Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metroid Dread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reviews are due tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I believe the review embargo is up tomorrow. Hopefully it scores high!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just finished Axiom Verge 2, so I'm ready to get stuck into Dread...

Hurry up Friday!

It'll be Sunday or Monday before I can get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

I just couldn't get the hang of melee counter in Samus Returns, spoiled the game for me. I do like the general look and feel, but will wait to see what gameplay is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I'm excited.

At last, hopefully a classic AAA 2D video game.

I'm tired of 3d open world collect em ups/shoot em ups/walking around ups/150 hours down the toilet ups.

😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yay tracking number from Smyths received!

Too much to hope it'll magically arrive tomorrow....?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just got my Smyths tracking number this morning! Hoping that it'll arrive tomorrow!

Since the announcement, I've played through Zero Mission, Samus Returns, AM2R, Super Metroid and Fusion.

Super is still the top line, but AM2R for me was so almost there, probably hampered most by the more linear structure of Metroid 2, compared to Super, but it brings in all the QoL stuff that came with Zero Mission and Fusion, and added some new stuff of it's own too.

Never played Metroid 2 but how does AM2R compare to Samus Returns?

I prefer it, tbh, but they both do their own things to expand on the original and take it in slightly different directions.

AM2R brought in some extra areas and some shortcuts between areas that work nicely, and it's more like the other 2D games in that you don't get free-aim and counter (which I think Samus Returns was overly reliant on, and buffed some enemies to push reliance on the counter). The Diggernaut boss fight in Samus Returns was the highlight of that game for me, whereas there were a few great boss fights in AM2R, and the final boss fight in AM2R feels much more epic due to it's structure, versus the same boss in SR.

SR added in a surprise boss fight that I wasn't particularly keen on either, as it felt a bit off, and more like cheeky wink than something that should have been there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was AM2R ever finished before it got nuked by Nintendo's legal department? I presume you can only get it now from "certain places".

It was finished when it was originally released. There's been just some patching since then, via AM2RLauncher, that has it at something like v1.5.2 where the original was 1.1.

They're working on a v2 that will be all original art assets, rather than some sprites pulled from Fusion etc.

My favourite addition they've made is the randomizer, where they've got a few options, which randomize only additional item locations, and leaves the core items where they are, or my favourite, AM2Random, which randomises everything... When you get a seed that makes the bombs collectable until late-game, it's a real challenge getting through the game. You could get lucky and get the powerful beam upgrades early, or space jump etc. but it's all random, and challenges the sequence breaking in the game.

That's one of my biggest gripes with Samus Returns, they tried to break most sequence breaking, with the slippery surfaces everywhere, and one-wall wall jumping not possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

While I think Samus Returns is good it relied too much on the counter mechanic to do any sort of damage to enemies.

AM2R is far better. It's a really expertly made game and I'd recommend it to all metroid fans.

The game was finished when Nintendo C&D'ed it which to be fair to nintendo was the best thing they could do, it meant the game was out there and they protected their IP and the fact they haven't gone hard on them seems to suggest it a unofficial endorsement of the project.

Have you tried it in AM2Random mode? Best NG+ mode I've ever played, and having to pull off as many sequence breaking tricks to get through the game made it a really rewarding and satisfying (if somewhat frustrating in the start) runs of a game that I've ever played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nope, only played a normal playthrough.

If a randomiser run appears on GDQ I'll have to check it out.

The AM2Random ones, because they're fully random, often have the bombs off somewhere mid-late game, and that makes it kinda crazy to play through.

Good description of the various random modes from Reddit:

Classic Mode -> Power-ups Only will only randomize Power-ups, not Items but you are guaranteed to get Bombs in the first Area.

Classic Mode -> Starting Paths Randomizes both Power-ups and Items but in separate pools, so you dont end up finding something like Varia Suit in place of where there's usually a Missile Pack. The choice between the Items you're given is what you get in the first Area. Bombs is the easiest, Screw Attack the hardest.

Split Random is like Starting Paths except you dont get to pick what you find in the first Area.

AM2Random is the true Random Mode where anything can be anywhere. It's the most challenging but also by far the most fun.

Reviews should appear today from 2pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

I saw a preview last week or the week before from, I think, Nintendo Life and Alex said that the counter mechanic is far less prominent in this game and not as important as it was in Samus Returns. It's there more as an option rather than a semi-requirement like it was in SR. Hopefully Dread will be more to your taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Famitsu have scored Metroid Dread – 9/8/9/8. Silly Japanese, what do they know? I bet they won't buy the game in large numbers either.

The review embargo lifts in 20 minutes time.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/metroid-dread/critic-reviews

Famitsu reviews mean nothing as they accept advertising revenue for good scores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,357 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Ya, I don't put much stock in Famitsu reviews. Still, it's the first.

Reviews out. 88 metacritic. Essential from Eurogamer. 9/10 metro game central.

Sounds like a corker.

88 average so far

only criticisms are that the formula feels a bit long-in-the-tooth due to lack of innovation on same and some down points for reliance on melee counters

Yeah sounds great! Thank God.

Looks like 11-15 hours long too.

Luckily I'd say unlike all the reviewers, I haven't played too many Metroidvanias so wouldn't be as sick of the formula.

I get most good Metroidvania games for the Switch and I never get tired of the formula. I think the are just saying that for the sake of being edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Getting GREAT reviews.

Sounds like we have a classic on our hands.

Nintendo and their brilliant Spanish dev team, Mercury Steam, save the day!

Couple of lines from the EuroGamer review:

Perhaps the finest praise I can lay upon Metroid Dread's world is that, in atmosphere and splendour, it's easily the measure of Super Metroid's Zebes or Metroid Prime's Tallon IV - no mean feat, really.

And:

This is a modern Metroid, a 2D adventure delivered with triple-A panache, yet one that retains the grace and poise that's always marked the highlights of this series, and marked it out from its many imitators. How blessed we are to have Samus properly back, and what a marvel it is to be reminded how special Metroid can be. The wait, I'm delighted to say, was somehow worth it.

*sits hitting F5 on the tracking page*

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

"Parcel data received from sender

Head Office"

Hope its here for Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Pre-ordering this tomorrow with the Gamestop trade in deal. Only thing is I've never played a Metroid game before. Better look up some story recaps before starting this. Great to see it review so well.

Advertisement