Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Bank Holiday and other compensation for Covid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As I said ...always 😊 and again , nail on the head !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Bank Holiday on 1st February, write out a list of frontline staff who knowingly went into work buildings where there definitely was Covid, not just that there might be, give them all 1k. We'll get half it back in tax anyway.

That's it. Mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree with bank holiday.... as regards bonus absolutely not... all hse staff are very well paid... i happened to have to bring a person for a HSE interview couple of ago at 9.30 morning... Because they were nervous we were there well before the time. I was in the car and i noticed nearly all cars were pretty new and mostly up-market type cars though i did see a couple of bangers...

Theyh have enough... give it to the politicians???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Would you include self employed people and contractors who went into hospitals etc in that?

Post edited by Jinglejangle69 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Very bitter post maestroamado, reminds me of a comment many years ago from a certain high management figure that clerical officers shouldn't be able to afford a car lest they get ideas above their station.

So what if someone chooses to spend their money on a nice car, chances are it's on PCP and they don't actually own it...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Dickie10

The Bank Holiday at the start of Februraru is exactly what the economy of the country could do with every year, get people spending in pubs /hotels/restauraunts , huge tax intake each bank holiday for very little outgoing

I'm not bitter at all but i think your on the defensive... i know loads of people who works for hse and i have an idea of whats happening... I was actually chatting a pretty senior hse person this very afternoon about whats going on....

All i am saying the hse are out sourcing what is i think their job... The Government are paying charities instead of having professionals in place... how the Government and HSE do it is up to them but whats happening now is not working...

People can spend as they please once the job is done...

regards

I presume Bank holiday the first MONDAY in February , not just the 1st of Februaury which would lead to another paddys day mess of a day off in the middle of the week no good to anyone. i think the time could be now to grasp the nettle and switch paddys day to the nearest monday to march 17th whether thats march 14th some years or march 20th others. crazy to have a our biggest national holiday on a random tuesday or thursday which is a disaster for both tourism and hospitality and small business, you will see huge sick leave this year with paddys day on a thursday with people taking friday off or ringing in sick, same on a tuesday , people pull a sickie monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Not sure if serious.

It's celebrated on the 17th because that's the date he supposedly died. I don't know how long we've been celebrating it but the 17th is synonymous with St Patrick's Day. Tradition is important.

The whole world celebrate it on the 17th. Would you suggest that we celebrate it on a different date to everyone else or "make" everyone else change to suit some agenda we have around tourism?

No but it just makes business and economic sense, whats the difference? surely people would rather a bank holiday monday?

• Advertisement

The difference is detailed in my post.

I'd like to see the detrimental effect having St Patrick's Day on a Tuesday or the like has anyway. Every street in Ireland is full for a portion of the day with parades and the like. Many pubs are full. It's a popular week for people to take off because they only lose 4 days holiday as opposed to 5. Usually coincides with Cheltenham too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

The latest Bank Holiday idea seems odd, is this an extra reward for everyone ?

It is. Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

What's intriguing about these alledged magical €20 million tourism boost a BH would generate is how will hospitality staff be feeling having to work presumably on this new BH , I guess it's business as usual, F**K hospitality staff

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They get a days holiday to take at another time.

You clearly don't know how the hospitality sector works.

War broke out at the FG parliamentary party meeting tonight, Leo promising the sun moon and stars, serious unease at his late late show approach, something for everyone in the Audience ( if you work in the public sector of course)

At this juncture, I'd be surprised if government proceed with anything other than a BH, which incidently, I would welcome.

I worked in it for 15 years and still do the odd occasion.

Your 15 years should better help you understand exactly how it works for most hospitality staff, they'll work the BH, there'll be arguments over what their BH pay should be, alternatively they then, might get an extra day off, weeks later (if they are lucky), but more than likely not. My own near 30 years in the business taught me that.

Good night 😏

Not entirely sure why you need the condescending attitude really.

If there's an extra bank holiday then there will be a requirement for a whole host of people to work. Doctors, Nurses, Gardai, Retail etc. It's just part of life. Being honest when i was working in a bar it didn't really matter to me if it was a Bank Holiday or not. I still had to do my shift regardless and if it was busy the night went faster anyhow, or at least seemed to.

We can't have it every way. Everything, or at least most things have a knock on affect. Give front line workers some kind of financial bonus costs money and may cause disenfranchisement amongst other workers. An extra bank holiday and people have to work while others are off and maybe deal with more than they usually do. It's just the way it goes unfortunately.

When they were on the PUP, they got every bank holiday "off"... did you prefer that? 🙄

Scrap the cap!

You make recall or perhaps conveniently not, they had EVERY DAY OFF AND FOR MONTHS, through not fault of theirs.

Silly PUP bashing nonsense, tiresome and absurd.

• Advertisement

I neither work for the HSE nor own a car so I've no reason to be on the defensive.

Many taxpayer-funded services have been outsourced to "charities", mostly religious, as long as the State has existed and some for quite a while before that. Many (not all) of these staff have similar T&Cs to public servants with similar duties, but are paid less. So we get a half-assed service, badly managed, state pays the bills but has little control, no financial transparency as to where the "charity"'s funds really go, the staff aren't being paid what they should, and the service users are regarded as charity cases not people with rights and entitlements.

I use inverted commas around "charity" because charitable giving is a voluntary act, paying taxes is not. Taking taxpayer funds and giving them to these bodies is not charity.

Everyone gets shafted - except the Catholic Church which has always regarded vulnerable children and adults as fair game and a captive audience for preaching... or worse.

Scrap the cap!

Whooosh. The point flew right over your head.

Another bank holiday means more business / income / tips for hospitality staff, you'd think they'd be appreciative of that after what's happened to the industry, but you're still whinging.

Scrap the cap!

Your point was quite clear, snide, demeaning and silly , quite an achievement for a one like comment, didn't fly over my head at all.

I'm sure the hospitality staff that are left are tickled pink all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I like the idea of a bank holiday. Finally something for the working person and not just those on social welfare.

I do feel for self employed people though who will get no benefit.

Eactly.

Like a lot of other people, if I don't work, I don't get paid. coming off the back of 18 months where I seemed to be not working more than working, an additional day of not getting paid isn't exactly welcome.

I expect the new BH be in July as summer best...

Trouble it need be early in month so we have choice between 4th and 12th...

If you don’t want snide and demeaning points you probably shouldn’t make them yourself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Láidir agus Dílis

Michael D. is after announcing a public holiday for 12th July.

• Advertisement

Very funny I'm sure...

But seriously, we should have one on the first Monday in July, space it equally between the June and August public holidays.

Need one at the start of Feb, too. Just don't call it after a mythological religious figure, tyvm.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement