Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City Edge Project (Dublin)

Options
  • 05-10-2021 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Not sure if there's already a thread about this. I just stumbled across it recently.

I said to my wife a couple of years ago that the industrial estates inside the M50 are prime to be developed and move the industrial estates further out. Now it looks like Dublin City Council and South Dublin City Council are planning on developing around the Naas Road, Ballymount and City West. Up to 40,000 homes.

The City Edge Project | A Transformative Initiative for Dublin City

Will probably have a population similar to Tallaght. It's at the very early stages at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭tigger123

I drive though that part of the city regularly enough and it so grim. Delighted to see something planned for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Trafficwise it's going to be absolutely mental. The Long Mile road and Naas road are already at a stand still during peak commute times....madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Realistically, it's going to need trains and buses to be the dominant transport, as is most of the rest of the city, which will require new infrastructure. You can't have a city growing like Dublin is and still expect so many people to be driving to work in their own cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I don't have anything meaningful to say other then wow, what a website design choice from SDCC/DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

While this as a project/masterplan may take an age to come to anything, much of the change will happen anyway. Royal Liver and Fiat/old Nissan sites are going to be converted to residential/hotel/mixed use as it is. Two further industrial sites - Gowan and Modern Plant - on the Naas Road are up for sale already and are not going to continue to be industrial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Unfortunately with the overwhelming return to the office an opportunity was missed. If the vast majority of office workers would be able to continue working from home this would free up a huge amount of traffic in Dublin. The way I see it at the moment Dublin is on the brink of becoming the L.A. of Europe. Everything is spreadout and it takes ages to get from one side of the city to the other. In addition to buses we need an underground tube/metro system like in most other capital cities in Europe. I doubt that this is happening though so people will continue to be stuck for hours during their commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Metro was kicked down to 2034. It will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

Anybody know anything about what's happening with this? Apparently there's a 15 storey student living block looking for approval and a local TD has filed an objection.

We live nearby, sizeable apartment blocks are going up on Long Mile and Muirfield Drive but I'm not sure what exactly is considered part of City Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Probably it will just be a gradual process of building monstrous housing units out on the west of Dublin bit by bit as opposed to one mass project.

Megaprojects in general tend not to work out these days. Due to bureaucratic nonsense, spiraling costs, box-tick hiring practices and general incompetence, large-scale planning isn't as feasible as it once was. For an example of this, look at the children's hospital under construction in Dublin.

Advertisement