Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

It's very simple really - guide for €1k per 1kWp and add about €1k per 2.5kW of battery

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Proach

Before it after grant? Havent been able to get a quote like that tbh. Contacted about 5 companies

Post edited by Proach on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The oft quoted €1k per kWh is a bit idealistic IMO. My price was lauded as great value but I didn't hit the 1/1 figure either (although it was close).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I got 5.2Kwp , 8.2Kwhr battery , Eddi diverter (call it €500) not 6 weeks ago, for €8500.

Using the rough formula of €1k per 1Kwp and €1k for every 2.5Kwhr battery, it would have been

€5,200 + ((8.2/2.5) x €1000) + €500 (Eddi) = €8,980

So yeah, it is possible to even beat it. That said prices have risen slightly since then, but I think ballpark that formula is on the money (excuse the pun) . Now if it's within of a couple of 100 quid....then it's much to a muchness really. The MAIN thing here is to avoid the hard core gouging that's going on. Sure we all want the lowest possible price, but anything that avoids the fleecing lads is a "win"!

PM me if you want the details - but it's not the Enniskillen lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭zac8

Thanks for the feedback on my earlier quote. Got another one today from an installer recommended by pm:

4.1kW

11 x Qcells 375w G9 gapless mono

Solis Hybrid Inverter

PureDrive II - 5kW Battery

Eddie Diverter

€10,995 before grant

and...

6kW

16 x Qcells 375w G9 gapless mono

Solis Hybrid Inverter

PureDrive II - 5kW Battery

Eddie Diverter

€12,350 before grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well, using the ballpark formula yourself, to give an rough cost

• 4.1Kwp + 5Kwh battery + eddi should be in the region of 6500-7000 (after grant)
    • 6Kwp + 5Kwh battery + eddi should be in the region of 8500 ish (after grant)

So they are competitive quotes. Certainly no gouging going on there but I'd ring around - good chance you can save yourself a few quid towards the heating bill this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Option 2 with some haggling and a discount code

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Seeing a few people getting quotes for the puredrive 2. Any ideas of the price differential with it vs a pair if pylontech us2000s? As I understand it the puredrive can support full continuous 5kw discharge load (not just a peak) whereas the pylontech u2000s are recommended to only push half that amount but can peak together up to 5kw? So if at say 6pm when the inverter is relying heavily on the batteries and I draw the full 5kw for an extended time the pylontech batteries might give up or throttle? (It's a given that both systems would run out of juice pretty quickly under that kind of sustained load but I'd prefer to go with the one that could handle that load for the longest time)

In that case its the  puredrive 2 then. When you get solar in and everyone in the house learns how to use it best the battery can last but if you want it to last all night during winter then you need more of them.

Start with 5kw and see how it goes an add more at a later date.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Pylontech is 1.2kW single, 2.4kW with additional one added not 5kW, don't know rate if 3 or more

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

Yep sorry was thinking of putting 4 in and mixed my numbers up. Will price up the puredrive and see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Dyness batteries, any thoughts? Seem to be offered by some due to the shortage of stock of Pylontech.

Cheaper and not proven YET. But having said that we hadn't a clue about BYD Pylontec Puredrive ect a few years ago and they worked out well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

No experience of their workmanship, I'm saying to avoid at all costs because they are completely overpriced and that they try and appear as if they are a price comparison website but they aren't at all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

It really isn't, if you're not in that ballpark you're getting fleeced, SaaS can do it foe the small systems and a number of other suppliers can for larger ones

In that ball park, yes. But the impression often given is that if you're above that then it's too expensive. As I say, my price was praised as one of the best seen here at the time and it was probably slightly above that level.

One way to catch them out is ask for a list of suppliers/installation company's they compare with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Are you getting the 600 grant for the Zappi? The quote you had included the Zappi in the 10750. You'll have a full Zappi/Eddi/Harvi/Hub package so that counts for something - assuming you want/need it. It includes optimizers and a hybrid inverter if you want to add a DIY battery later. You're also not getting a grant. I would say quote is a bit on high side though nothing crazy. Ask them for their best price for adding a battery. Say another 750 and add a battery? Unless you are planning to DIY a battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Christ I wish I'd found this thread a month ago. I shopped around a bit, but obviously not enough.

17 365W Suntech panels for a 6kW system, 5kwh battery and inverter (both Huawei) with install for €16k before grant. I'm very happy with it all, but reading the last few posts is giving me buyer's remorse. 😭

• Advertisement

Ah that sucks, but if its any consolation it could of been 20k if you did no research.

Not much help I know, anyway Welcome to the club.

Just seen someone on Facebook claim that connecting smaller batteries like the PylonTech in series, rather than using 1 larger battery, will degrade them quickly.

Is that complete BS? Sounds like to me.

If you connect two Pylontechs in series you get 96V. So that doesn't work. Maybe that person is talking about the size of the individual cells? Degradation depends among other things on the charge/discharge rate expressed in terms of C. 1C = discharge fully in one hours. 2C = discharge fully in half an hour. A larger battery would have a lower C for the same current so would last longer as a rule. But temperature and depth of discharge are probably equally important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Proach

If I build my own battery you'd probably read about it in the papers a few days later.

Will get their best quote but very happy with these guys overall in terms of service

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭trackdaychamp

Any comments on the hardware below or questions I should ask fitter?

I'm not going for grant as our limited company will buy it for commercial building, claim back the vat and use Accelerated Capital Allowance (ACA) to write off the full amount in year one against tax. No batteries specified by me as electric car will be at the premises for at least some of each working day. East/West array. I have a RECI who will do some of the work so that explains "supply only" bit below...

Hope I'll have an app or some visual software I can play with after it's fitted. What is best here?

Supply of 60x Qcells ML-G9 380w panels [22.8 kwh], Solis 20kW inverter & associated cables, isolators and accessories on DC side of system €10,000

Supply only of 3ph generation meter, 3ph AC isolator & Zappi V2 3ph tethered €920

Supply of mounting frame €1600

Installation of mounting frame, PV panels, DC cable run inc DC isolators €3250

Nett cost = €15,770.00

VAT @ 13.5% = €2128.95

Total inc VAT = €17,898.95

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Don't see anything wrong with that at all. It does pay to go big. (and be on a commerical roof where you have space to work, cable runs are easy.. etc)

Dont forget to add in your own sparks costs in for your payback, but ACA and getting the VAT back is a big help.

Putting solar in on a commerial/industrial should be a no brainer!

If you ever did want to add storage down the line, there is always stand alone storage inverters that can then be installled afterwards.

But with that sort of array you'll be running the office on solar nearly every day.

Looks pretty decent. Ask them about monitoring. Will your setup be supported by the Solis cloud monitoring or whatever its called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

All thoughts welcome on this one. Paging MAULBROOK :)

Before grant 11,500 , Less grant  3,000, TOTAL     8,500

12 panels 3 east back , 3 south side of hipped roof, 6 west front of house.. Mostly governed by available roof space at side and back.

Size of PV array quoted: 4.14kW 

PV Panels quoted: 12 Qcells G9 345w gapless all blk mono 

c/w Tigo optimisers for S & E facing panels

Inverter quoted: Solis Hybrid Inverter - c/w Home Energy monitoring App 

Battery System quoted: PureDrive II - 5kW Battery

Mounting system quoted: Renusol

PV Hot water diverter: Marlec Solar iboost

Price includes all additional cables & accessories around the

supply and install of the PV array. Price also includes BER if required for SEAI grant.

At least 1k too high.

• Advertisement

A little bit of a haggle and the discount code. That should do it.

You talked to Darrell so you know your in good hands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement