Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implant crown keeps getting loose - is this normal?

• 07-10-2021 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

As above, I got an implant on my lower left molar a year ago, but the crown loosens every couple of months - it just feels like a loose tooth would.

I have had it tightened twice already and it is now loose again.

I am due to start treatment for 2 further implants (one beside the original implant and another on the other side molar) and am wondering should I choose another dentist, or continue with my original one?

She was recommended to me (based in Newry) so maybe I should just get the others done? But they are expensive so would appreciate advice

Is it coming loose as I am over-compensating due to the other 2 missing teeth, which the dentist says may be the case?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have two in about 20 years now (one lower jaw molar and one top jaw front tooth), neither have ever needed tightning but they are not standalone, they have teeth on either side so maybe that helps? The front one does have a slight gap for asthetics in the middle, both are rock solid though with no wiggle ever unlike the natural teeth that always wiggle a tiny amount. I'd certainly get a second (professional) opinion on it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

Yeah that is what I am thinking , appreciate the response !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

When you say the crown comes loose, is the dentist using a small driver and ratchet to tighten it back down into position, or is she filling the crown with dental cement and pressing it down into position?

as far as I can tell it's the former - she is not pressing so much as screwing it back in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In that case it is likely an issue with the contact between the implant crown and the tooth above which needs to be adjusted, or, the crown part needs to be remade as there is problem with the abutment (connector) and screw. An implant crown should not be repeatedly coming loose, talk to the Dentist and ask her to sort it out.

• Advertisement

I will go back to the original dentist to resolve so, rather than go elsewhere and start again

Advertisement