Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sums up how I feel about every Ubisoft style game or most stuff out of Sony:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Are you saying this isn't a reskin of the same old formula going back to 10+ years?

Shocked i say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Someone who found the mechanics of Far Cry 5 tedious and boring finds Far Cry 6 tedious and boring shocker.

To use a similar analogy to one I used earlier, it's like being sick of the Fast and Furious series and then somehow being hacked off when Fast and Furious 9 is essentially more of the same but with some shiny new things around the surface.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both of which are valid opinions. People need to realise that a review is a statement of opinion and not someone trying to agree with your own opinions. Videogame fans can't seem to accept that although you see it creeping into more populist films as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

That change of tying learning abilities to loot bought seems an egregious change. I'd have zero interest in Far Cry 6. I played Far Cry 5 and New Dawn. New Dawn I enjoyed - it was fairly concise compared to the main game and it tried something different with the outpost that was kind of interesting. Far Cry 5 was a fairly woeful slog though looking back on it and I don't think I can bring myself to play through another game like that at that length. I know Retro has a dislike of Horizon Zero Dawn but even though it follows the same sort of template, I found it a much more interesting game - the abilities you learn and the gameplay mechanics made it a lot more fun.

The game that killed open-world games, and gaming for me overall for a while, was Spiderman. I sunk so many hours into that and by the end of that game I wasn't getting any enjoyment out of it at all. It became an absolute chore for me and I still don't understand why I persisted in playing it. The first ten hours of flinging myself around the city as Spiderman was a joy but it slowly chipped away at that with the same tedious missions in every district.

Of course they are entitled to them. Claiming I can't accept that is a very strange and defensive thing to throw at me and missing my point.

People are entitled to view or feel how they feel about games and for every bona fide classic, some people will hate the game and that's their prerogative. If someone hates this game, power to them, but if they hated other Far Cry for years then them hating the new one is hardly interesting.

My issue here more is the logic or value in having someone review a game from a franchise they're very clearly tired of and done with. There's very little value in it for the reader when everyone and their dog knows that Far Cry is going to largely follow a similar formula to before.

Not to mention that this reviewer gave up on the game fairly early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While I mostly agree, surely it highlights the issue that the franchise is stagnating at this stage. It's the 6th main title, not to mention the various large expansions it's had. It isn't evolving past what it's previously offered enough to entice people who may have previously disliked the games, and people who did previously like the games are now beginning to get tired and jaded of it.

At least with Assassin's Creed Origins, Ubisoft changed up the formula enough that it could entice new players in while still trying to keep it familiar to existing fans, because the franchise was stagnating. Then Odyssey and Valhalla expanded on that. It doesn't seem like Far Cry is trying to evolve the formula in any real way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A review that basically confirms the fact it's the same old Far Cry is still a valid and useful review though. I also don't think that sites should only give games to people who are already interested in the game either, it's really useful to have a broad range of views on a game, and it's not like there's a shortage of reviews out there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shades of shooting the messenger here; if Far Cry 6 is eliciting a reaction of "ye gods, change the formula a bit", maybe it's time to ... change the formula a bit. The analogy with Fast & Furious doesn't really track 'cos that series makes pains to have new set-pieces to entertain and keep ones interest; or they'll take their ongoing story and throw in a grenade to excite the audience (such as: Dom has a brother!!). There's a thematic formula in those films - not a rigid structural one.

These Far Cry games are exercises in copy & paste; obviously, they're still selling so whether there even is an argument to switch things up is valid if the games are a success, is another matter.

• Advertisement

Sure but that reviewer gave up on the game fairly early on so how would they ever know what's been changed unless it was apparent in the first couple of hours?

I fairness to the author, it's also not a review but an opinion piece. I've not checked up I'm sure if Vice did review it they gave it to someone else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Given the nature of the series, I daresay a few hours of play will reveal most mechanics. While being honest, how often has any mainstream game hidden major mechanics or aspects behind a few hours investment? Off the top of my head I can only think of something like The Messenger, where it went from a Ninja Gaiden game to a Metroidvania after a significant investment of time.

Ah hey if that's the case, that's fair enough, I may have mistaken it for a review in which case, bailing after a few hours doesn't affect an opinion piece.

And to others who are arguing that I'm suggesting negative reviews or tired reviews don't count or aren't valid, I never once claimed that. I simply said that its hardly a shock that someone who hated Far Cry 5 hated Far Cry 6. If anything, I'm agreeing that its relatively formulaic.

I wasn't specifically aiming at you but can see why you got that impression. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'll probably give this one a try at some stage, but only because I got a code for it free with my graphics card back in December!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I could fire up Far Cry 3 and give a review of Far Cry 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Spooch

Has Brexit shagged Gamestop these days? Last coupe of games I've preordered were delayed by days/weeks because of shipments held up in Customs in the UK. Went to pick up Metroid Dread today and your man behind the counter says they hope to get stock in the next few weeks. Like ffs whats the point.

Where else does physical copies of games? Smyths? Argos has **** all most of the time. Sick **** of Gamestop but feel like it's the only option

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Brexit has shagged everything. I ordered stuff from MyProtein over 2 months ago. It never arrived and I got a refund 2 weeks ago. Then it arrived yesterday.

Pick an aspect of life. Brexit has fúcked it over big time. I believe we're trying to pivot towards direct trade with EU now but obviously some aspects like games mean we're probably still shipping from UK for the "convenience" of the English language version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was in Sports Direct today and they have Fifa 22 stand by the door where they are selling the standard edition for 92 euro. *Insert confused Jackie Chan meme*.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And someone will still pay it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Played a bit of The Witcher 3 just now. Looks amazing at 4k 100-120fps and Freesync on my 4k HDR Tv. Didn't actually play the game properly just rode around and walked a bit in the map bit like when I do the same in GTA V but drive around the map in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WLad

Hi,

Looking to buy a gaming setup and wondering if this is good value, don't know very much so any advice would be appreciated. Asking price is 980. I don't particularly need the peripherals but I'd probably take them anyway.

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2 GHz 6 Cores / 12 Threads

GPU - MSI Radeon 5600 XT Gaming X/Z (with 14 Gbps VBIOS update)

RAM - 16GB 3466 MHz C16 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Dual-Channel (running at 3600MHz)

SSD System - 1TB M.2 NVMe Crucial P2

SSD Data - 1TB M.2 SATA WD Blue

Motherboard - MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX

PSU - 750W be quiet! Straight Power 11 80 PLUS Gold

WiFi & Bluetooth - TP-Link Archer TX3000E|AX3000 PCIe

Case - Corsair 275R Airflow

CPU Cooler - Wraith Prism RGB

Keyboard - Durgod Taurus K320 keyboard with Cherry Brown switches

Mouse - Corsair Ironclaw RGB wired USB mouse Flight Stick - Thrustmaster T.

Flight Stick X for Flight Simulator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If this is just for games then maybe an Xbox series x or s would be simpler, better and a lot cheaper. I see you've a controller for ms flight sim, so this is why I'm also asking as it's also available on xbox.

Wasn't mad about The Outer Worlds, but fingers are crossed for Avowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You didn't like Outer Worlds? I loved it and was a bit pissed they only released two DLC's rather than four.

Ah it was okay. I just hoped for something on par with/better than New Vegas and it fell short for me personally.

Anyway, more on Avowed;

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I'd be more interested in hearing from people that aren't complete fanboys. In fairness to both of them, they're not rabid, foaming at the mouths types, but they definitely put a more positive slant on stuff from MS than most.

In saying that, I remember being incredulous when Jez said that Sea of Thieves would be a massive hit, and it turns out he was far closer to reality than I was.

Advertisement