winning - which, in most constituencies, is just two parties. The likely consequence is that both Labour and the Tories get a much higher share of the vote than they would in any system of proportional representation, and all other parties get a much lower share. If the UK did adopt a more democratic voting system, people's voting preferences would likely shift in response to the new options open to them.

Of course it's not perfect analysis, that caveat is made in the body of the tweet above. In a pr system, the brexit party would have had far less imperative to stand down candidates so that's one huge caveat right there for starters.

Not only would the voting preferences change if the FPTP system was changed to a PR system, preferably STV system, but so would party structures change.

Labour Lefties vs traditional Labour Union constituencies could split to two parties. As could the Ultra Right Brexiteers in the Tories split from the One Nation Tories. So instead of two major parties, there could be six large parties and perhaps another half dozen smaller parties returning MPs.

Also, many MPs could move from one party to another, so the whole political landscape would change. It might not be more than coalitions are formed, and a more reasonable democratic Gov is formed and an end to majoritarianism - winner takes all.

I take your point. But in your earlier tweet you did say that the far right "would comfortably muster 50+ seats and chances are they'd end up in a coalition with Tories". That 50+ seats would probably come substantially the expense of the Tories - if the Brexit Party had 50 seats rather than the 10 projected, then the Tories would not have the 288 seats projected - so a Tory/Brexit coalition would probably not be able to form a government without the support of other parties, which might be hard to muster. Those who do not love the far-right positively loathe them, and viable broad-based coalitions that include far-right parties are pretty rare.

My comment about far right winning 50+ seats wasn't aimed at 2019 specifically, more in general. The brexit party would have won a good bit more than that, given they were polling into the 20s at one stage iirc. We can't be certain but i suspect the numbers would have stacked up.

I think the point here is that pr is definitely a good system and the most democratic, but you have to accept that the extremes will also be given the opportunity to develop and grow electorally. You only have to look across Europe to see that. People think the far right will never gain such traction in the uk, perhaps so but 50ish seats would seem quite plausible to me anyway. We'll probably never know anyway.

The far right have got signficant parliamentary representation in quite a few European countries and, yes, would do much better in the UK under a more representative system. They would certainly get more seats, even if their vote was unchanged from what it actually is, and there's a sporting chance that they would get more votes, because we've already agreed that minor parties in general would.

On the other hand, what you get less of in a more representative system is voting for a party that cannot win as a protest vote, or treating them as a "ginger group" - you vote for them because they cannot win, and your intention in doing so is actually to send a signal to one of the major parties that they need to pick up on some of the ideas of this party. So there can be minor parties whose votes would fall if they had any chance of winning, and far-right parties could be among them.

In the UK general election in 2015 in Wales (FPTP), UKIP, Plaid Cymru and the Lib Dems polled as follows: 13.6%, 12.1%; 6.5%. But a year later, in the Assembly elections (PR), the same three parties polled 20.5%, 12%, 7.7%. Obviously there's other factors at play there than just the difference between FPTP and PR, but it does underline the point that two minor parties performed better under PR, one of them hugely so, and the third - the far-right one - performed worse.

Well, the ukip vote did collapse in 2017 so I think any substantial electoral progress would be presupposed on them getting their act together, adapting to the system and pushing issues like immigration to the forefront. I'm not saying there's any huge appetite for them, and my earlier comment about them being in coalition is a bit ott as again that presupposes it wouldn't be anathema for other parties to do deals with them. But 7-8% seems plausible enough to me anyway, 40-50 seats ballpark figure.

The party really losing out is the greens. Polling round 5-6% but in a position where they can still only target one extra seat next time. I strongly suspect they might well outdo those polling numbers but it's still unlikely to make a blind bit of difference.

• Advertisement

There are numerous examples where FF won less than 50% of the popular vote and formed a majority government.

In 2011, FG secured 36% of the vote and won 76 seats. Had they got another 2 or 3% in the popular vote, they may well have won enough seats to form a majority gov.

So I don't know why you are being dramatic saying I'm intentional misinterpreting things.

The criticism of the UK system is particularly weird when it comes from Irish people given that our system of government is copied and almost identical to the UK one, the only exception being the form of voting.

Advertisement